Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia ADSL Router

• 01-04-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering is it possible to use the Eircom router on a different service provider?

I have Broadband in a house in the UK, but the router has packed in, the ISP don't issue routers it seems. Is it possible for me to use an eircom one? or are they locked to an eircom network?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

sure you can, the only thing you need is a login and password of your new provider in UK, they will tell you no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I don't have one to hand but just make sure the router supports PPPoA encapsulation AFAIK most UK DSL ISP's use PPPoA rather than PPPoE and it should be good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bazideluxe

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I don't have one to hand but just make sure the router supports PPPoA encapsulation AFAIK most UK DSL ISP's use PPPoA rather than PPPoE and it should be good to go

the standart netopia router from eircom also supports PPPoA protocol, shouldn`t be any problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

There's Motorola and Zyxel Eircom branded routers out there now too. Most Zyxels support it but it was a Zyxel that caught me out in Belfast. As for being locked I haven't come across an Eircom one I couldn't reconfigure for another ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Bazideluxe wrote: »
    the standart netopia router from eircom also supports PPPoA protocol, shouldn`t be any problem

Yeah it is a Netopia one, one of the silver ones. My original one was navy, but now i have 2 silver ones. thanks for all the advice, i'll take one over and hopefully it will save me a few quid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement