Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Big Club" Superthreads

• 01-04-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I'm proposing a 'by invitation' forum for supporters of the big clubs who wish to engage in discussion about current happenings at the clubs and also all the various subject therein

This has been proposed before and rejected but I'm going to see if there is any interest in this and if there is, see what traction it gains.

These forums would not be designed to kill the Soccer Forum, rather they would be additional.

Like the Spurs forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive always said this was a good idea, but people seem to disagree

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

On the one hand, definite thumbs up as it would reduce trolling or certainly perceived trolling.

On the other hand, the requirement is already catered for on loads of club specific forums.

Or is this an april fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[insert facepalm thingy here]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

This is an intriguing idea, I mean surely things would run a lot smoother with everyone segregated into their own little forums. Does this mean I wouldn't have to listen to anymore twaddle from Liverpools fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's a pity this has never gotten the due consideration it deserves. Naysayers claim it'll ruin the forum, but reducing the territorial/mickey-waving contests isn't a bad thing tbf.

Definite +1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not the worst idea in the world to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It would make it easier to follow conversations and debate if they were separate articles rather than a Superthread were the subject just changes like a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Des wrote: »
    I'm proposing a 'by invitation' forum for supporters of the big clubs who wish to engage in discussion about current happenings at the clubs and also all the various subject therein

This has been proposed before and rejected but I'm going to see if there is any interest in this and if there is, see what traction it gains.

These forums would not be designed to kill the Soccer Forum, rather they would be additional.

Like the Spurs forum.

Who decides who is invited ?

LoL Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

+1 for this cracking idea Des - would the invited members be the ones nominating and inviting people in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It's weird that an idea like this hasn't been proposed yet on the soccerforum. My initial opinion is that it would make everything more manageable and user friendly. Also, it'd be much more pleasurable for me to mod if there was less inter-fan-communication. Great idea Des, all the soccer mods will discuss the possibility of implementing it once this season finishes! It's also very important to get the opinions of the sf community as a whole.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Who decides who is invited ?

LoL Headshot

I think everyone should have to nail their colours to the mast so to speak. You have declare which team forum you want access. Obviously you go for the team you support. You can not have access to two sub forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id be prepared to mod the man utd forum too

we dont want any nazi mods ;)
    Spud83 wrote: »
    I think everyone should have to nail their colours to the mast so to speak. You have declare which team forum you want access. Obviously you go for the team you support. You can not have access to two sub forums.

its going to be tough for redout

barca or man utd...

I'd support you headshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You can not have access to two sub forums.

Good idea.

limit it to the current top 4?

Surely there wouldn't be enough support for a team outside the top 4 or Champions league.

We are all glory hunting internet barstoolers in here anyway.

Spurs have a forum you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

But what if you support an Irish team, as well as an English/Spanish/Italian team?
    Like I support United and Shamrock Rovers, as well as following Celtic.

Spurs have a forum you know ;)

good point - include the 5th placed team then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which Top 4? ;)

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    But what if you support an Irish team, as well as an English/Spanish/Italian team?

well neither Shams or Celtic are a "Big Club" so won't have their own invite only subforum

Well basically if United are playing Celtic who do you support? Or if United are playing Rovers who do you support?

As I said none of this faffing around with multiple teams. Your not a real supporter then and I wouldn't want you in the forum if you thought like this.

mike65 wrote: »
    Which Top 4? ;)

....top 4 of Lique 1. clearly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

could you apply to be allowed into forum for the teams you dont support? obviously whoever checks the applications can still deny you but the non sh!t stirrers might also like to discuss the goings on at clubs they dont support and it is this interchange by the genuine posters who have a different viewpoint is one of the things i think many feared about making such a board.

good point - include the 5th placed team then?

But then fans of the 6th place team would complain. Besides, these positions are always likely to change each season, so going by where a team finishes would be a bad idea imo. I think it would make more sense to open a thread and let everyone declare their support. Maybe mods/admins would give us an estimate of how many numbers would be needed to merit a particular forum?

is there going to be sponsoring ?

Well if it's invite only someone who might have a passing interest in Barca and will comment on their Superthread but is actually a Liverpool supporter will only be eligible for one, when taking that into account you probably only have enough users for say the traditional top 4???

I'd also say keep match threads on the soccer forum so everyone can have their say on any given game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I know there are issues about fans from different clubs arguing and trolling but this seems like an extreme solution. I don't post all that often but I do lurk a good bit and I think the forum would lose something if you didn't have banter between fans of different clubs.

So whilst I think club specific forums could work, my opinion is that they should be open to members of every club to join. And then if somebody is trolling they can be banned and repeat offenders permabanned.

