Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the name of this forum be changed?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

As an add-on to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055856671 I thought a poll might be in order.

Should the name of this forum be changed? 83 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - LGBT
    33% 28 votes
    Yes - Other
    60% 50 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As an aside I've submitted a request to have the name changed on the forums forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872143

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Whoops!
    One of those no's should be a yes to LGBT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Strange, the poll seems to indicate that there are a number of people against the name change, but I was the only one making any argument against in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I figured some people would like to keep the status quo, but remain anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

Well I voted no. I assume the theme of this forum is sexual orientation, so LGB covers all angles (except for asexuality!). I don't care much either way though and if it makes people happy I don't see the harm. But I don't feel I or many on the people on this board can contribute to transgender issues in any meaningful way and I guess people are better off going elsewhere for help or discussion. After all, this board isn't that active. Perhaps there could be a sticky about it, linking to a popular transgender forum. I don't want it to sound like I want to exclude transgender individuals for any sort of bigoted reason, I fully believe we should stick together and support each other, but this isn't really a "community" board is it? It's more about the specific issues surrounding sexual orientation. It clearly means a lot to some people though, so maybe I should have voted yes...I'm just arguing with myself now. I guess if boards has no alternative for transgender issues, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

The content of this forum will remain exactly the same even if the name is changed, there is unlikely to be much overt T or q discussion, but lgbt and increasingly q are together almost everywhere, I think a name change would be right. Of course personalities and different schools of thought will mean there isn't always likely to be a bond, even within g or b or l, but well I think in the interests of furthering the cause of a more inclusive society, T should be allowed under the umbrella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 livlondon

I believe adding a 'T' would be positive. From the point of view of conformity with the widely accepted acronym or 'collective term.' There are more similarities outside the 'sexual orientation' discussion for all of these communities than would be first perceived for instance acceptance (family, public and work), public awareness, legality issues, etc...

As per Johnnymcg's post the discussion has already started for the name change so get your views in there also. Discuss and be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

To me, its just offering a slightly more "warm welcome" to people who identify as trans.

No brainer for me there.

Welcome all trans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dav has said he is happy to make the change

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66078691&postcount=33

From the ongoing discussions here over the last few months I haven't seen myself more than 2 people state their opposition to a change in a post - yes people voted against such a change above but the vast majority of them never came on here and explained why!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've been lurking here for a while before working up to posting, and it did confuse me why transgender wasn't in the forum name. I read that big thread about the name which just seemed like some people were shouting down someone who simply questioned it, so I felt a bit of hostility from the get go. I'm happy to see now that it's just a vocal minority and I really hope that won't stand in the way of this forum making progress. I'm hopeful that my posts here are appreciated, because I feel like I was just toeing the waters at first, not really feeling like I was on topic and wondering how my topic would have been received. I would greatly appreciate a name change for the forum, and I do hope that it might send out a more positive message to other posters who might want to post here but feel unsure if they're even welcome or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

As requested and having seen that the majority are in favour of this, I've changed the name of the forum.

It will still be showing as before in the drop down menus - they update at around midnight so don't panic :)

Dav

Advertisement