Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They took just as long completing a stretch of road down here while the Bypass works were taking place up with ye.

Looks like they're making the final push today, lots of activity on different sections, in many places the finishing touches are being done.

Driving back this evening some bits now appear complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Looks like they're making the final push today, lots of activity on different sections, in many places the finishing touches are being done.

Driving back this evening some bits now appear complete!
    Nah .some incomplete parts of median near bridge. They will drag another month out of a few days work. I have started to the the hard shoulder in the morning now skip part loads of traffic.
    The cowboy builder is alive and well !

If you mean the main Shannon bridge, I think the plan there is to use steel Armco to "bridge" the gap, the guys who will do that are just finishing off west of Elan (or whatever it's called now).

If you mean the main Shannon bridge, I think the plan there is to use steel Armco to "bridge" the gap, the guys who will do that are just finishing off west of Elan (or whatever it's called now).
    God only knows what they will use to fill that gap. Probably some special armco that will have weeks to be delivered and installed.
    It would make too much sense to use those guys up at alkermes to do that job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just back from Roscommon. They were doing work on the road tonight at about 10 anyway, not as many but a few

Sully wrote: »
    Just back from Roscommon. They were doing work on the road tonight at about 10 anyway, not as many but a few
    Too little too late
    . Just thinking could I write I letter of objection to wcc about Willis brothers getting the next phase of bypass? I'm not sure how far along tendering process is at this stage

billbond4 wrote: »
    Too little too late
    . Just thinking could I write I letter of objection to wcc about Willis brothers getting the next phase of bypass? I'm not sure how far along tendering process is at this stage
    They are working on the bypass again tonight for some reason. Think there drilling drain holes in median

Driving west into Athlone earlier, the VMS had "until 15 October" displayed, so we have an end date! :D

Apart from a few cats eyes, westbound appears complete, there is still the gaps in the barriers either side of the Roscommon bridge to be finished as well.

Thank god. Was up again yesterday and they were doing more "clean up" work during the day with drains and stuff. Still working at it on my way home.

• Advertisement

Thank god. Was up again yesterday and they were doing more "clean up" work during the day with drains and stuff. Still working at it on my way home.
    Another week to paint some hatching, drill some holes and fill in the gap on the bridge, a two day job they are making into 5,they are cowboys

I think they have started the gap on the bridge, I saw one of those metal structures with (I assume) concrete within waiting to settle? I think they have a small job on just outside Durrow. Saw one lad walking around there with their jacket on. Seems to be a small enough job tho.

Project should be finished tomorrow going by this olde post
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/roadstransport/roadspeedlimits/name,8614,en.html

That's just for the speed restrictions, any overrunning works will have to be done with a legal speed of 100kmh in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone know what the gap in the barrier west bound after Junction 11 is for? Looks to me like they are planning a Garda mount.

it looks like one alright, I must get onto them about the new slip road :-)

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone know what the gap in the barrier west bound after Junction 11 is for? Looks to me like they are planning a Garda mount.
    I think it's for access to the embankment ditches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ah....FINALLY! :rolleyes:

Ah....FINALLY! :rolleyes:
    I would another week of unnecessary works before they start on unnecessary traffic lights at junctions

I would another week of unnecessary works before they start on unnecessary traffic lights at junctions

I wanted mini-roundabouts, but it ain't going to happen! :mad:

• Advertisement

I wanted mini-roundabouts, but it ain't going to happen! :mad:
    I didn't want anything, except maybe radar controlled lights at westbound exit at j9. Nice to see the councils still wasting money,good to see some things haven't changed

Still coneage along the bypass, even the pointless lane closure between J12 & 11 eastbound still in place.

It appears that some of the Armco by the bridge needs replacing, but that didn't need the lane being closed for several days while nothing was done! :mad:

At this stage there really can't be much more work to be done, apart from repairing a couple of damaged signs and refitting the 100km/h speed limit signs.

I would say they will drag it out until end of the month, doing a few bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Any update on this, are the cones still out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

antoobrien wrote: »
    Any update on this, are the cones still out?

No cones J13-10. I'm not sure about J10-8 as I haven't been down that in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Nothing from J10-J8 either.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Nothing from J10-J8 either.
    All lanes seen back open but they are still doing the odd bit of fencing work here and there but its not effecting traffic.

Yes, just a few bits and pieces to do now,the 100kmh signs are not back up yet and some of the obsolete signs are still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes, just a few bits and pieces go-slow to waste public money to do now,the 100kmh signs are not back up yet and some of the obsolete signs are still up.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Drove on this on Thursday/Friday (had to go to Galway to vote), on way back they seemed to be removing cones on a section. The new surface is a major improvement that's for sure.

Advertisement