Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

dolanbaker wrote: »
    I suspect that rather than mess about with rolling lane closures they're decided to keep the entire lane 2 closed. Does have the advantage that works traffic remains separate and the right hand white lining and cats eyes job can be done in one hit!
    They should be able to do the Same job with a forward rolling Lane closure.
    anyway see they had some sense this afternoon and Made from j10 dual Lane westbound. That should have Made traffic flow a bit better

billbond4 wrote: »
    dolanbaker wrote: »
    I suspect that rather than mess about with rolling lane closures they're decided to keep the entire lane 2 closed. Does have the advantage that works traffic remains separate and the right hand white lining and cats eyes job can be done in one hit!
    They should be able to do the Same job with a forward rolling Lane closure.
    anyway see they had some sense this afternoon and Made from j10 dual Lane.. westbound. That should have Made traffic flow a bit better
    Back to single Lane again this morning westbound. And a Lane switchover after j11 slip road.
    Hopefully their messing will be finished soon. As most of concrete median is done. Except between j11 and j10

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was on the bypass over the weekend and last weekend. Looks like a lot of work to be done with surfacing still not completed in large sections. Its the end of September pretty much. I assume its going to be delayed?

They were very slow at completing their smaller road project here in Waterford, went way over schedule.

Sully wrote: »
    Was on the bypass over the weekend and last weekend. Looks like a lot of work to be done with surfacing still not completed in large sections. Its the end of September pretty much. I assume its going to be delayed?

They were very slow at completing their smaller road project here in Waterford, went way over schedule.

Resurfacing of the mainline is complete, it's only the sections between the overtaking lane and the concrete barrier that need finishing off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Resurfacing of the mainline is complete, it's only the sections between the overtaking lane and the concrete barrier that need finishing off.

Seems a fair bit left though, surely it wont be complete by the end of the month? They still seem to be doing a good bit of work beyond the Roscommon exit (I leave the bypass here so cant see beyond)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Work on dual carriageway junctions to begin before year end

by Karen Downey

Phase two of the upgrade of the dual carriageway, which involves installing traffic signals at three of the junctions, will begin at the end of October or the beginning of November and will take five to six months to complete.

The issue was raised at Monday's meeting of the Athlone Area Committee of Westmeath County Council, when Cllr Mark Cooney and Cllr Gabrielle McFadden asked for an update on the upgrade of the road.

The council said in relation to phase one of the project, the mainline pavement was completed last week and all junctions are now operating as normal. The completion of the safety barrier and pavement works to the median are ongoing and will continue for another four weeks. This will involve closures of sections of the fast lane and also closures of sections of the hard shoulder over the next month.

Full story at Westmeath Independent.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Full story at Westmeath Independent.

Just for the record.
    http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/01/26/4002893-relief-road-lane-closures-to-begin-on-monday/
    Work on the €7m revamp of the dual carriageway will begin in earnest on Monday and is scheduled to continue until late August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bastrds, I hope they get penalties for late delivery. Thats our money thats been spent

Good luck.
    Westmeath County Council has said the current upgrade project on the Athlone Relief Road is not scheduled to be completed until late October.

Major work on the project began in early February, and at that stage the council published updates on its website which stated that the project would take "approximately 7 months between the start of February and the end of August 2011."

This was used as a guideline by organisations including AA Roadwatch, which at the time of going to press yesterday (Tuesday) had a traffic update on its website stating that major works on the bypass would continue "until August."

However Michael Kelly, Project Engineer in the council's Regional Design Office, said this week that the use of late August as the completion date for the project was not correct. A more recent web update from the council said: "The works will be carried out by Wills Bros Ltd and will take approximately 10 months between the start of January and the end of October 2011."

"This was always a 40-week project," Mr Kelly told the Westmeath Independent.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/04/15/4004329-athlone-bypass-works-now-due-to-end-in-late-october

You know whats worse?

All these projects start with the rhetoric like "will be finished by October" (lets just assume that some cockup mentioned August - fair enough).

Its always just at the end of the project timeline that October becomes LATE October - i will wager any amount that this pushes into November. Post is time stamped so i will collect my winnings for the Bonfire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A big problem here is that once they finish the mainline N6, the other works will mostly inconvenience locals, so they will be allowed to drag on for a year.

Load of ****e, 5 months to install a few poxy traffic lights that no-one wants and im pretty sure it was start of october for the main works to be finished.

Im using the hard shoulder as another lane now, as the "fast lane" seems to be always closed westbound and will be closed for another month or two going by latest comments.

Unreal how dates keep moving, should have guessed with Willis Bros,
    Took them 6 months to put down some tar and footpaths out by elan, but i suppose building that round structure in the middle of the road took all their engineering skill to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JR1234

Load of ****e, 5 months to install a few poxy traffic lights that no-one wants and im pretty sure it was start of october for the main works to be finished.

Im using the hard shoulder as another lane now, as the "fast lane" seems to be always closed westbound and will be closed for another month or two going by latest comments.

Unreal how dates keep moving, should have guessed with Willis Bros,
    Took them 6 months to put down some tar and footpaths out by elan, but i suppose building that round structure in the middle of the road took all their engineering skill to do.
    Any word on who has gotten phase 2 of this resurfacing works?? Also in fairness I think they did a great job on the Tuam Road Project, sure they were finished at the end of March/ early April and did a tidy job! From what I hear the N6 project is to be completed in mid-october on schedule.......can't come soon enough!

in fairness I would have did a great job on the tuam road if I took as long as they did !! (that was supposed to be finished in October 2010 !!)

