Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poolbeg twin towers- should they stay or should they go

Options
  • 01-04-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Okay Joe Duffy in todays herald is pleading that they be saved. I would agree. Its part of the Dublin landscape and would be an awful shame if they were demolished.

Poolbeg Twin towers- Should they be preserved 119 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 119 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I voted yes for 2 reasons.

1) They're as much a landmark of the city as anything else. As you descend to land in Dublin Airport the only recognisable landmark in the city is the chimneys at Poolbeg.

2) My Da' has worked there most of his life,he's retiring this year as they wind the plant down. They'll always be "Daddies Chimneys" to me.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fair play for that. Always look at them when im driving over North Bull Wall bridge. They are our Statue of Liberty. Majestic looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

They must stay!
    They are a part of the Dublin scenery!
    Have you actually seen the amount of paintings out there with the "stacks" on them.
    I also have a birds eye view of them from my balcony!

Remember that great ad with the dublin painters doing a job on them with blue paint? :D

"Dublin City planners have already rejected a proposal to put a preservation order on the chimneys, declaring that they were not of ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’. A preservation order would have prevented any demolition plans."

From my personal experience "planners" have always stood for nothing!

Sundew wrote: »
    They must stay!
    They are a part of the Dublin scenery!
    Have you actually seen the amount of paintings out there with the "stacks" on them.
    I also have a birds eye view of them from my balcony!

Remember that great ad with the dublin painters doing a job on them with blue paint? :D

"Dublin City planners have already rejected a proposal to put a preservation order on the chimneys, declaring that they were not of ‘‘sufficient architectural, social or historical value’’. A preservation order would have prevented any demolition plans."

From my personal experience "planners" have always stood for nothing!
    Yeah that was a terrific ad. And dont get me started on the planners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It would be interesting to hear from those who voted No and hear their reasons. Personally, I think it's a crime that they are even thinking of taking them down. That whole complex would make a brilliant industrial tourist attraction, especially if you could get tours up to the top of the chimneys...

It would be interesting to hear from those who voted No and hear their reasons. Personally, I think it's a crime that they are even thinking of taking them down. That whole complex would make a brilliant industrial tourist attraction, especially if you could get tours up to the top of the chimneys...

Here's an old thread on the subject with plenty of dissenting voices.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055400964&highlight=poolbeg

Cambo Gueno,are they your pics in that link in your sig? There's some savage photos on that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

Because having a hideous derelict factory built in the 1960's in the middle of our beautiful bay isn't a particularly attractive feature, and it says a lot about the standards the city sets itself.
    Not quite Dublin's answer to the Statue of Liberty, more akin to Dublin's answer to the Nuclear power plants that line Middlesborough's sea-front.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Ah the poolbeg towers...The Corpos 2 finger salute to the people of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stay..

Does everything have to have a practical function, price or hackneyed aesthetic (to wit: "it's an eyesore loike")to be left alone?

I've been strolling and driving in and outside Dublin for years to have them loom up suddenly over the horizon when you least expect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally I couldn't really care if they are taken down.

Make way for progress, I say.
    If they are going to close the plant...there is no point in just leaving the site derelict, just because people like the look of the chimneys.

I'm all for keeping history etc, but they are two chimneys that have been there for 30 years, I don't think that justifies them being kept.

On the plus side, at least they have a little bit of character, unlike some things..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/199442005_0c111f4534_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I think they are ugly. It's nice to have something you can associate with Dublin and home, but I'd prefer something better looking

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

They completely ruin the vista of Dublin bay. Just because nostalgic Dubs have become accustomed to them over the years is not a good enough reason for them to stay imo. The are partiularly decrepid looking when viewed from up close.
    Can't see them working as a tourist attraction either.

Because having a hideous derelict factory built in the 1960's in the middle of our beautiful bay isn't a particularly attractive feature, and it says a lot about the standards the city sets itself.
    Not quite Dublin's answer to the Statue of Liberty, more akin to Dublin's answer to the Nuclear power plants that line Middlesborough's sea-front.

It's in the middle of an industrial area. It's an industrial building.
    I think they are ugly. It's nice to have something you can associate with Dublin and home, but I'd prefer something better looking

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to many, many people they are a powerful symbol of Dublin and they became that by virtue of the fact that they are the last/first thing you see when leaving/arriving either by boat or plane.
    Better to have something better looking? Who decides what is better looking? Is it the spire, a fine piece of sculpture(?) to be sure, but in my mind it's tainted with all that was bad about the Celtic Tiger. I'm not sure it would be possible to come up with a universally liked symbol of the city. Who would do it? The council ??
    Alias G wrote:
    They completely ruin the vista of Dublin bay. Just because nostalgic Dubs have become accustomed to them over the years is not a good enough reason for them to stay imo. The are partiularly decrepid looking when viewed from up close.

Really? I think they add to the view, they give a real focal point and , as was mentioned above, you can be anywhere in the city and turn a corner and you get a glimpse of them.

Also, who says that something iconic should be all nice and clean? We sure have enough steel and glass structures around the place, we really don't need any more modern 'architecture'

Anyway, from my tone, you have probably deduced that I love them and I hope they stay...:D. I must head on over to that linked thread and have a read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Joe Duffy thinks it is the Pigeon House that is in danger of being demolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ThuirtAnGabha

joolsveer wrote: »
    Joe Duffy thinks it is the Pigeon House that is in danger of being demolished.

"The Pigeon House" refers to both the power station and the old fort.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/chimneys-are-part-of-us-we-must-save-them-joe-2120900.html

Did you know? In 1717, Dublin Corporation began the construction of a new South Wall of the Liffey Estuary. Here a large wooden block house was constructed to serve as a watchman's hut and store for one John Pidgeon. He soon started to supplement his income by supplying food and liquid refreshments to weary cross-channel travellers. Soon after, the area became known affectionately as "Pidgeon's House" and later "Pigeon House".

