Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Pakora Recipe - which flour

Options
  • 01-04-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need a starter for an indian meal. Pakora would be great but all the recipes I can find use special chickpea flour that I don't have. Does anyone know if the flour makes a difference or have a recipe which uses regular flour?
    Am open to suggestions for an alternative starter either.
    Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

the chickpea flour is called gram flour and its is THE essential ingredient in pakoras. no point in trying to make pakoras without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You get gram flour in many ethnic type shops, indian/chinese etc. here is a thread on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573644

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The Health Food Store also sells gram flour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Tesco also have gram flour in their own brand range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Thanks for that. I'll probably have to go back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

If you sieve wholemeal flour you can use what goes into the bowl instead of gram flour as well. I've used it for making chapatis and haven't noticed any difference with the taste. Pakoras are delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

the chickpea flour is called gram flour and its is THE essential ingredient in pakoras. no point in trying to make pakoras without it.
    The gram flour is really the same across different ethnic cuisines.
    I thought it was different, but I have checked a few and they are really the same.
    Vital for pakoras.

Advertisement