Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified network with limited access

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

So I just got in three lovely linkysys wireless N usb adaptors. Installation was a breeze, but typical with wireless, I ran into some horrific problems.

I'm unable to connect to the internet on two of the machines. It keeps coming up saying unidentified network with the "!" in a yellow triangle saying limited connectivity.

This has happend before and I was able to just input my ip address and etc and sorted it. Now that wont work.

I noticed from looking at my router admin page, all the values have changed from only a few months ago, its ip address, gateway and the other value have changed.

The dns are still the same.

But the two above and mac address were set to automatic.

So I changed them to manual, went into the adaptor properties, entered a unique ip address for both machines, and copied in the gateway, dns servers and the subnet.

But I'm getting nothing and I'm fresh out of ideas. The problem is only existing on the two new machines with the new usb adaptors. The two house laptops are fine as is my ipod touch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its very frustrating.

To note I have turned off the firewall, I dont run norton or any of that ****e, and I reset the router after the initial install of the new devices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

you could be getting the problem with the machines if the encryption key entered, or encryption type is set wrong. Sees the network but can't authenticate, thus the limited connectivity.

The fact that your IP address have changed on the router seems very unusual. Are you sure you're not looking at the WAN interface information? That can change quite regularly unless you're on a fixed IP.

Have you DHCP enabled on the router? If you do, this saves assigning IP address subnets gateways etc... to the adapters as it'll pick up the settings when it connects correctly.

Also, what operating systems are you running on the PCs, xp, vista or 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

WEll still no joy

I reset the router to factory settings.

From there everything is set to automatic and the ip address run through dhcp.

My ipod connected instantly simply requiring the wpa key.

My laptop connected instantly simply requiring the wpa key.

But my pc is still saying limited connectvity, unknown network.

Whats even weird was through all this my ipod and laptop worked correctly on the wireless, even though the numbers didnt match to the routers, which then set itself back to automatic from manual.

Tearing my hair out and there is just no solution available on the web from google searches, nothing is working.

I'm going to try re-assign some values but i doubt its going to work and a whole day of work has been lost : /

Any help would be great

Everyones machine in the house is fine, all my laptops and ipods are fine, but my main machine jsut keeps saying unknown network, im out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Did a system restore and everything working now fine, recognises my network and all is well.

Everything is running of auto ip assign which isnt ideal, but its working and thats all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

Are you sure you were looking at the internal ip address of the router?

If you were using the ip address, gateway and dns details for the WAN port on the router for your static settings on your pc then that's where you were going wrong. The only gateway and DNS settings that would be listed on a router configuration page is for the WAN port so I'm guessing you were.

The routers internal IP address(the one that your pc etc see) is the gateway that should be used on your pcs. It's normally 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 or possible 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.0.1. If you go to one of your pcs connected to the router, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all", it will tell you what your gateway(router) ip address is. The DNS ip is the same as the router ip also.

Besides all that, there's no reason not to use DHCP(automatically obtain an ip from the router) as you now are...

Advertisement