It's in the middle of an industrial area. It's an industrial building.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to many, many people they are a powerful symbol of Dublin and they became that by virtue of the fact that they are the last/first thing you see when leaving/arriving either by boat or plane.
    Better to have something better looking? Who decides what is better looking? Is it the spire, a fine piece of sculpture(?) to be sure, but in my mind it's tainted with all that was bad about the Celtic Tiger. I'm not sure it would be possible to come up with a universally liked symbol of the city. Who would do it? The council ??

Really? I think they add to the view, they give a real focal point and , as was mentioned above, you can be anywhere in the city and turn a corner and you get a glimpse of them.

Also, who says that something iconic should be all nice and clean? We sure have enough steel and glass structures around the place, we really don't need any more modern 'architecture'

Anyway, from my tone, you have probably deduced that I love them and I hope they stay...:D. I must head on over to that linked thread and have a read

I would much rather have that whole area cleared out and see high rise buildings. Perhaps the 'Poolbeg Tower; Dublin's first high-rise building'. The potential for development there is incredible

I would much rather have that whole area cleared out and see high rise buildings. Perhaps the 'Poolbeg Tower; Dublin's first high-rise building'. The potential for development there is incredible

The whole area? That attitude is very blase if you don't mind me saying. You are talking about a pretty big area that contains the relatively new water treatment plant, the south docks, the other ESB plant, many other smaller factories and businesses and the soon to be started Incinerator. You propose that all of them be cleared off the land and relocated just to build yet another bland glass box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think they should either:

Clean them and stop using them

or

replace them with two tall building in the same style/shape and colours as a sort of memorial type thing

• Advertisement

The whole area? That attitude is very blase if you don't mind me saying. You are talking about a pretty big area that contains the relatively new water treatment plant, the south docks, the other ESB plant, many other smaller factories and businesses and the soon to be started Incinerator. You propose that all of them be cleared off the land and relocated just to build yet another bland glass box?

Poolbeg.jpg

There are fields there completely empty that are not even used as pitches. Look at all that space! I'm sure the 'businesses' you refer to could relocate. Imagine if all that area was a budding, modern, chic metropolitan area, right in the heart of Dublin City. I would love it!

it's not right in the heart of Dublin city though, it's at least a mile away from it. Look at the example of the IFSC or Grand Canal Square - these were supposed to be buzzing city quarters, but walk down around IFSC any time after 6 or at the weekend and it's a ghost town. Same for Grand Canal square, although that's changed slightly now that the theatre is open, but it's pretty empty when there are no shows on. I don't thin the city would be able to support another area like that.
    And where do you think we might get the money to buy out and relocate all those businesses (not sure why you put that word in quotes, do you not recognise them as real enterprises?) ? Look what happened when the DDDA bought the Glass Bottle site. That kind of wastage of public/private money is not going to be allowed to happen again, one would hope, so in reality, we are left with the Poolbeg peninsula as it is. Which is fine by me, IMO we really don't need it developed to the hilt.
    The Pidgeon House as it is is a magnificent building, one which I would really like to see restored rather than pulled down. while not quite on the scale of Battersea Power Station in London, it could be made into a similar sort of facility

lord lucan wrote: »
    Cambo Gueno,are they your pics in that link in your sig? There's some savage photos on that site!

yes, they are. Thanks for the complement!

brilliant photos.

brilliant photos.

thanks...they're for sale you know :D

it's not right in the heart of Dublin city though, it's at least a mile away from it. Look at the example of the IFSC or Grand Canal Square - these were supposed to be buzzing city quarters, but walk down around IFSC any time after 6 or at the weekend and it's a ghost town. Same for Grand Canal square, although that's changed slightly now that the theatre is open, but it's pretty empty when there are no shows on. I don't thin the city would be able to support another area like that.
    And where do you think we might get the money to buy out and relocate all those businesses (not sure why you put that word in quotes, do you not recognise them as real enterprises?) ? Look what happened when the DDDA bought the Glass Bottle site. That kind of wastage of public/private money is not going to be allowed to happen again, one would hope, so in reality, we are left with the Poolbeg peninsula as it is. Which is fine by me, IMO we really don't need it developed to the hilt.
    The Pidgeon House as it is is a magnificent building, one which I would really like to see restored rather than pulled down. while not quite on the scale of Battersea Power Station in London, it could be made into a similar sort of facility
    That. If the money isn't wasted then the potential to build is great. But then, nobody has money to buy the Docklands apartments so of course then there will be no money to buy the new apartments. Therefore, big businesses could set up their HQ there! Great big, modern buildings

Therefore, big businesses could set up their HQ there! Great big, modern buildings

aha...a troll. Don't know how I didn't spot it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 82,720 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should tear down the spire and replace if with those chimneys.

aha...a troll. Don't know how I didn't spot it earlier

That was more sarcasm. But apartments are not what we need in that area since nobody has any money to purchase apartments. Professional businesses should take that area and turn it into a Canary Wharf type region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

That was more sarcasm. But apartments are not what we need in that area since nobody has any money to purchase apartments. Professional businesses should take that area and turn it into a Canary Wharf type region

Ideally, I'd agree with you. This area would offer the best waterfront location for a skyscraper district in any European capital. Obviously the horrendous port would have to move too.
    However, realising that this may have lots of opposition I'd rather have the area turned into a recreational park than leave it in the decrepit industrial state it's in now.
    The Poolbeg peninsula and Dublin port truely are a blight on our city I'd be more than happy to see the back of.
    Hopefully the city will connect with the sea at some point in the future, and some kind of vision, ambition and slightest bit of pride will return to Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement