Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Titchmarsh on VIOLENT video games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Argh, its crap like this that makes my blood boil. The Video Games guy on the left came across completely coherent, making excellent points with ratings etc. yet the woman in the middle opened her mouth and the crowd goes nuts, its because there all middle aged parents that dont have a clue with a video game (of any genre) entails! If it crowd was a younger audience (18-35,say) we'd see who would get the cheers in that argument.

Besides, I remember playing Revenge of Shinobi when I was 4, you dont see me going into town with ninja stars killing everyone :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

bunch of retards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Jazzy wrote: »
    bunch of retards

I don't think that's fair. Titchmarsh was just asking questions and fair enough, yer one in the middle was the vintage housewife not having a clue what she was talking about. She said she was anti violence in any form of entertainment yet she'd be the kind of woman who sits down with her book club empathizing with yer man from Crime and Punishment.

The old guy however knew what he was talking about, didn't over react and was rational. It's not like there's no case to be made her. It is a fair point and you have like 3 generations completely disconnected from games and it's alot better to help them understand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

typical, unfortunately

fear and ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CVG guy fought his corner well, but didn't stand a chance with that panel. They'd already made ther mind up, and weren't going to let a gamer (no matter how articulate) dissuade them from their narrow minded opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

CVG guy did a great job, fair play to him. And Titchmarash was pretty fair, the only aspect of that show to be angry about were the audience (who obviously know nothing about videogames) and the old woman, who was pandering to that audience for applause. Meh, no skin off my nose - this generation will let's be honest, be dead pretty soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i was actually referring to yer wan and the audience :p the old guy seemed a bit more rational.

you could tell from the get go that this was set up to look one way though with alan saying that they dont allow children into the cinema to see films with an adult theme but you cant do that with games. REALLY ALAN? DVD's DONT EXIST DO THEY? AND WHEN THE KID GETS HOME WITH THE 18's GAME THEY NORMALLY HIDE THEMSELVES IN A SECRET ROOM WITH A POWER SOURCE, NET CONNECTION, TELLY AND CONSOLE.
    such idiocy. wouldnt that be like the easiest way to make sure your kid isnt being exposed to things they shouldnt be? by.. ya know, watching them and taking care of them and stuff?
    its all just another defense for crap parents to hide behind. no one takes responsibility for what this sort of thing. no parents take responsibility for their kids going out with knives in that (or this) country. if a child is brought up with little to no moral values I dont think the first thing you look for to blame is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I could imagine psychiatrists saying "So Jonny, tell be about your Xbox 360 and they way it treats you". Isn't it traditional for a psychiatrist to talk about the parents first? isnt this why there is so many classic literature based on this subject all throughout history? Oedipus and so forth? heck, that was written at a time where they thought fire was invented by this guy called Prometheus who stole it from the gods and was punished by going to hell and having his liver pecked out every day by a bird. pretty violent no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guy from CV&G did really well there I have to say. Yer wan in the middle was what annoyed me. She hasn't a clue about videogames and therefore they scare her. Parents have the power over what their children play and if they want to know more about games they should sit down with their kids and play the games with them to understand them better. I think in these debate programs they really shouldn't allow people on that haven't a clue of the issue. However I'm sure if it was only people with knowledge of the subject then there would be nobody against the argument.

The other two were throwing around unsubstantiated facts. CV&G guys mentioned the Byron report which there was uproar about when it came out because it showed no connection between violent behaviour and games and people couldn't understand how the great evil of are generation couldn't be affecting. The woman in the middle mentions without citation a report that did show a link. However I also saw that the research papers that show no link far out number the papers with a link between games with violent behaviour and that the reports that show no link are in journals with higher impact values.

People bring up that the kids involved in murders and school shootings played videogames. However it would be more difficult to find someone of their age in this generation that didn't play videogames. In fact the guy that carried out the virginia tech massacre was a loner that didn't play videogames and that made the people that knew him think he was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Im happy in the knowledge that the "rock music/TV/video games is/are the devil
    brigade will all be long dead by the time it comes to actually making a decision on the matter - ignorant aul c***s - havent they seen footloose!..... DONT THEY KNOW HOW IT ENDS!

All young people should make a promise that they when they are old enough they wont deny their children the joys of stabbing a hooker in Virtual Reality grand theft auto

I heard that guy cho who shot up the university was an avid Chris de Burgh fan - BAN THIS SICK FILTH

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I watched it until the cow started talking. Same old bull**** from people that have no idea what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Parents facilitate the children, it is often the parent having a hissy fit if the staff 'refuse' to supply a game to a child because of the rating.

The filtering out of content should start at the home, alongside ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just FYI: Julie Peasgood, who is "categorically against violence for entertainment" voice-acted in horror game Martian Gothic.

So there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Priceless.

Argument nullified, credibilty crashes and burns. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wait, Alan Titchmarsh? The gardener? Who cares what he has to say? The less said about that evil, lying sack of ****e Kelvin McKenzie, the better. The man is vile scum and I'll be celebrating the day he dies.

Look it's the Daily Mail effect - old people who have no idea about the technology their decrying, shaking their heads and tutting at girls wearing mini-skirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mr E wrote: »
    Priceless.

