Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I haven't been on it to see if they are keeping to schedule, but it they are, J12 Eastbound on-ramp, and J11 Eastbound off-ramp will be closed.

Maps should be online tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

not looking good as they are already 3 days behind on phase 1. I have gotten onto wcc about the lack of info about the new lane closures and why the works are behind schedule already. Also asked them why they didnt give info that works would be carried out at night time.as parts of bypass go through residental areas(like where i live)↲Will post here when/if i hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If J13 eastbound (currently closed) remains closed tomorrow when J12 eastbound closes....

Town is gonna grind to a halt as only 1 road bridge will remain accessible. I may rent a boat

i would hope that they will only close j12 when the works allow j13 to be opened.i think they are ready for the next contra flow but they have to finish off road surface between j13 and j12

I emailed them the other day looking for maps of the next closures, got back to me within a few minutes. They were back in touch again today to say the website should be updated, which it now is.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,8852,en.html

• Advertisement

Thanks - thats fine for long distance comuters but what about Monksland - do we have to go through town?

To go from where to where? Monksland on-ramp will open once the Roscommon one closes. They are only allowed have one closed at a time.

whyulittle wrote: »
    To go from where to where? Monksland on-ramp will open once the Roscommon one closes. They are only allowed have one closed at a time.

Monksland to East Athlone

Though they were behind on the works. Are we safe to take the J13 east on ramp tomorrow then?

No, from Monday according to the update.
    Due to ongoing road maintenance on the N6 Athlone Relief Road the following traffic restrictions will be in place from Monday 28th February to Monday 14th March 2011

The N6 Athlone Relief Road will be down to one lane in each direction between junction 11 (Coosan) and junction 12 (Roscommon) from Monday 28th February until Monday 14th March 2011.

The eastbound exit at junction 11 and the eastbound entry at junction 12 will also be closed during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

billbond4 wrote: »
    not looking good as they are already 3 days behind on phase 1. I have gotten onto wcc about the lack of info about the new lane closures and why the works are behind schedule already. Also asked them why they didnt give info that works would be carried out at night time.as parts of bypass go through residental areas(like where i live)↲Will post here when/if i hear back

What's the extent of the work that is being carried out at night?

I agree that they should have publicised the night works. The noise might be annoying but working at night might greatly reduce disruption (i.e. - works get done quicker and a lot less traffic chaos).

Two short sections of the N6 were resurfaced in Galway City in the last 2/3 years. One was done at night - I'm sure the noise was annoying for the local residents but there was pretty much no disruption apart from a minor detour and the works only last a few nights (because they were able to close the road). The other section was done during the day only with one lane in each direction at all times - absolute chaos, Galway was at a standstill for almost 2 weeks (despite this section being shorter than the one which only took a few nights); the local residents didn't have their sleep disturbed but it was a living nightmare for them if they tried to travel anywhere by day.

• Advertisement

Thats looking bad, 7 days longer than they planned for the first phase!!
    if it keeps going like that it could be 2012 before the works are completed.

They are carrying out the same work as they do during the day,road surface removal etc. and it doesnt seem to be speeding up the work as they are already 7 days behind. The noise wasnt too bad but they should have made that information available.

I was across town tonight so I said I'd come home via the bypass to have a look.

There is a VMS at J12 on and J11 off, saying each will be closed for two weeks from Friday March 4th, so I give up at this stage!

so which dates are correct? Its hard to believe that a private company are a week late and their info is all over the shop. You would think that the council were building it!

What i dont get is..

Were the works really needed? Bypass (a few potholes aside) pretty ok as roads go. the motorway either side shows it up but im pretty hapy with it.

Money should have gone on a proper junction for N62 IMO. The current arrangement of U-ing is daft

What i dont get is..

Were the works really needed? Bypass (a few potholes aside) pretty ok as roads go. the motorway either side shows it up but im pretty hapy with it.

Money should have gone on a proper junction for N62 IMO. The current arrangement of U-ing is daft
    A few potholes, the first signs of the surface breaking up.

If it was left alone, it would revert to gravel within a few years and would need constant patching. It's best to do it all in one go and be good for another 20 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Were the works really needed? Bypass (a few potholes aside) pretty ok as roads go.

Surface was bad and getting worse, catseyes were useless, markings worn off, signage invisible under 20 years of gunge, crash barriers in bits...

I think it needs more than this little patch job, it needs remediation at every junction, but I'm not encouraged to hear talk of traffic lights at the BallyMahon and Blyry exits...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Surface was bad and getting worse, catseyes were useless, markings worn off, signage invisible under 20 years of gunge, crash barriers in bits...

I think it needs more than this little patch job, it needs remediation at every junction, but I'm not encouraged to hear talk of traffic lights at the BallyMahon and Blyry exits...

Yeah, the armco median barrier on the bend to the East of the Shannon is a disgrace - a crossover accident waiting to happen.

problem with bypass is that the underlying surface was of poor quality. This will be the third time the road is surfaced. The surface was degrading very badly especially since the bad weather last year.↲wonder will contractors get a fine for being a week late on first phase?↲Have the proposed traffic lights at blyry exit been approved or are they waiting for approval ?

just looking on the willis bros website and it says that they will be doing pavement overlay.any idea where they might be laying the new pavement? I saw them laying utility pipes next to hard shoulder on eastbound carriageway between j13 and j12 the last few weeks

I took pavement to mean road surface?

• Advertisement

yeah your right.Works seems to have slowed down a good bit on bypass.i wonder is it because willis bros are finishing off the new tuam road in monksland and spreading workforce between two jobs?

the aa said that they have started work on j11 and j12 today but have they reopened j13 to j12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 absorbentmind

Just wodering does anyone on this thread commute from Galway to Athlone. Looking to carpool to save on the cost of travel, Ive started using the train with the price of fuel but would gladly change back to driving if I could carpool. I don't mind driving the whole time if necessary.
    I travel Monday-Friday.

just seen on aa roadwatch that j13 to j12 will be closed until this friday.Making it nearly two weeks late!any one got info on the delay? Work seems to have slowed down a lot on the bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just wodering does anyone on this thread commute from Galway to Athlone.

Sorry, I commute the other way, Athlone to Galway.

But if you tell me what you drive, I'll wave! :D

Due to ongoing road maintenance on the N6 Athlone Relief Road the following traffic restrictions will be in place from
    Thursday 3rd March to Sunday 20th March 2011

The N6 Athlone Relief Road will be down to one lane in each direction between junction 11 (Coosan) and junction 12 (Roscommon) from Thursday 3rd March until Sunday 20th March 2011.

The eastbound exit at junction 11 and the eastbound entry at junction 12 will also be closed during this period.

Regular updates and diversion drawings will be posted on this website www.westmeathcoco.ie and announced on local radio.
    Westmeath County Council wishes to thank you for your co-operation and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,8865,en.html

lets just hope they will keep to closing the junctions on these dates and not change them again.↲just checked online and dates have changed (again) its now the 6th to 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

billbond4 wrote: »
    lets just hope they will keep to closing the junctions on these dates and not change them again.↲just checked online and dates have changed (again) its now the 6th to 22nd

The electronic signs are now saying Wednesday 9th March for the new closures! (which means J13 on ramp / J12 off ramp won't open until then) Oh how I miss the J13 on ramp.

wcc have plans for up for the junctions now.they must have gotten a deal on traffic lights from somewhere.↲
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,8882,en.html

• Advertisement

Westbound H/S coned off from Garrycastle and ducting going down.

Advertisement