Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

The road itself is now complete, but there still needs to be some signage to be replaced/updated. I wonder how long that will take!

Next up.... Junctions, Traffic lights, Action! :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah looked okay from Athlone to Roscommon anyway, no cones. Couple of signs need a bit of work that I saw. One thing that I found weird is that they never tried making the junctions better - the Roscommon one, for example, is a big sharp bend into the T junction there.

Sully wrote: »
    Yeah looked okay from Athlone to Roscommon anyway, no cones. Couple of signs need a bit of work that I saw. One thing that I found weird is that they never tried making the junctions better - the Roscommon one, for example, is a big sharp bend into the T junction there.
    Yes, a missed opportunity indeed!

billbond4 wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with the Bypass upgrade, it's the Athlone - Ballinasloe road! I wonder what went wrong, it's far too soon for routine maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kiwster

Sully wrote: »

I love flying around that "big sharp bend". It would be nice if the took the T junction out at the end though :)

kiwster wrote: »
    I love flying around that "big sharp bend". It would be nice if the took the T junction out at the end though :)
    They will, it will be replaced by lights over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭billbond4

That's nothing to do with the Bypass upgrade, it's the Athlone - Ballinasloe road! I wonder what went wrong, it's far too soon for routine maintenance.

I know it isnt but it will effect all westbound users of the bypass, they are going to be "reshaping a section of the westbound carriageway"
    ---> A letter of objection will be on its way to Roscommon Co Co. soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

"reshaping a section of the westbound carriageway"

There are a couple of places where the surface water doesn't drain well in heavy rain.

Reason for Closure: To facilitate Pavement improvement Works.
    What do they mean by that? :confused:
    Has anyone using that section noticed any "yumps" or dips on the route recently?
    Could be remedial work due to settlement or similar.

• Advertisement

The road seemed fined the last time i drove but to close the road for 3 weeks is a pure waste of time and Money.
    So the letter of objection will be going in, as all the westbound traffic will be taking j13 ( the exit i normally take)

They should re-tar a section of a more deserving road.

Awh I just copped, its the end of the year and the Co Co's have to use there budgets up or else they wont get the same amount next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats a disgrace, at least contraflow it for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The road seemed fined the last time i drove but to close the road for 3 weeks is a pure waste of time and Money.
    So the letter of objection will be going in, as all the westbound traffic will be taking j13 ( the exit i normally take)

They should re-tar a section of a more deserving road.

Awh I just copped, its the end of the year and the Co Co's have to use there budgets up or else they wont get the same amount next year

If theyve money to burn, why not build a Junction for Ballydangan or something. Or extend existing footpaths further out Tuam road to Bealnamulla seeing as the most populated area in the county lives in the surrounding area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There have been loads of complaints about flooding since it opened. I think the NRA had only recently agreed to look into it though, not remedy it.

The 'upgrade' of the Roscommon Road exit has been taken out of the works for some reason. Exits 9, 10, and 11 are being done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did Wills brothers get paid in full for the Athlone-Ballinasloe job or was there a retention payment to collect in 2011.?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,053 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This, is this not what those yellow sections of barrier are exactly for?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as the road is a single pavement with armco *with removable sections* as the barrier its insane that they're not doing a contraflow.

Yeah im going to suggest a contra flow between J13 and J14 ,instead of diverting traffic onto the old N6

Sometimes when they apply for road closure licenses, they allow a lot of extra time.
    But the closure could be as short as a couple of weekends or overnight only and use the carriageway during the day,

I have had enough of road closures on the bypass this year,so thats why i will be objecting to the m6 traffic measures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Paper today says the remedial works should take 6 working days - two areas where water isn't draining properly.

The junction upgrades are likely to start in the new year.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Paper today says the remedial works should take 6 working days - two areas where water isn't draining properly.

The junction upgrades are likely to start in the new year.
    Aaroadwatch says that their is lane closures today from 8am to 6pm westbound after j13

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Aaroadwatch says that their is lane closures today from 8am to 6pm westbound after j13

They were closing the overtaking lane just after J13 heading West when I passed at 09:30 this morning.

Hopefully closing the lane be enough to factilite the roadworks instead of closing the carriageway completely

Yeah approximately 150m of the carriageway needs to be "reshaped" to provide additional drainage.
    Hopefully should take 6 days to do but could take up to three weeks if weather is bad.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-injured-in-motorway-accident-529619.html

A man in his 50s has been taken to Ballinasloe hospital after being struck by a vehicle on the M6 motorway this morning.

The incident happened on the eastbound lane of the motorway between Junction 14 Ballinsloe East and Junction 13 Athlone West.

The road was closed for a time but has since re-opened.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-injured-in-motorway-accident-529619.html#ixzz1edEQbzBR

--> Must have been out walking on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

People just don't realise how dangerous it is to stop or walk on a motorway!

I just realised why they are pushing through with the traffic lights at the slip roads, its for the chinatown out in creggan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Chinatown???? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Chinatown???? :confused:
    A developers wet dream that recently got planning permission!
    Has little chance of ever being built.

Advertisement