Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

*N6/WESTMEATH/ROSCOMMON* There is currently no exit off the N6/Athlone Bypass at J13 Athlone West. An overturned truck is being removed from the Tuam Slip Rd R/A. • There are also works on the N6 affecting some access to and exits from the bypass. The N6 is down to one lane eastbound from J13 to J11 Athlone Centre and westbound from J11 to J12 Roscommon. • From Galway to Athlone, exit the N6 at J12 or at any exit between J10 Ballymahon and J8 Athlone East (M6). • Headed from Dublin towards Athlone, exit between J8 and J12. • From Roscommon onto the N6 eastbound, you will have to take the Old N6 (R446) through the town and access the bypass via J10.

On RTÉ also.

As soon as I saw the headline "Overturned truck in Athlone" I thought J13 on the bypass. Truck overturned in the same spot in 2009 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

Tuam Slip Rd off the N6/Athlone Bypass at J13 Athlone West has reopened after the removal of an overturned truck.
    aaroadwatch -- Muppet of Truck driver

KevR wrote: »
    On RTÉ also.

As soon as I saw the headline "Overturned truck in Athlone" I thought J13 on the bypass. Truck overturned in the same spot in 2009 as well.

I think we need some more warning signs at some of these junctions, the bends are very severe nad frequently catch the dozy!

I've seen plenty of tyre marks not making the curves along there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think we need some more warning signs at some of these junctions, the bends are very severe nad frequently catch the dozy!

I've seen plenty of tyre marks not making the curves along there!

Theyre pretty bad yes but severe is stretching a point. That truck drivers stupidity surely occurs in other areas of his life too. Cant save everyone...

The junction sign should show the vertical turn similar to the upgraded J12 one and for me, that should satisfy the muppitest muppet. Beyond that they shouldnt be on the road. Im a clumsy guy but my motoring has been (touch wood) pretty safe thusfar

the truck overturned on the roundabout.so it had nothing to do with road leading up. Load inside truck must not have been secured propely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They were working in the overtaking lane between J9 and J10, westbound tonight. I'm not sure if they were digging up the central median, or setting up the next contra flow.

billbond4 wrote: »
    yeah I though that was something that they forgot, but they were right not to put the lines and cateyes on edge of the outside lane, as it might confuse drivers with the two lanes merging into one lane.

It also gives a bit of extra carriageway for the contraflow when the westbound sections are worked on.

I still think they missed a golden oppertunity to put an aux lane between Monklands and the Roscommon junctions, it would have been so easy at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

whyulittle wrote: »
    They were working in the overtaking lane between J9 and J10, westbound tonight. I'm not sure if they were digging up the central median, or setting up the next contra flow.

Hopefully next contraflow is better lit than existing one which is a hazard!

well well .guess whos behind schedule Again! No final layers put down between j12 and j11 over weekend.but it seems no one told the traffic management company that willis bros are behind schedule as they have prepared for the next contra flow. Its turning into a disaster with these contractors. They should be dumped. They are 20 weeks behind on the new tuam road.

yet another crash on bypass this evening.at j12 roscommon. I have a feeling it wont be long before the guards will be out catching people who do over the 50kph on the bypass.

• Advertisement

yet another crash on bypass this evening.at j12 roscommon. I have a feeling it wont be long before the guards will be out catching people who do over the 50kph on the bypass.

As long as they concentrate their efforts on the sections that are being affected by the works, then that's fine.

I hope they don't just stick a gatso van miles away, but chances are that's precisly what they'll do. :rolleyes:

yeah i dont have problem with speed camera on section being worked on.but they will probably just put gatso van somewhere else on bypass

I was driving on it today for the first time in a good while, and there is work of some description going on on most of it now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056221240

I'd heard the fire station was completely emptied of all appliances as well, sounds serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

well well .guess whos behind schedule Again! No final layers put down between j12 and j11 over weekend.but it seems no one told the traffic management company that willis bros are behind schedule as they have prepared for the next contra flow. Its turning into a disaster with these contractors. They should be dumped. They are 20 weeks behind on the new tuam road.

