Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Titchmarsh on VIOLENT video games

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The main problem I would have with violent video games is their accessibility to children. Enforce stricter laws so that the guy behind the counter isn't selling an 18s game to a 10 ear old. That's where the problem is.

Thing is, it's not. The vast, vast majority of retailers will ID kids looking for 18 games and refuse to sell them to them, I can't count the number of times I've been asked by a kid to buy a game for them in a shop after they've been refused. The problem is that their parents will then go in and buy it for them, ignorant or not caring what's on the disc.

Parential ignorance and indifference is the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

The main problem I would have with violent video games is their accessibility to children. Enforce stricter laws so that the guy behind the counter isn't selling an 18s game to a 10 ear old. That's where the problem is. Adults, who were not exposed to such violence as kids, can clearly see that video games are just that, video games. Some children may not understand that realisation so much. Keep the violence comming, make it more realistic, but for christ sakes, keep it away from young impressionable minds who are still learning. That's where it's dangerous, imo.

In game, I've always seen the people behind the counter asking for i.d. for younger people... Even I was asked for i.d. for an 18's game... I'm 23... Prob older than the guy behind the counter :pac:

I played games like streets of rage and other games that were considered violent when I was younger and I'm prob one of the most laid back non aggressive people I know (Only game that ever got me into "Nerd Rage" was Street Fighter :o ) I know I've gotten annoyed at games, but I've also got annoyed at sports, it's just another way to compete these days :)

I know that games are becoming more and more photo-realistic, if limbs are being blown off by a 50. cal sniper rifle with realistic blood and all that, kids shouldn't play it... If I have kids, of course I'm going to know what they're playing, I wouldn't let them watch movies like saw or play games like man hunt. It is fully up to parents to look at what there kids are playing and see if they are emotionally mature enough to view or play the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thing is, it's not. The vast, vast majority of retailers will ID kids looking for 18 games and refuse to sell them to them, I can't count the number of times I've been asked by a kid to buy a game for them in a shop after they've been refused. The problem is that their parents will then go in and buy it for them, ignorant or not caring what's on the disc.

Parential ignorance and indifference is the issue here.

Exactly, let the blame fall on the parents.

One thing you have to understand is that parents are thick as fcuk... Really... they think what they are doing is right for their child, they think they can do no wrong, and when their little brat starts acting aggressive, it's the video games fault, or the films industry or some other thing. It's never their fault... oh no, they can't do any wrong. My arse. About time the parents started taking the responsibility for their faults.
    In game, I've always seen the people behind the counter asking for i.d. for younger people... Even I was asked for i.d. for an 18's game... I'm 23... Prob older than the guy behind the counter :pac:

I played games like streets of rage and other games that were considered violent when I was younger and I'm prob one of the most laid back non aggressive people I know (Only game that ever got me into "Nerd Rage" was Street Fighter :o ) I know I've gotten annoyed at games, but I've also got annoyed at sports, it's just another way to compete these days :)

I know that games are becoming more and more photo-realistic, if limbs are being blown off by a 50. cal sniper rifle with realistic blood and all that, kids shouldn't play it... If I have kids, of course I'm going to know what they're playing, I wouldn't let them watch movies like saw or play games like man hunt. It is fully up to parents to look at what there kids are playing and see if they are emotionally mature enough to view or play the content.

Remember in my other post where I said that arguemtent doesn't count? If you cannot see the effects, doesn't mean there are none. Nobody can really say that they have or have not been effected. What have they to compare to? Unless they have lived the vast majority of their lives without computer games, under scientific study, and then began to play violent video games, under scientific study. Then you will see a difference, if there is any. I have definately become more dessensitised towards violence, but it's not just one thing. It's not only video games, it's everything. It's films, magazines, the internet, video games, real life experiences. How can anybody blame one thing for anything is beyond me.

Personally I have never been asked for ID for buying DVD's or Video games, and I have a lot of both. I have never seen anybody asked for ID either, but I have wintessed on many occasions, children being escourted to the counter with GTA4 or whatever 18's games it is. Is that the game industries fault?

Should we outright ban alcohol and cigarettes because children drink and smoke? Hell no, people would go nuts. Why is it any different for video games? I tell you why, because politicians, and the general public do not have vested interests in video games. They are ignorant and lack the understanding. That's why it is targeted. That generation will die out though, and things will change. We just have to wait :P

Parents. You are the cause, you are the problem, sort out your own crap first and take some fcuking responsibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Voilent video games, was just watching a documentry on one the sky channels about the war, showed dead bodies, Bet there won't be an uproar about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Voilent video games, was just watching a documentry on one the sky channels about the war, showed dead bodies, Bet there won't be an uproar about that

Is a dead body violent? :rolleyes:

Understand the debate before you enter it, seriously.

If it showed how that body became dead, I am pretty sure there would be uproar about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Should we outright ban alcohol and cigarettes because children drink and smoke? Hell no, people would go nuts. Why is it any different for video games? I tell you why, because politicians, and the general public do not have vested interests in video games. They are ignorant and lack the understanding. That's why it is targeted. That generation will die out though, and things will change.
    Because if you can even get that far into the discussion before they blank out from an overdose of common sense theyll fight back saying Games are targeted at children.

Yet I dont think Mass Effect 2 was targeted at children any more than an R rated movie was targeted at children. Yet frequently both are marketed on television - and I cant wait to hear what the mammy fallout from Kickass will be when they take their little tykes to see it, forgetting its an R rated movie with child induced homicide.

Its just what they choose to complain about. Wait till the generation dies out, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Is a dead body violent? :rolleyes:

Understand the debate before you enter it, seriously.

If it showed how that body became dead, I am pretty sure there would be uproar about it.
    Lets see, 3 men lined up on there knee's, Germans behind them with a gun, The narrorater telling you that hitler ordered people exterminated that had any ill feelings towards nazi's, cut to dead bodies, Yes I would consider that voilent.

I for one consider the sight of real people dead from war far more voilent than computer generated graphics.

And as that woman proved you don't need to understand a debate to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Education.

It all boils down to that.

And educated, wise child will know the difference from right and wrong. If said child still managed to pull off some horrible murder or w/e, based on one he saw in a game.. It would be through inspiration, but the fact would remain that the child was capable of the crime and that something bad was gonna happen, whether he played video games or not.

I think the whole arguement always tends to make it out to be a 'monkey see, monkey do' approach with violent games.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Julie Peasgood contributed a vocal performance to Creative Reality's survival horror videogame Martian Gothic: Unification (2000)........ what a hypocrite

All consoles have parental control features Turn them on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

• Advertisement
Advertisement