But to just have little sects where no banter between fans is allowed seems very dull.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The idea could be tested with new Superthreads.

So existing "XXXX general discussion/rumours thread 2010" stays, and a new one is creatd "XXXX discussion - club fans only", and non club fans who post in the thread get 1 warning followed by a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Great idea Des. +1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Des wrote: »

Like the Spurs forum.
    can you give us a basic idea what subjects will be on the agenda on and expand on what you mean by "by invitation"?

well neither Shams or Celtic are a "Big Club" so won't have their own invite only subforum

Oh right yeah, thought it was for all superthreads.
    Well basically if United are playing Celtic who do you support? Or if United are playing Rovers who do you support?

As I said none of this faffing around with multiple teams. Your not a real supporter then and I wouldn't want you in the forum if you thought like this.

Not a real supporter?
    I grew up supporting United, so they're my first team always.

I support Rovers because they're an Irish team and not enough 'barstoolers' give the Airtricity League a chance, which is why the quality of it is so shít, tbh. I don't have a local team, because there is none in Laois, the closest to me is Kildare and I hate Kildare, so they're out the window. I always had a soft spot for Rovers because I had seen a good few documentarys on them as a lad.

Finally, I didn't say I supported Celtic, said I follow them, because of the Irish connection, ie I like to see them do well and will watch whenever they are on the box.

BBC 606 Model anyone?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/ArticleSearch?s_show=browsePage&s_sport=Football

Each team open to all but fans in the main are decent for sticking to their own boards, and that has piles more users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

very good idea

How do we know who the big clubs are?

I assume its teams like Leeds, Man United, Celtic...

are there any others that would warrant their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

spockety wrote: »
    The idea could be tested with new Superthreads.

So existing "XXXX general discussion/rumours thread 2010" stays, and a new one is creatd "XXXX discussion - club fans only", and non club fans who post in the thread get 1 warning followed by a ban.

I like that idea a lot.

Mr Alan and Boggles probably won't :pac:

• Advertisement

can you give us a basic idea what subjects will be on the agenda on and expand on what you mean by "by invitation"?

All subjects - everything that would currently be discussed in the super threads. By invitation would mean you have to prove yourself to be a good poster in order to be invited to have access to the sub-forum superthreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Only Spurs fans have proved themselves sensible enough to have a private forum. Sorry but it's true.

Not a real supporter?
    I grew up supporting United, so they're my first team always.

So then you would join the United forum.
    I support Rovers because they're an Irish team and not enough 'barstoolers' give the Airtricity League a chance, which is why the quality of it is so shít, tbh. I don't have a local team, because there is none in Laois, the closest to me is Kildare and I hate Kildare, so they're out the window. I always had a soft spot for Rovers because I had seen a good few documentarys on them as a lad.

You have three posts in the Rovers thread, surely you wouldn't miss that.
    Finally, I didn't say I supported Celtic, said I follow them, because of the Irish connection, ie I like to see them do well and will watch whenever they are on the box.

You have zero posts in the current Celtic thread, surely you wouldn't miss not having one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

create-a-clique

All subjects - everything that would currently be discussed in the super threads. By invitation would mean you have to prove yourself to be a good poster in order to be invited to have access to the sub-forum superthreads.

ah now i get, no sponsoring then, thats a great idea, ill be giving this the big +1

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    create-a-clique

They already exist all over boards. I don't see that as a reason to shoot it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Thats me and Boggles fcuked so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so basically this is the subforum for superthreads that was suggested in FB but with even stricter access criteria?

You have three posts in the Rovers thread, surely you wouldn't miss that.

You have zero posts in the current Celtic thread, surely you wouldn't miss not having one.

Rovers forum, do most of my Rovers-based posting there.

I like to have the option of posting in the Celtic thread.:P

so basically this is the subforum for superthreads that was suggested in FB but with even stricter access criteria?

eh no - it is completely different.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

+1ing this idea, the current superthreads are diminishing in quality all the time and nice fresh forum could revive the chat of old.

Great idea Des, kudos for having the balls to say it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

They already exist all over boards. I don't see that as a reason to shoot it down.

yes, but the overflow of that onto the main soccer forum would be completely retarded and ultimately make this forum worse then it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

And each thread should have a 'Marshal' or 'Mini Mod'

Ideally this would be the person with the most posts on that thread as they would obviously be the biggest supporter of that club and the most suitable for the job.

Their job would be to liaise with the SF Mods and would have the ability to give infractions but not Bans.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There should be a committee of distinguished posters from each club who decide who can have access to each one, and if 1 person gets two -1's then they are out.

@Jazzy: or people would clean up their act in order to get an invite - and the quality of posting would improve.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement