Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solaris licence change

• 01-04-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard about this recently? Came across an article today.

Solaris is no longer free basically. It's limited to 90 days usage. Weird.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Khannie wrote: »
    Anyone heard about this recently? Came across an article today.

Solaris is no longer free basically. It's limited to 90 days usage. Weird.

Its now over 5 years since Solaris 10 was released, the only people now installing it are large corporations who can well afford to pay for the support plan.

If I'm bored soon I might give OpenSolaris a go, to see how things are progressing with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Personally, I think Oracle will probably run Solaris/OpenSolaris into the ground. Oracle to me appear to be little more than a holding company for intelectual property. Even If they do keep Solaris on track, they won't be able to compete with the open nature of Linux. The days of licencing "Big Iron" Unix is behind us. Besides, the tehnically advanced features that they tout like ZFS and DTRACE are great, but the OS stack worth learning is the one that has the most momentum behind it. Solaris does not seem to have too much momentum at the moment. It's says it all when IBM are backing Linux for their operations.

How versatile is Solaris anyway? Linux appears to support everything from embedded devices, all the way up to serious number crunching boxes. Solaris will be around for the medium term at least, but it's longterm status is unknown at present. I really doubt Oracle will support the OpenSolaris project in the long term. I am putting my money behind Linux at this point. You can't argue with the sheer number of developers contributing to GNU/Linux presently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Just walk into a telecoms provider data centre, and you'll see a lot of the gear there is from Sun. They do some crazy tape storage solutions as well for data retention that have to be seen to be believed.

You'd have to imagine they'll optimize it to run Oracle db's, and sell it as a complete solution. As an OS, it is rock solid, or at least was in the good old days where it was mostly used for sparc's. Whether its as good on x86 I have no idea, but I'm guessing they'll need to get it there as I don't see much future for sparc development.

Advertisement