Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to block chimney in between use?

• 01-04-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I have an open fireplace for solid fuel with a back boiler. There's a fierce draught in the room as it's sucking up air & it comes in under the doors and so forth.

We only use the fire on Saturday & Sunday evenings so is it safe enough to block it with an old pillow during the week once the embers are all out (ie; Monday morning through til Saturday afternoon)?

I realise it could be a bit messy but would prefer that to the draughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Forget the pillows why not try something like this? Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

1st wrote: »
    Forget the pillows why not try something like this? Link

Ooh they're nice.

Any ideas where I could something like that but cheaper? It's 200 dollars though! I would probably get something nice like that in the future, but need to get something now temporarily as it's so cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I use a balloon and it gets a nice air tight seal. Only issue is when it rains it can sometimes sound like a drum.

Leadership wrote: »
    I use a balloon and it gets a nice air tight seal. Only issue is when it rains it can sometimes sound like a drum.

Is this the balloons especially for chimneys? Where did you get it?

Do you take it out when you want to light the fire or do you have it in there permanently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

http://www.chimneyballoons.ie/

but a regular balloon might work just fine.

• Advertisement

Well I got an old bath mat & clamped it to the front of the fire guard so that it sort of cloaks the front of the fire place. I'll see if that makes a difference. Also got a draught excluder for the sitting room door for when we're in there.

I'd welcome any other suggestions of something that can be put in the chimney during the weekdays & removed at weekends for when we light the fire, that doesn't cost a bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Te baloon is the best idea i ever saw. The beauty of it is if you forget to remove it or it travels up to far the heat of the fire bursts it safely as far as I am aware.

My father used newspaper as a child.... I dont rec this....

Another idea is to have a down draft prenvention cowl fitted. Its the one shaped like a "H" or the spinny one. A good chimney sweep or roofer should know.

Good point re the balloon bursting, wouldn't be any safety issue as it would burst & only a small bit of plastic. Think I'll go with this.

Can you buy them in the likes of Woodies / Atlantic Home care etc?

Re the cowls, I look at that but my problem is I have up-draughts so don't think they'd sort it. Though there must by a system that deals with both - will have to save up for something decent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

You can also fit anti-draft ventilation like this:
    http://www.stadium-ventilation.co.uk/vents/Vent_Bkhole1_.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Sorry for late reply, the balloons are normal and bought from card shops etc. I blow it up and shove up the chimney until it has a good fit. Last point is that I do not remove the balloon I burst it when I light a fire and quite often forget then the fire will burst it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

krissovo wrote: »
    Sorry for late reply, the balloons are normal and bought from card shops etc. I blow it up and shove up the chimney until it has a good fit. Last point is that I do not remove the balloon I burst it when I light a fire and quite often forget then the fire will burst it.

That baloon is fine but your not ment to use it... There is a special baloon that is weighted for the purpose. Normal baloons loose air weekly.

That baloon is fine but your not ment to use it... There is a special baloon that is weighted for the purpose. Normal baloons loose air weekly.

But would that matter if only using it monday to friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hairyterry

Mink wrote: »
    I have an open fireplace for solid fuel with a back boiler. There's a fierce draught in the room as it's sucking up air & it comes in under the doors and so forth.

We only use the fire on Saturday & Sunday evenings so is it safe enough to block it with an old pillow during the week once the embers are all out (ie; Monday morning through til Saturday afternoon)?

I realise it could be a bit messy but would prefer that to the draughts.
    go to draftguard.info if you have an arched fireplace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

i dont think your suppost to block up a chimney,something to do with ventilation and carbon monoxide build up,others might know more

i dont think your suppost to block up a chimney,something to do with ventilation and carbon monoxide build up,others might know more

hi,
    firstly every house should have a carbon monoxide detector in their home as it only takes two breathfuls of this deadly gas to kill you.
    i recall about two years ago a house in ireland were there was a case of two deaths from this gas in a house with 4 open chimneys.
    the gas was from an inside boiler that hadnt been serviced.
    it is a very common practice in america to close off the chimney and there are many patented products for doing so.
    i myself patented a product for closing off arched fireplaces, it also has an open and close vent so you can still mantian a good air quality.
    my product can save heat and still be safe.
    you can see it on draftguard.info
    again i stress the point that every home needs a carbon monoxide detector, they are only 60 euros. no matter if the boiler is inside or out you still can get this gas from coal burning from a stove or other fireplace in another part of the house.
    but always get proffesional advice as it a matter for trained people,
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So long as the room has adequate air vents in the walls or windows (which it should do anyways) there's nothing to worry about. Simply blocking the fireplace doesn't make the room any more dangerous than your bedroom, unless there's poor ventilation.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So long as the room has adequate air vents in the walls or windows (which it should do anyways) there's nothing to worry about. Simply blocking the fireplace doesn't make the room any more dangerous than your bedroom, unless there's poor ventilation.

under new building regulations, a builder has now to leave the chimney by some method of being able to close it when not in use like the rest of europe. i find it funny they introduced these regulations after the building boom was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Sorry for resurrecting a old topic. I was just wondering from a carbon monoxide point of view is it okay to put one of those brush draft excluders on a door in a room with an open fire. The fire place is used occasionally. Vents in the windows are the only ventilation in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I covered a pillow in plastic and on windy days I stuff it up into the top of the fireplace. It blocks the chimney and also protrudes so that you cant miss it if you do go to light the fire. It makes a huge difference to the heat retention of my room and also gets rid of all that cold awful howling noise from the chimney.

As far as blocking the chimney being unsafe, I think it depends on circumstances. If you have normal activity such as coming and going (opening doors), vents, windows being used etc, then no worries. If you are inactive, live in a closed sealed apartment and smoke like a trooper, then I'd be a little concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ILoveSpuds

Hey All,

Sorry for yet again resurrecting an old thread but anyone any ideas or experience of doing this in an apartment block with an unused chimney? I've just wrapped old clothes in a plastic bag and stuffed them up over the unused fireplace as it will never ever be used and hasn't been in the last 4 years I have been here.

I just have a worry (and it may be a completley silly one!) but could other apartments be using the same flue as us with an open fire? As in, if a spark from another fire travelled up, could it land on my bags?? I would imagine not but anyone one who would know could really put my mind at rest!

This the only danger I see as the room is well ventilated with doors opening and closing and windows kept open often plus I have the bags visible so nobody could ever miss them if there ever was a fire put in place again.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement