Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This argument has been covered but..

The town centre route is an alternative. How does non-motorway traffic go to Dublin airport for instance?

I still dream of the day they ban tractors (and enforce the ban) from this road. Its most visible during the works the inconvenience (and safety hazard) they cause by being there.

And to this day i STILL dont get why they do it - there is no time saving going 40-50kmph on a longer distance when they could average this speed through town.

Those who argue that theyd hold up traffic in town..poppycock. You cant go that fast in the town anyway so its complete bull to suggest they slow the town down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

This argument has been covered but..

The town centre route is an alternative. How does non-motorway traffic go to Dublin airport for instance?

I still dream of the day they ban tractors (and enforce the ban) from this road. Its most visible during the works the inconvenience (and safety hazard) they cause by being there.

And to this day i STILL dont get why they do it - there is no time saving going 40-50kmph on a longer distance when they could average this speed through town.

Those who argue that theyd hold up traffic in town..poppycock. You cant go that fast in the town anyway so its complete bull to suggest they slow the town down.

I think its the sheer size of them that would slow the town down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Athlone should have another bridge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Click thumbnails for full size images

Junction 9 looking West
    [Thursday, 21/04/2011]
    th_DSC00056.jpg?t=1303758634

Junction 10 looking West down along the Eastbound off-ramp
    [Friday, 22/04/2011]
    th_DSC00057.jpg?t=1303758634

Junction 10 looking West [Friday, 22/04/2011]
    th_DSC00058.jpg?t=1303758634

I think its the sheer size of them that would slow the town down.
    Definitely, some sections of the high street are too narrow for two lorries to pass.
    Athlone should have another bridge anyway.

Barring an (another) economic miracle, that simply isn't going to be built ever! If anything traffic flows are beginning to reduce rather than increase.

• Advertisement

If anything traffic flows are beginning to reduce rather than increase.

In Athlone? Really? I have to say im not noticing it. Roads in and out of town are very packed most days.

In Athlone? Really? I have to say im not noticing it. Roads in and out of town are very packed most days.
    I've noticed that whenever I've had the misfortune to have to go into the town that the queue from the barracks is shorter than a couple of years ago.

Not an easy one to call, right now there may be a slight increase due to some dodging the roadworks.

Saw a GoSafe van joining the bypass Westbound from J9 and it looked as though it was driving well above the 50kmh speed limit :rolleyes:

KevR wrote: »
    Saw a GoSafe van joining the bypass Westbound from J9 and it looked as though it was driving well above the 50kmh speed limit :rolleyes:
    Just imagine the irony if a Garda traffic car stopped it! :D

Anyway, it proves that even GoSafe drivers understand the dangers of complying with a stupidly placed limit!

Junction 9 Eastbound off-ramp closed when I passed by at lunchtime today.

Photo from J9 overbridge today, looking West
    th_DSC00061.jpg?t=1304082264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

All this talk of Tractors and Athlone, be careful folks ye might invoke the spirit of Mysterious and the mythical 10k Tractors a day! -- we wouldn't want a "Candyman incident" ;)

I bet he won't complain about being stuck behind the last one. :D

Was walking home from the City Link bus stop at AIT last night and there was some work being done at J9 at roughly 00:00! I think they were doing some work with the temporary contra-flow barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

KevR wrote: »
    work being done at J9 at roughly 00:00!

I live within earshot of the bypass, and I often hear machinery banging away past midnight.

Going east (very early) this morning, I saw that the contraflow between J9 & 10 had just been removed and work was inprogress to put the contraflow in between J8 & 9 (between Garrycastle & Kilmartin roundabout).

The speed restrictions end in the middle of the works! :eek::rolleyes:

That is crazy.. half way through the roadworks the speed limit is signed back up to 100kmh, and most of the road that is clear of works is still signed at 50.

There can only be one person who could have planned it this way!
    9781405235822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Going east (very early) this morning, I saw that the contraflow between J9 & 10 had just been removed and work was inprogress to put the contraflow in between J8 & 9 (between Garrycastle & Kilmartin roundabout).

If the original docs they put up are to be believed, they're supposed to be on the second section of contraflow for westbound traffic at this stage (I make it about 4-6 weeks behind). Is there any sign that this will improve, or are we (still) looking at 6-8 weeks late for final completion?

antoobrien wrote: »
    If the original docs they put up are to be believed, they're supposed to be on the second section of contraflow for westbound traffic at this stage (I make it about 4-6 weeks behind). Is there any sign that this will improve, or are we (still) looking at 6-8 weeks late for final completion?

I can't see them making up that time now without doubling up a couple of sections of work, but the disruption caused by having more than two junctions partially closed would be too much.

It will just finish late, I suppose.

I can't see them making up that time now without doubling up a couple of sections of work, but the disruption caused by having more than two junctions partially closed would be too much.

It will just finish late, I suppose.

In fairness, its bearable at the moment (and for the forseeable future). Only when they get beyond Coosan on the way back will the pooh hit the fan again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I think its better when the full length of the bypass is down to one lane. You don't have as much merging trouble from 2 to 1 lane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Except you get prick holes who think they can undertake you the whole length of a hard shoulder just because they joined on one exit and are coming back off the next exit. That's only allowed between junctions 10 and 11 folks.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Except you get prick holes who think they can undertake you the whole length of a hard shoulder just because they joined on one exit and are coming back off the next exit. That's only allowed between junctions 10 and 11 folks.

:rolleyes: Whatever...

Personally i dont think it makes any difference to others in the queue. If anything it lessens the queue for the longer distance travellers as those only taking exit 9-10 for instance are out of the way quicker.

And before you mention the emergency services, breakdowns etc, I have to point out that numerous tractor drivers use this too. Feel free to call them prick holes - at least i'm on and off in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

I see there was only 3 submissions made to westmeath co co about the N6 works. I thought there would have been more.
    Maybe people do like traffic lights after all :D

billbond4 wrote: »
    I see there was only 3 submissions made to westmeath co co about the N6 works. I thought there would have been more.
    Maybe people do like traffic lights after all :D

One of them was mine...
    Is that all:rolleyes:

and I was the other one.
    Seemly there wont be traffic lights on the roscommon junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Anyone notice the newly laid eastbound carraigeway (between J9 and J8 at least) is significantly lower than the westbound?

whyulittle wrote: »
    Anyone notice the newly laid eastbound carraigeway (between J9 and J8 at least) is significantly lower than the westbound?

Cam't say I've noticed, it could be the camber of the curve that you've noticed now the greenery from the central reservation has gone.

Junction 9 looking East (Thursday, 02/06/2011)

Click thumbnail for full size image

th_DSC00075.jpg

Yep! the resurfacing works have started on the westbound carriageway now, will be interesting to see how the works on the central reservation are carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If theoretically the resurface of the west bound lane took the same time as the east bound works, when would the surfacing finish up?

Advertisement