Argument nullified, credibilty crashes and burns. :)

I don't think doing voice acting over ten years ago for a Z class game is argument over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mr E wrote: »
    CVG guy fought his corner well, but didn't stand a chance with that panel. They'd already made ther mind up, and weren't going to let a gamer (no matter how articulate) dissuade them from their narrow minded opinions.

have to agree, form the first sentence all 3 were just attacking him, shouldnt the host to be neutral alltogether?

i play video games since i was 6. I played fallout2 which was really really violent, killing people,killing children, stealing, robbing, sex, prostitution, drugs and listgoes on.

am i a mass murderer drug dealer pimp now? No i am a chef... Living normal life, have a bunch of good friends, misses that i live together for 5 years...

You know, there are so many young violent people, who go blow steam in the jims and sparring, not by killing people and kicking the living **** out of avarage joe!

Maybe some people blow steam in video games, so they wouldnt take uzi and kill all people in the office they work...

And thats call of duty: modern warfere 2 ya dick in screen, not call of duty 2: modern warfare...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, Alan Titchmarsh? The gardener? Who cares what he has to say? The less said about that evil, lying sack of ****e Kelvin McKenzie, the better. The man is vile scum and I'll be celebrating the day he dies.

Not wanting to pick on you particularly, but I don't think it's helpful in the case of gamers vs. the mainstream media when gamers talk about celebrating someone dying - just because the occupy the other side of the fence. It's hard enough for gamers to be taken seriously & to make a case for themselves without giving the other side cause to go "aha, see? They are all weirdos and nutjobs, ban this filth".

Oh and without watching the interview - I know it'll just anger up the blood - I can't help notice from the title that the claim is that video games are also sexist. This I most definitely agree with. Even the so-called "mature" titles out there frequently display an almost shocking level of sexism at times. Or at the very least, an adolescent mixture of fantasising & objectifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not wanting to pick on you particularly, but I don't think it's helpful in the case of gamers vs. the mainstream media when gamers talk about celebrating someone dying - just because the occupy the other side of the fence. It's hard enough for gamers to be taken seriously & to make a case for themselves without giving the other side cause to go "aha, see? They are all weirdos and nutjobs, ban this filth".

My distaste for that c*nt has nothing do with videogames and is down to his time as editor of the Sun and in particular his coverage and lies about the Hillsborough disaster. Quite while he's still being wheeled out to offer his opinion on anything is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Am I the only one who had to google who Alan Titchmarsh was ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I am 24 years old, have just watched this video and I am so worried now. I have being playing video games since as long as I can remember, played games like Jungle strike, grand theft auto (every version since day one), and metal gear solid. So I am pretty sure I am going to go on a violent streak any day now: :rolleyes:

I have friends, steady job, treated people with respect, so as far as I can see video games don't affected people and how they behave.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Superb point about being part of the narrative of a good story, perfect example being assassins creed 2. Brilliant story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CVG guy made some perfectly valid points and put them across very articulately, only to be ignored by the pack of baying idiots and their battleaxe leader.
    Wish more people would pay attention and realise that age ratings are there for a reason, and parental controls do exist...
    Makes me a sad panda:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That stupid bitch should stick to making Glade adverts.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

In fairness, by their very nature, daytime chat show audiences are going to be full of middle aged mothers and retired people. I'd say that there is a better than even chance that most of the audience do not even have a PC at home.

The problem is that if there ever was a vote on violent video games that the only people who would get out of bed and bother their arses to do and vote would be those same older people who read sensationalist papers like the daily hate mail etc ....

Its only a matter of time before that paper or one like it comes out with a headline like "boy aged 19 stabs another boy, 4 months after playing a game where you stab people" and the whole lot of that papers readership will believe that it was the games fault. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

BigEejit wrote: »
    The problem is that if there ever was a vote on violent video games that the only people who would get out of bed and bother their arses to do and vote would be those same older people who read sensationalist papers like the daily hate mail etc ....
    This is why we should be able to vote via iphone app, email, Steam chat and WoW addon. That'd catch most of our generation I guess!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Playing violent videogames doesn't make me an angry person. However while listening to that old bat i found myself hitting the wall with a rolled up newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I love how they didn't even remotely acknowledge CVG guys comments about age ratings, parental controls,
    On way too many occasions has a kid come into the store I work in , bring an 18s game to the counter(typically COD:MW2 or GTA4), we tell them we cantbecasue they are underage, they go, grab parent, and parent buys the game after we tell them we coundln't sell it to thir kid becasue its an 18's game, general response: "ar sure its ok".
    If the kids werent let play the games by parents it wouldnt be a problem,

And anyone who goes on a rampage generally has a few more problems than being killed/killing in a video game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The face of the CVG man after Titchmarsh's first question ("But games are in the home?") is priceless, he is going in his head what sort of dumb as question is that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Alan Titchmarsh - "But they have certificates on them so children under eighteen can't get in"
    Tim Ingham - "Video games have exactly the same certificates..."
    AT - "But they're at home"
    TI - "..From PBFC(?). I'm sorry?"
    AT - "Well you can't stop children getting in, to a house and putting a video on. You can stop them going into a cinema."

I couldn't continue watching after I heard this. The drivel that some people try to pass off as a legitimate argument is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Selling M rated video games to children and their parents allowing them to play them doesn't seem to be an issue for that panel.

In other news, shock revelation that a minor has been sold a goldfish... the perpetrators of this crime have been convicted and punished

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262250/Great-grandmother-tagged-selling-goldfish.html

Advertisement