Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

whyulittle wrote: »
    I was walking out of Applegreen there this evening, and you could see the traffic backing up onto the overpass.

It was really bad on Monday evening - queue stretched from J12 almost back to J10.

I moved to Athlone on Monday (I'm now walking distance from work) so Monday was the first and last time that I got stuck in that traffic.

I bet the worst of the delay is caused by bad merging, as in "I've been waiting longer and you're not getting in front of me type road rage!
    Use both lanes and "zip merge" at the works, it'll be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Seen the safety speed camera van knocking around near AIT yesterday, they must have been on their way to McDonalds to stock up on burgers and fries :-)

It looks like they have really got stuck in in their first week of work. A good stretch of the median cleared Westbound (after the Shannon Bridge). Lots of work going on at J12 Eastbound also, looks as though they are gearing up for the 3 week closure (which begins sometime next week).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

One thing I don't understand about the speed restrictions - theres no (or at least very little) work on the eastbound section that I could see passing last night. It makes no sense to enforce a reduced limit on this section until the junction closures & contraflows start.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand about the speed restrictions - theres no (or at least very little) work on the eastbound section that I could see passing last night. It makes no sense to enforce a reduced limit on this section until the junction closures & contraflows start.

True! The council & contractors are just lazy, rather than dynamically manage the limits so they only cover the works, they have decided to limit the entire section in one go!

And possibly to cover their asses, as there is slow moving construction vehicles on both carriageways from time to time.
    Also they removed the "End" signs from the Roadworks signs just after you cross the Shannon going Eastbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

N6 Athlone Relief Road Update 7th Feb 4.00pm

Due to ongoing road maintenance on the N6 Athlone Relief Road the following traffic restrictions will be in place from 10th to 22nd of February 2011.

A road closure will be in place on the N6 Athlone Relief Road eastbound carriageway from Junctions 12, Tuam Road Interchange to Junction 13, Roscommon Road with a contra flow system on the Westbound carriageway adjacent to the works.

The eastbound on-ramp at Junction 13 will be closed during this time with a diversion along the old Galway Road.

The eastbound off-Ramp at Junction 12 will be closed during this period with a diversion via Coosan Interchange.

Regular updates will be posted on this website www.westmeathcoco.ie and on local radio.

Westmeath County Council wishes to thank you for your co-operation and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,8739,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bit stupid to divert J12 eastbound travellers through town. Not that i mind. J13 is my nest and it will be packed enough without the westerners going through Old Galway Road as it is

yeah i would say that is their reasoning behind not having the two diversions on the one road.
    At least they are on time! Hope the rest of the road closures occur on time

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    yeah i would say that is their reasoning behind not having the two diversions on the one road.
    At least they are on time! Hope the rest of the road closures occur on time

If they missed the first milestone, then we're in big trouble. ;)

Those lazy workers doing up the new roundabout on Tuam road near Super Valu - thats bad enough right now without all the extra traffic

Finishing last October my backside.

Any chance of a third lane wetbound J12-J13. All that digging looks to have unearthed one? Maybe this isnt such a waste of time after all...

Any chance of a third lane wetbound J12-J13. All that digging looks to have unearthed one? Maybe this isnt such a waste of time after all...
    Think they are replacing the soft median with a hard one. Some/all of the hard shoulder would probably have to be sacrificed for a third lane (like the auxilary lane J10-11). It could be done but it's probably best to leave the hard shoulder or else pedestrians* and cyclists* will be mingling with 100+kmh traffic which would be a recipe for disaster.

* :rolleyes:

Id say they might be changing the Roscommon slip road, but it could just be for laying of the utilities pipes.
    BTW Workworks at Supervalue are planned to be finished Mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR wrote: »
    Think they are replacing the soft median with a hard one. Some/all of the hard shoulder would probably have to be sacrificed for a third lane (like the auxilary lane J10-11). It could be done but it's probably best to leave the hard shoulder or else pedestrians* and cyclists* will be mingling with 100+kmh traffic which would be a recipe for disaster.

