Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow- Pierse and Fitzgibbon court threats

Options
  • 01-04-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm wondering if anybody else has had the same experience as me?

I travelled on the M50 on December 22nd. Later that day I paid €6. Unfortunately this was apparently a late fee for a journey dated December 18th. Fast forward a few months and I get a letter from Pierse and Fitzgibbon saying I owe €152 and to pay immediately or be taken to court. I explained the situation and told them I never received an unpaid toll notice, let alone two of them. I pointed out I received an unpaid toll notice for a trip in January which I paid straight away. This argument being had they actually made me aware of the unpaid toll- I would have paid it. They are having none of it.

They told me they did send 2 notices and they are not even obliged to send me a notice at all.

Has anyone been to court over this?

Do they have to prove that they sent the notices and that I received them?

Advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I received two notices from them (intention to summons me to court) for my car. However the notices were related to the day just before I bought the car. So I rang the solicitors, explained this, they took my details and rang back the next day saying that the notices would be dropped.

So they do seem to respond to things.

The onus is on you to pay your fines. The UTNs are just nice to haves.

Actually when you log on to pay an UTN, you can see all unpaid transactions relating to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I received notices from them re a car I had sold 5 months previously. The car was sold to a dealer but he never transferred ownership. I explained that I no longer owned it and they said without proof they would continue action. I had no proof as I no longer had the car and all was dealt in cash so no statements or anything, just my word I guess. I got on to Shannon about it and explained the situation, gave the details of the person the car was sold to etc etc.

Next I heard was around 6mths later from their solicitor who I called immediately. I explained the situation, they again asked for proof which I said I could not supply but would completely refuse to pay for a car that was no longer mine, especially considering we had notified the dealer when we received penalty notices. I gave the solicitor the dealers info and never heard from them again.

I had a similar situation to yourself in the last few months, problems with my direct debit caused y account to be suspended, I received 5 penalites and logged on to pay them and there were another 2 older unpaid penalties for 45 each I think or whatever comes after the 6. I called to say I was unaware of these penalties and what could we do about it, they agreed to wipe them if I cleared the other outstanding amounts and renewed my direct debit details, all fair and square now.

I think the main thing is to have the right attitude when you deal with people, at the end of the day they have rules to follow and are unlikely to go out of their way if someone goes in all guns blazing. (not that I'm saying you were, just that the nicer you are the more likely they are to help you, trust me I kissed ass to get the notices cancelled that time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

dudara wrote: »
    I received two notices from them (intention to summons me to court) for my car. However the notices were related to the day just before I bought the car. So I rang the solicitors, explained this, they took my details and rang back the next day saying that the notices would be dropped.

So they do seem to respond to things.

The onus is on you to pay your fines. The UTNs are just nice to haves.

Actually when you log on to pay an UTN, you can see all unpaid transactions relating to your car.

Never noticed this!!

Advertisement