Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gloria jeans in the crescent gone?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Is Gloria Jeans gone from the Crescent?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

It was there last week so if it has gone, it went quickly and quietly. Sorry if it has....decent cup of coffee in there, not to mention toasted english muffins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The main issue with Gloria Jeans is that not alone is it an Australian company but the actual European arm of it is in the UK so the backup you get from head office level is slow and unpredictable.

Quite often they get their promotions posters in with £'s on them and told if they want them changed its out of their own pocket.

It wasn't a great Mall for the cafe to be on realistically for me anyway as I always park in the newer part of the underground and there isn't really much down that Mall to attract us down.

Rent in the crescent is also shocking but oddly enough its still cheaper than the City Centre.

The days where people can spend €3+ on a coffee and the same for a muffin are long gone so their days are numbered really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

closed since yesterday evening apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

There was a gloria jeans in the crescent?!!? wow. Shows why it closed I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Can't remember what it's called now for the life of me - but the ladies clothes shop opposite Seduzca has been closed down too...... it'll end up like the city center eventually- full of empty lots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Didnt even know there was a GLoria Jeans in the crescent ha ha. Vera Moda is gone now too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

No way :eek: That sucks I love Gloria Jeans and the only other one i go to is in Cork :mad: I love Vera Moda as well :( There will be nothing left in the crescent at this rate .... Town is like a ghost town with all the closed shops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah gloria jeans and vera moda are both gone... apparently the staff in vero moda were only told on sunday it was closing and then they were gone by monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Thats bad form on the poor staff most of them were working there years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Aww I love Vero Moda :( any sign of it opening in town?

There's a new cafe opening next to O'Briens in town :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Really surprised Gloria Jean's has gone. Was always quite full anytime I was there or even passed by. Foook sake, I'm fast runnin outta places to get a decent coffee round here. (Please no-one recommend BB's, I did say decent after all) RIP White Chocolate Oreo Chiller frappuccino* :(

*Maybe it's because the names were too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Aww I love Vero Moda :( any sign of it opening in town?

There's a new cafe opening next to O'Briens in town :)

I thought their store in town closed ages ago and the Crescent one became their main store for this area.

Think they were in Cruises Street when they were in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

Kess73 wrote: »
    I thought their store in town closed ages ago and the Crescent one became their main store for this area.

Think they were in Cruises Street when they were in town.

were they ever in cruises street?? there was a beweleys years ago alright but never remember gloria jeans. could be wrong though:rolleyes:

i was in the crescent tuesday and they were open and quite busy so its a wonder why it closed? rent was probably too high for them as it is in most cases in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

I really love my caramel chiller in Gloria Jeans. Its my birthday tomorrow and first thing i was doing was going into Gloria Jeans for a large chiller with cream.t was so nice to get a decent coffee either hold or cold. Im genuinely disappointed, wonder is it just temporary, could someone else take it over, could perhaps the rent be reviewed, sad too about Vero Moda, wonder again could the rent be reviews, two vero modo stores were reopened in athlone due to a revised rent agreement. it just so depressing seeing empty unit after empy unit, if the crescent are charging such high rents they are really shooting themselves in the foot. I really hope Gloria jeans reopens. I miss my chillers already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I found this out by ringing the crescent.
    I asked if it was gone permanently. They said yes.

daca88 wrote: »
    were they ever in cruises street?? there was a beweleys years ago alright but never remember gloria jeans. could be wrong though:rolleyes:

i was in the crescent tuesday and they were open and quite busy so its a wonder why it closed? rent was probably too high for them as it is in most cases in limerick

I was talking about Vero Moda being on Cruises Street in reply to Cherrycoke saying she loved that store and asking if it was opening in town.

I was talking about Vero Moda being on Cruises Street in reply to Cherrycoke saying she loved that store and asking if it was opening in town.

I don't think it was Kess.. but maybe I'm wrong. Better off for my bank a/c though :D

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I don't think it was Kess.. but maybe I'm wrong. Better off for my bank a/c though :D

It used to be on Cruises street to my knowledge is what I was saying.