For the N6 project they are already a month behind as they started in February and should have been finished at end of August. But sure who cares..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bulling for Tar

JR1234 wrote: »
    Any word on who has gotten phase 2 of this resurfacing works?? Also in fairness I think they did a great job on the Tuam Road Project, sure they were finished at the end of March/ early April and did a tidy job! From what I hear the N6 project is to be completed in mid-october on schedule.......can't come soon enough!
    sure didnt the Ros Co Co start the Tuam Rd. an then left it in an awful mess. I think Wills came and saved the say haha. I seen on another thread that there is more Landscaping work to be done why didnt they do it all at once?? on a side note there is an awful danger at the on ramp to the N6 with that barrier there..why dont people merging carry on on the hard shoulder and not come to a complete stop!!!!...id say its hard to keep everyone happy its was a dificult job though Wills did a good as job as anyone..Who should have done the job instead??.. i was in salthill not long ago and coffey have the place choco block!

sure didnt the Ros Co Co start the Tuam Rd. an then left it in an awful mess. I think Wills came and saved the say haha. I seen on another thread that there is more Landscaping work to be done why didnt they do it all at once?? on a side note there is an awful danger at the on ramp to the N6 with that barrier there..why dont people merging carry on on the hard shoulder and not come to a complete stop!!!!...id say its hard to keep everyone happy its was a dificult job though Wills did a good as job as anyone..Who should have done the job instead??.. i was in salthill not long ago and coffey have the place choco block!
    Yeah sure they Wills only started the Tuam Road in January 2011. Yeah the merging of traffic is a big problem on the N6 while these works are on going. I think the next phase is going to have a greater effect of the locals more than the commuters effected now! Wills aren't a bad company and have been involved in a lot of high profile projects.....nearly always seem to deliver (M6, M50, M18, M3 etc.....) I seen there today the median works are progressing well in the last week and the concrete barrier doesn't seem too far off completion although there looks to be a lot of median paving left to do!

Call me synical but when a new poster starts saying a company is briallant and always delivers on time, i wonder are they related to that company ?? :rolleyes:

Call me synical but when a new poster starts saying a company is briallant and always delivers on time, i wonder are they related to that company ?? :rolleyes:

Completely agree. A tidy job on that Tuam road was the minimum expected, as was doing the thing on time.

I dont get any reward/extra praise for doing whats expected of me. I do get ballacked for not meeting expectations though. Same should be true of this new posters dad/friend/sister who works in that company. So sick of this corrupt self-congratulatory sh1te for poor performance the country over.

Anyway the tuam job wasnt finished.
    Curbs we left on the old tuam road and no footpaths were poured.
    And there was big pile of rubble left for ages at the new cul-de-sac.
    im pretty sure their is supposed to be pedistrian lights installed as well but no sign of them.

Ros Co Co are now making footpaths near their depo at the moment.

But on the positive side of things, Athlone got its FIRST bus shelter this week at B&Q, no sign of other ones on the horizon.
    Great thinking expecting people to wait for bus in ireland at a signpost, sure it hardly rains theres no need to build a bus shelter :D

Aaahh lads very scynical! I wish i had work.....im in my final year in AIT and will graduate with a construction degree which in a few months will force me from the country in search of work. I think ye are over reacting, all im doing is givin my 2 cents on the stuff ye're saying (whole point of the thread/site).

• Advertisement

Well thats fair enough, everyone is allowed an option ( once its the right one :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Well thats fair enough, everyone is allowed an option ( once its the right one :D )

Down with that sort of thing

Careful now....

Crash underneath J11 Coosan, second one I've seen in a few weeks. People going straight across the junction to cut the queue on the DC cathing people out I'd say.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Crash underneath J11 Coosan, second one I've seen in a few weeks. People going straight across the junction to cut the queue on the DC cathing people out I'd say.
    They should have the lanes open on Friday afternoons if they had any sense. Probably another month left of work on bypass before they start on junctions. The proposed layout would have stopped that accident but then again no reason for accident to happen if two lanes were open as it's not like they are working on the whole lane they have closed off.
    Just hope Willis bros don't get contract for junctions as all of them closed for the duration,.

Most of the eastbound carriageway is down to one lane now, delays in the mornings again.
    8 months and still no section completed yet

i noticed that there was some white lining done on the westbound carriageway near the Roscommon junction, just needs the cats eyes and that's finished.

It looks like there's only one small group of contractors working on the project now, that could be the main reason for the slow progress.

No sign of street lights though, would have made an improvement in safety for road users at night as the urban lights cause a distraction and diminish night vision.

Most of the westbound is done alright besides the outer wihite line and cats eyes, you would think they would have a few people doing that, it wouldnt take too much time,
    Its like they have giving up on the bypass and moved off to another project and just left a few people to finish it off for another month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Its like they have giving up on the bypass and moved off to another project and just left a few people to finish it off for another month or two

Or maybe they don't have another project to go to, so they've laid everyone off and are finishing with a skeleton crew?

they mustnt be any delay clauses in the contract they signed then if there are just pottering along and finishing off the project at their own pace.

• Advertisement

Desperate delays this morning J13-J11 Eastbound.

Willis - what a bunch of willies

Advertisement