* :rolleyes:
    Or we could do something that makes sense and ban pedestrian traffic from the road - minimal hard should is grand for cyclists (motorists don't consider it part of the road so generally don't stray into it). Combined with the lane width in use for M50 I think we could get 3 lanes - anyone want to work out if this is possible?

Dont really see the advantage in making the road three lane as the bridge is only two lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Dont really see the advantage in making the road three lane as the bridge is only two lane.

I suppose the idea is to allow local traffic to scoot West from J12 to J13 without leaving a LILO lane. Bad idea.

I suppose the idea is to allow local traffic to scoot West from J12 to J13 without leaving a LILO lane. Bad idea.

If that's the plan, then it's a very good idea, traffic joining then leaving the main driving lanes there often causes bunching.

If that's the plan, then it's a very good idea, traffic joining then leaving the main driving lanes there often causes bunching.

Not many that use it...Monksland people going northwest (myself from time to time but still...)

Doubt theyd make the investment in doing it just for the likes of myself. If they are, score! :D

In theory, they could put an aux lane in between all junctions except J11-12. I actually reckon it would be possible to put a third lane over the bridge, not easy or cheap...just possible. Can't see it being done though unless traffic is unbearable on the bypass in a couple of decades.

• Advertisement

New (small) speed camera sign westbound before the railway bridge at Garrycastle.

New (small) speed camera sign westbound before the railway bridge at Garrycastle.

Cant wait to stick the boot down there this evening!

Seriously though, good spot for one - quite an unforgiving turn made worse by the junction which can be lethal if backed up.

Diversion maps online.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Diversion%20Map%201.pdf

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Diversion%20Map%202.pdf

The diversion via Coosan is back on the westbound carriageway, not through town.....aaaaaaaahh!

That does make more sense alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your not getting me. The junction was built so that Motorists can get onto the Shannonbridge (R348 i think) and Ballinasloe(R446) roadS. If there was no R road within shouting distance, id take your point, but in this case also no

YES you can have an L road at the junction. But if it doesnt have an R road nearby, then it shouldnt be on a Motoway (is my understanding of the rule)

Something reminded me of this today... The M1 "Drogheda South" junction is solely with an L road (which is a DC at that point...) and hasn't got an R road anywhere nearby.

The Enniskerry junction on the M11 is signed as an L road also, but google suggests it does have an R the other side.

There is a bit in the Westmeath today about the contradicting speed limit signs.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get any confirmation from Go Safe which limit they are working off.

You'd think they'd be more than happy to be open about it in terms of driver's safety and all.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/02/09/4003064-criticism-voiced-over-50kph-bypass-limit-during-upgrade-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The single lane stretch from J12 to J13 Westbound was closed completely today due to an accident.

Fog and poor traffic management in equal parts, I'd say. Hope no-one was injured.

Dont think traffic management had anything to do with it.
    They did a very good job of traffic joining at Roscommon, as your already funnelled into the "slow" lane and the rejoining eastbound traffic is funnelled into the "fast" lane.

From what I could see there was a truck involved and a car(that looked like it was going the wrong way on the eastbound road)
    im not 100% sure if thats happened, but thats what it looks like, the recovery vans have been there for over 2 hours and its still not shifted.
    But at least I didnt see any Ambulances,so dont think anyone was hurt.

This morning was epic.

Think of Moate, Ballinasloe and Athlone pre-bypass put together and your still not close.

Dear Junction 13: Please come back - all is forgiven

Ah good times alright this morning, eastbound road like a ghostown and westbound like the M50.

• Advertisement

Ah good times alright this morning, eastbound road like a ghostown and westbound like the M50.

Hmm just decided that i may park the car at Ganleys this evening and cycle to it from Monksland. Otherwise will have to wake up an hour earlier for the next 3 wks

Advertisement