Golden Pages also has it listed as being at 29 Cruises Street , Limerick as well as being at the Crescent Shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

Golden Pages also has it listed as being at 29 Cruises Street , Limerick as well as being at the Crescent Shopping centre.

sorry my bad, read the post wrong:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Really surprised Gloria Jean's has gone. Was always quite full anytime I was there or even passed by. Foook sake, I'm fast runnin outta places to get a decent coffee round here. (Please no-one recommend BB's, I did say decent after all) RIP White Chocolate Oreo Chiller frappuccino* :(

*Maybe it's because the names were too long?

If you're looking in the city centre, the nicest coffee is from Paparatzi on Denmark street. It's on the junction of Zwe-ton/BB's as you come down from Cruises Street. I like my coffee stronger than most places seem to make it and this is lovely. 2 Euro a cup which is good value as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Oh well No more caramel latte's for me . Damn they were nice .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Monsoon is at 29 Cruises St. And has been as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I went into the Cresent today,on my morning off,and was really loooking forward to my relaxing cup of coffee in Gloria Jeans,but alas it is nomore! Its one of the few coffee shops in town and the crescent that doesnt have sh*t Live 95fm blasting out at you while your trying to read your book.

Can anyone reccomend any nice,quite coffee shops in town,preferably with late opening? Cafe Noir seemes to be the best one but tends to get pretty packed at lunch time.

panda100 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend any nice,quite coffee shops in town,preferably with late opening?

I'd love somewhere to have late opening aswell :( Like Javas before.. It's something we badly need in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

If you're looking in the city centre, the nicest coffee is from Paparatzi on Denmark street. It's on the junction of Zwe-ton/BB's as you come down from Cruises Street. I like my coffee stronger than most places seem to make it and this is lovely. 2 Euro a cup which is good value as well.

Sounds good, I like my coffee strong too. Will definitely check it out, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to a notice a friend of mine saw on April 1st (Yes I get it may have been an April fools joke, but still) GJ at the crescent is going to be turned into a restaurant.

In the mean time either Starbucks or schollars/java's in UL are the best places to get coffee in the city. As far as I know they are open to the public, not just students :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In the mean time either Starbucks or schollars/java's in UL are the best places to get coffee in the city. As far as I know they are open to the public, not just students :)

UL is nowhere near the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

pwd wrote: »

Thanks[/QUOTe

Unfortunately Gloria Jeans did close on the 31st of March...I was one of the workers there and Im glad to see all the nice comments on the coffee, but it was the best coffee around. The reason we closed is because when you rent there you get a 5 year contract and every contract contains a break-out clause after 2 and half years. The crescent owners decided to put the shop out for bidding on the lease without us knowing and got offer a substantially high offer from someone for our unit and the one beside it. They intend to open a restaurant between the two. Essentially we got bought out and there was not much we could do about it. Our rent was 130,000e a year and if we were to compete it would of went to 150,000e. Although it was a very viable business and profit was being made, we could not compete with an extra 20,000e on the rent. It was absolutely disgraceful, we only got 2 wks notice...in these times they should be trying to maintain businesses and not destroy them. Many units have closed recently in the crescent due to the increase in rent and I suspect soon enough it will resemble a bigger version of the graveyard that is Parkway. There is the real explanation and oh spare a thought for the girls in Tally Weijl, they pay 250,000e rent a year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

UL is nowhere near the city centre.

Sorry what I meant by my comment was that it was the closest place to the city centre where where you can enjoy a decent coffee in peace!

• Advertisement

sumatra wrote: »
    pwd wrote: »

Thanks[/QUOTe

Unfortunately Gloria Jeans did close on the 31st of March...I was one of the workers there and Im glad to see all the nice comments on the coffee, but it was the best coffee around. The reason we closed is because when you rent there you get a 5 year contract and every contract contains a break-out clause after 2 and half years. The crescent owners decided to put the shop out for bidding on the lease without us knowing and got offer a substantially high offer from someone for our unit and the one beside it. They intend to open a restaurant between the two. Essentially we got bought out and there was not much we could do about it. Our rent was 130,000e a year and if we were to compete it would of went to 150,000e. Although it was a very viable business and profit was being made, we could not compete with an extra 20,000e on the rent. It was absolutely disgraceful, we only got 2 wks notice...in these times they should be trying to maintain businesses and not destroy them. Many units have closed recently in the crescent due to the increase in rent and I suspect soon enough it will resemble a bigger version of the graveyard that is Parkway. There is the real explanation and oh spare a thought for the girls in Tally Weijl, they pay 250,000e rent a year

So nothing has changed in how the centre management do business then.

Advertisement