Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooters: pros and cons

• 01-04-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I wonder what are the pros and cons of getting a motorised scooter, like a Vespa. A friend of mine uses one, but I see it as a bit of a hassle.

I'd like to know the following things, so you can prove me wrong:

1.) Is it difficult to learn how to ride the scooter?
    2.) Is it easy to carry personal belongings on scooter?
    3.) Is it good for long journeys (e.g a trip of 20 miles in one direction)
    4.) How often do you have to recharge or refill it with petrol?
    5.) Do you find it easy to park it?
    6.) Has your scooter ever been stolen?
    7.) Do you find it safe to ride?

Thanks for sorting out my confusion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I wonder what are the pros and cons of getting a motorised scooter, like a Vespa. A friend of mine uses one, but I see it as a bit of a hassle.

1. Compared to.....?
    2. Compared to.....?
    3. Compared to.....?
    4. Depends how much mileage you do, I was able to last a whole week on a €5 tank.
    5. Compared to....?
    6. No.
    7. Compared to....?

You see, everything is relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

1.) Not really,no more difficult than learning to ride any motorised bike. Some find the lack of gears a help,one less thing to worry about so to speak.

2.) Most new scooters have decent under-seat storage,you can add a Givi box to the back to increase storage.

3.) For a journey of 20 miles they're reasonably comfortable. Any longer and especially on a freezing day you'll find you get frozen solid as the only movement on your body is your fingers(and standing leg if you're stopping often.).

4.) Most new scooters are very fuel effecient,mine costs very little to run but it's all down to distance travelled.

5.) Path + Pole = Parking. Easy!

6.) Yes. An old 50cc scooter i had was stroked from outside my gaff. It was chaind to a ground anchor but they just cut the chain. Get as big a chain as you can and a brake disc lock.

7.) Yeah,i do. It's all about having your wits about you. Be always alert,you can never predict the potential movements of other road users. Be sensible.

If weather is dodgy,ie. Icy,greasy road following a shower on a dry road,conditions can be tricky. White lines,manhole covers can be lethal on greasy roads and black ice can catch anyone unawares. If you think conditions are too dodgy to drive in,leave the bike at home.

That's all based on riding scooters over the last 10 years. Started on 50cc,now i'm on a Yamaha xmax 125 and i love it,lovely bike to ride,plenty of cover thanks to the fairing and handles great.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

1.) I learned on a motorbike, so not sure, but other people found starting on a scooter easier due to lack of gears.
    2.) Some of them are great - storage under seat, top box, and a hook thingy in the space at the front to hang your shopping bags on.
    3.) Only really used it for shorter trips - don't know what it would be like for really long ones, but should be ok.
    4.) Depends on mileage really, but any scooter I've had was easy on fuel.
    5.) Yes, very handy.
    6.) Nope.
    7.) I found I didn't bother with wearing proper gear on it - which is stupid I know, not like the ground hurts any less cos you're on a scooter - but I'd throw on a helmet and gloves for the scooter, but wear full gear for the motorbike. Hence the weird little scar on my wrist that changes colour with the temperature. Plus I think (other people will know better than me) the smaller wheels make it a bit less reliable with encountering potholes and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

KamiKazi wrote: »
    1. Compared to.....?
    2. Compared to.....?
    3. Compared to.....?
    4. Depends how much mileage you do, I was able to last a whole week on a €5 tank.
    5. Compared to....?
    6. No.
    7. Compared to....?

You see, everything is relative.

I mean, I'd like to compare to an ordinary bike or BMX.

Advertisement