Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Big Club" Superthreads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

This sounds like such a great idea that I've gone ahead and set up this new 'quitepossiblygenuinefansbyinvitationonlyifyoufitinwiththeclique' forum:

http://www.nohomers.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ideally this would be the person with the most posts on that thread

Mr Alan would be the marshall of the United one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

And each thread should have a 'Marshal' or 'Mini Mod'

Ideally this would be the person with the most posts on that thread as they would obviously be the biggest supporter of that club and the most suitable for the job.

Their job would be to liaise with the SF Mods and would have the ability to give infractions but not Bans.
    No way man, that means you can spam your way to be mod, it should go to the best man for the job. Regarding an LFC forum, its gotta be Mr Alan for me, or perhaps SOTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think it should be judged on how many games said poster has attended. i.e season ticket holders are automatically granted entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The spurs supporters club forum is open access though.
    Having a forum for each club seems reasonable enough, given that the spurs forum seems to get a high enough level of activity, and it would be more organised than the current approach of having a superthread for the clubs.
    I don't agree with the "by invitation only" part though. You need to request access for the soccer forum in the first place. Then to have to request access for individual club forums/subforums as well seems a bit overboard. Better just to ban people who are using them mainly to troll etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

limit it to the current top 4?
    Spud83 wrote: »
    Surely there wouldn't be enough support for a team outside the top 4 or Champions league.

We are all glory hunting internet barstoolers in here anyway.
    good point - include the 5th placed team then?

Villa are more popular than Chelsea and Arsenal on boards.
    I still don't like this idea, why not just ban the WUMs? Boards isn't a democracy, just ban them what are they gonna do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    I think it should be judged on how many games said poster has attended. i.e season ticket holders are automatically granted entry.

fed up with this crap. I've never been to OT in my life, doesn't make me any less of a fan than a ST holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ideally having Mr Alan/SOTS/Mike65 as Mod of the Pool thread and Headshot/Mitch as Marshall of the United one's it means they can stop people from other clubs coming in and saying things about their clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

All subjects - everything that would currently be discussed in the super threads. By invitation would mean you have to prove yourself to be a good poster in order to be invited to have access to the sub-forum superthreads.
    Having had a bit of time to think about this I think the match threads should be the available to everybody. They are the life and soul of the SF IMO. And in all honesty the LFC Tv forums give me everything I need in terms of individual topics. So not fussed at this stage which road the super threads go down..
    But think any move which aims to exclude posters on their posting rep is not a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

+1

Was never in favour of this, but the inclusion of an invite-only access criteria has changed my mind.

No longer have to deal with all that shíte from Liverpool fans in the United thread. (the ones that do stir anyway, and vice versa with United trolls in Liverpool thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Just let the posters on the superthreads vote who they want to be the mod of the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jazzy wrote: »
    yes, but the overflow of that onto the main soccer forum would be completely retarded and ultimately make this forum worse then it is

You don't think there are cliques on the soccer board already?

This will just give them somewhere to hang out, on there own.

Having had a bit of time to think about this I think the match threads should be the available to everybody. They are the life and soul of the SF IMO. And in all honesty the LFC Tv forums give me everything I need in terms of individual topics. So not fussed at this stage which road the super threads go down..
    But think any move which aims to exclude posters on their posting rep is not a good one.

why? If you show yourself to be an utter tool of a poster, a poster who just gets laughed at every time they post cause they constantly post crap and spam a lot - why not exclude you from the super-dooper-threads. Might encourage you to clean up your posting style so that you can get access.

I don't mean you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

fed up with this crap. I've never been to OT in my life, doesn't make me any less of a fan than a ST holder.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

baz2009 wrote: »
    Just let the posters on the superthreads vote who they want to be the mod of the forum?

no way

it should only be the good posters, not just anyone should get a vote

• Advertisement

It's not that bad of an idea really. That way people who post really long posts full of boring facts no-one actually wants to know, eZe^ for example, his posts are always so hard to slog through, might not get access. Which means we'll have more short, to the point posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone who writes a needless essay in response to another posters comments should be infracted, buggered and only answered with one word responses.

ziggy wrote: »

well clearly more people are for it.

As for creating cliques - that is what the superthreads have done anyway.

Sure we have had liverpool fans telling other liverpool fans they are no longer welcome in the liverpool thread (cause they stink of Manc i believe...)

Ideally having Mr Alan/SOTS/Mike65 as Mod of the Pool thread and Headshot/Mitch as Marshall of the United one's it means they can stop people from other clubs coming in and saying things about their clubs.
    In all honesty would not block anyone provided they didnt continually harp on about our failings. Where it was proved a particular poster was not being continually negative in their criticism I would have a bit of a problem with that.
    Again have made my feelings known on the club forums but at this stage Im not that against maintaining their current status quo anymore.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    no way

it should only be the good posters, not just anyone should get a vote

Say regular posters on the United thread vote for our mod, there's roughly 10/11 posters that are on the United thread regularly(that are United fans).

redout wrote: »
    Anyone who writes a needless essay in response to another posters comments should be infracted, buggered and only answered with one word responses.

Anyone who imitates Hulk Hogan should be excluded immediately too.

In all honesty would not block anyone provided they didnt continually harp on about our failings. Where it was proved a particular poster was not being continually negative in their criticism I would have a bit of a problem with that.
    Again have made my feelings known on the club forums but at this stage Im not that against maintaining their current status quo anymore.

Would you except the job of Marshal of the Pool thread SOTS?

I mean your obviously in it a good bit so you'd be one of the better candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Spud83 wrote: »
    You don't think there are cliques on the soccer board already?

