Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Felt AR5 Vs Boardman Team Carbon

• 01-04-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Just wondering if anyone has a preference to any of these two bikes. Will be using for sprint triathlons and training rides.

Boardman Team Carbon- SRAM Rival group set - gets great reviews and is 1250euro. - looks ok
    Felt AR5, looks fantastic - 105 groupset, 1999 euro (ouch), but there are few reviews on line.

Not sure whether to part with an additional 750 euro, but summer is coming and I have to decide!:confused:

Think I might get a little buzz everytime I take out the felt! but value for money the boardman wins hands down. Cant decide. Please help me make up my mind!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

city cycles have a lot of felts in stock go down check one out and see if the extra buzz is €750 eurons worth of buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

OP,

I am selling my Felt AR4. It's only 6 months old and if you're interested we can sort out a price. I have a trade in agreed with my LBS but if it suits......

It has the Ultegra set and this is the ad I had up on the adverts forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055863018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bignaldo

Would love to buy your AR4 - (tasty machine), but I am hopefully going to buy a new bike through the cycle to work scheme. I wonder can you buy quick release saddle bags I can put on the new bike when the boss is around?

Why would you posibly want to sell something as beautiful as the AR4? I would hang it on the wall like a piece of art instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

To be fair it's a beauty and I can't fault it but it just wasn't for me. I was hoping to go down the road of Triathlons but have changed my mind and am going back to Specialized as it's more of and all rounder.

For what it's worth I would reccommend the Felt-there's nothing per se wrong with it. They are lighter than what I was used to but against that the Boardman keeps getting rave reviews. Happy hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 bones36

I got a boardman on the btw scheme and never looked back, no matter what bike you buy off the shelf, you are goin to eventually upgrade components, i v upgraded wheels to fulcrum racing 1s, 2nd hand, also a sella italia saddle and a set of t2 tri bars, the bike now stands me 1750, still €300 under the ar5, and i think youd have a lot more bike for ur buck, but when your getting ur bike, think down the road to when ur upgrading components. good luck. see pics

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=ffc4bfa5-4703-11df-be9a-001e0bcb3356&Aux=54|0|8CCA927E993E600||

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=19bb6602-4704-11df-bf7c-001e0bcb32de&Aux=14|0|8CCA9280062FAB0||

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=3077b934-4704-11df-9908-001e0bcae954&Aux=14|0|8CCA92818271DC0||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bones36 wrote: »
    I got a boardman on the btw scheme and never looked back

Ah, stability issues; I knew it was too good to be true.

I can ride my Planet-X with no hands whilst looking over my shoulder.

Iv been on this bike at 65kph on a decent, not sure what your saying, but looking over your shoulder with no hands is a new way of riding a bike to me, there is little or no flex from the bike, the ride is harsh and aggressive, but new saddle soaks up the pain. would`nt change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Iv been on this bike at 65kph on a decent,
    I've got up to 67kph on my Planet X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Iv been on this bike at 65kph on a decent, not sure what your saying, but looking over your shoulder with no hands is a new way of riding a bike to me, there is little or no flex from the bike, the ride is harsh and aggressive, but new saddle soaks up the pain. would`nt change it.

Funny I got up to 65kph descending off Saggart Hill last week on a Boardman. Detected a slight wobble, hoping it was just meeting the wind at a particular angle that moved the bike.

If it was a pre-full on shimmy I would be nervy next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I got a wobble descending of Calary into Kilmacanogue on my Planet-X, as witnessed by the user with the same name. It was a side wind thought and not the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Note to self: must make jokes more obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I got the joke, yer man Bones didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Note to self: must make jokes more obvious.

I think the joke was fairly obvious, you probably need to make more use of those smilies.

Point takin Lumen,
    i really must get out more often , maybe if u put knock knock in front of it, i would of copped it.
    drat.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The only thing is the Boardman is exclusive to Halfords and as far as I know they do not honour the bike to work scheme as they have a different voucher system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

I got a Boardman Team Carbon from Halfords in Sligo and they do the bike to work scheme. In fact they have leaflets on their counters about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I also got a boardman bike through the cycle to work scheme in halfords cork. They are an excellent bike and are hard to beat at the price.

They do in conjunction with one4all voucher system. fairly painless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bignaldo

Thanks for the advice bones, I was 99 percent sure i was gona go for the boardman, now I just have to splash the cash. Ar5 may look the part, but its not worth the extra750 squid.

On another subject, do you use a turbo trainer to rack up the miles when the weather is crappy. Is it a good investment? Got to find a way to get more miles on the legs. With two young kiddies to look after its hard to find time to get on the road. Thought doing a few miles in the garage after dark may be the answer, what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Bignaldo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice bones, I was 99 percent sure i was gona go for the boardman, now I just have to splash the cash. Ar5 may look the part, but its not worth the extra750 squid.

On another subject, do you use a turbo trainer to rack up the miles when the weather is crappy. Is it a good investment? Got to find a way to get more miles on the legs. With two young kiddies to look after its hard to find time to get on the road. Thought doing a few miles in the garage after dark may be the answer, what do you think?

lights.. be mad to be indoors with this weather whatever time of day :)

• Advertisement

likewise, dont mind the weather, cover up well and get out there.buy the wife flowers more often, i have 4 small kids and the flower thing is working a treat for the training, if u cant cycle get running or swimming. leave the trainer until winter. good call on the bike.

Advertisement