Open letter to Westmeath Co. Co.

Can we please pay whatever the Japanese want to get the guys who repaired this road in?

Well were fecked, those Willis Bros dont have a clue on how to stick to schedules!!
    Blacktopping will commence today and Bridge joints to be replaced next week, so phase two should have been completed by March 10 and will only be completed on April 10,
    At the current rate of two weeks extra per phase, its going to be January next year but if you factor in parts staying open for christmas/triathlone etc. Next February is a more reasonable timeline !!!
    FFS its unreal the delay and still no updated time schedules !!

WCC have a new link up on their webpage, but guess what it doesnt work!!
    It points to old update on March 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

would it not have been more cost effective to have run the M6 south of Athlone rather than use the existing n6 bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

funnyname wrote: »
    would it not have been more cost effective to have run the M6 south of Athlone rather than use the existing n6 bypass?

The upgrade isn't going to be costing anything *close* to the cost of routing south with the inherent even larger bridge.

However, it would have been a far better idea, especially as when it was being planned we had what seemed like limitless money.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they "front-loaded" the schedule, so there was some wriggle room built in near the end. Fine assuming no further delays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Time to get the Japanese lads in what doyou reckon?

Sounds like they "front-loaded" the schedule, so there was some wriggle room built in near the end. Fine assuming no further delays.
    Thats a big if !! (there are no further delays)
    But it looks quiet bad if a contractor gives an estimate of how long a phase will take to complete and over runs that phase. Whats to say the end date of August is only a rough guess, I suppose we can only see what happens with the next few phases as regards to the contractor doing work in a certain period of time.

Now the roadsigns that displayed the dates when roads were closed are now changed to belt up and traffic cameras in operation, (Thanks to the muppets who crashed on the bypass lately for that one !! ) suppose as no one knows exactly when a the phase will finish.

Thats a big if !! (there are no further delays)
    But it looks quiet bad if a contractor gives an estimate of how long a phase will take to complete and over runs that phase. Whats to say the end date of August is only a rough guess, I suppose we can only see what happens with the next few phases as regards to the contractor doing work in a certain period of time.

Driving through yesterday I noticed that they don't appear to have moved the merge from 2 lanes to single lane forward on the section where the earliest work has been done (eastbound between Tuam-J13 and Roscommon-j12). All the the concrete barriers appear to be still in place as well.

I wonder if they're planning on leaving them there for when they do the westbound sections to save time?

funnyname wrote: »

I could never understand why they didn't

I would love to know how the contractor is going to get the time lost with all the micking around they seem to be doing, Currently phase 3 is scheduled to be finished on May 1 (ish)
    Orig plans had them finished on the Eastbound carriageway and started the westbound carriageway by then.
    Hope they have penalties if they go into September !

I could never understand why they didn't

Because the roads to Roscommon and Longford enter the town from the north!

Because the roads to Roscommon and Longford enter the town from the north!

Also:
    • The M6 was originally designated HQDC not motorway, so no need to re-route as the bypass is already DC and would only have to be repaved rather than more serious upgrade works
    • There would realistically have to be two link roads built to the southern road - one from either end of the bypass, similar to Moate.
    • Flooding in the area south of Athlone where such a road would be built.

tbh I doubt if it was ever seriously considered as an option.

Athlone Public Reps Meet with Gardaí Over N6 Roadworks

Athlone Town Councillors are to meet with the Gardaí to discuss roadworks on the N6.
    Public Representatives have voiced their disappointment at the local Authority Meeting over the ongoing traffic jams around the town.
    Major delays have been caused as a result of ongoing lane closures for repairs.
    Business people saying it's having a major effect on the local economy.

http://www.midlands103.com/news_detail.aspx?footer=1&news_id=12359

• Advertisement

Lets just hope im wrong !!!

The works will be carried out by Wills Bros Ltd and will take approximately 10 months between the start of January and the end of October 2011

http://www.athlone.ie/udc/n6relief_road.html

It was stated all along that end of August was the deadline and that the contractor was able to keep to it, I asked for a clarification on the above and am still waiting,

Advertisement