This will just give them somewhere to hang out, on there own.

of course they are, but they will become more prevailent with these invite only sub forums. cliques arent really a good thing for a public forum.

somewhere to hang out on their own? are they not comfortable hanging out here or something?

its an understandable idea and due to the amount of dribblers who now have access to soccer it might be a good step. but saying that, i think it will probably ruin this forum even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

But if someone has grievences they want to air they should have a right to air them by quality of post it should count if posters take pot shots at each other at every oppertunity etc not if they feel the club isn't performing or are dissapointed at the financial state of there club etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Man's a genius ^ :rolleyes:

As for these sub-forums, look at the Superthreads atm, aren't they meant to be sub-threads as such, yet there's tonnes of threads on Man Utd, Liverpool, etc... matches, injuries, hot-bubble baths with the teams, etc... on the main soccer forum.

Jazzy wrote: »
    of course they are, but they will become more prevailent with these invite only sub forums. cliques arent really a good thing for a public forum.

somewhere to hang out on their own? are they not comfortable hanging out here or something?

its an understandable idea and due to the amount of dribblers who now have access to soccer it might be a good step. but saying that, i think it will probably ruin this forum even more

Cliques are only a problem when they clash. This is happening here already. I believe sub forums would stop the clashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Who would determine who gets an invite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

from my understand its the Marshall's

sots could be a Marshall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

+1 to Des's idea.
    limit it to the current top 4?

Silly suggestion. Far more Villa posters then Chelsea & Arse on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Let CHD mod the Chelsea one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Headshot wrote: »
    from my understand its the Marshall's

sots could be a Marshall

Don't like the Marshall idea tbh.

For the invitations, maybe there could be a 'New members Suggestion/Discussion thread' where everyone could weigh in.

The thread Marshal imo. And he would have two lieutenants who could perform his duties temporarily if he was away or at a game LIKE A REAL FAN as opposed to watching every game on tv, buying a replica jersey and calling himself a 'fan'... :rolleyes:

IMO Everyone who currently has access to the soccer forum should be allowed to access to one of the sub forums, once it can be determined that they are a fan of that team.

After that when a user is applying for access to the soccer forum they also submit which team sub forum they would like to join.

Then it would be up to the mods of the individual sub forums to kick trouble makers out.

One you have been booted from one sub forum you can not join another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

All subjects - everything that would currently be discussed in the super threads. By invitation would mean you have to prove yourself to be a good poster in order to be invited to have access to the sub-forum superthreads.

If you're not invited, can you still read the superthreads/subforum? Personally I don't post much but I read the Manchester Utd superthread all the time. Is it a case if you're not contributing you don't get invited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

But if someone has grievences they want to air they should have a right to air them by quality of post it should count if posters take pot shots at each other at every oppertunity etc not if they feel the club isn't performing or are dissapointed at the financial state of there club etc

No comments on clubs financial situations unless you have a business/finance degree or are banging Darcie Glazer.

The thread Marshal imo. And he would have two lieutenants who could perform his duties temporarily if he was away or at a game LIKE A REAL FAN as opposed to watching every game on tv, buying a replica jersey and calling himself a 'fan'... :rolleyes:

You don't have any arguement about being a real fan unless the team you support is your local team, tbh, and even then I think the whole real fan arguement is a load of balls.

Headshot for United mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It does in my eyes since you don't support your team and these threads are for the superfans. I would grant you access if I'm on the voting panel.

If this goes ahead which it should.

• Advertisement

that another shot at me? Fed up with this and fed up with you. I call on the mods to ban you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think we should hire this fellah

Would you except the job of Marshal of the Pool thread SOTS?

I mean your obviously in it a good bit so you'd be one of the better candidates.
    If it was acceptable to everyone yeah wouldnt say no to it.

RasTa wrote: »
    I would grant you access if I'm on the voting panel.
    Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is this a wind-up? It being April Fools and all...

that another shot at me? Fed up with this and fed up with you. I call on the mods to ban you.

Your a glory hunter Mitch tbf, you barely know the United first team aside from what you read on Wikipedia and see in Football Manager and once someone else comes to prominence winning English titles I wouldn't be suprised to see you supporting them.

Your exactly the kind of person who was supporting SunIREland just because Roy Keane was the manager.

Call on the Mods to ban me if you want, but that's coz you know I'm right and you don't want me saying it anymore!

• Advertisement

If it was acceptable to everyone yeah wouldnt say no to it.

I know we've disagreed in the past but you'd have my vote over that troll Mr. Alan anyway.

Will probably be banned for calling someone a troll now won't I? :rolleyes:

Your a glory hunter Mitch tbf, you barely know the United first team aside from what you read on Wikipedia and see in Football Manager and once someone else comes to prominence winning English titles I wouldn't be suprised to see you supporting them.

Your exactly the kind of person who was supporting SunIREland just because Roy Keane was the manager.

Call on the Mods to ban me if you want, but that's coz you know I'm right and you don't want me saying it anymore!

Hope this idea goes through so antagonistic posters like you can be more easily ignored.

If you're not invited, can you still read the superthreads/subforum? Personally I don't post much but I read the Manchester Utd superthread all the time. Is it a case if you're not contributing you don't get invited?

You can read soccer without being able to post in it. Same system would able hear I imagine. So they wouldn't be private per see.

Personal I don't care who could read the sub forums, it is who is posting in them that I would be concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Is this a wind-up? It being April Fools and all...

I don't think anybody rightly knows...

Hope this idea goes through so antagonistic posters like you can be more easily ignored.

There's an Ignore Function.

I suggest you use it barstooler.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement