Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft ending support for XP

• 01-04-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

microsoft are going to be ending support for the original XP editions, but not the service packs released.
    would anyone still be using the original editions? don't you need genuine XP to upgrade?

(doesn't affect me - i've got windows 7 :P)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP is very old.

So if you have old hardware it's more suitable, especially if you have a netbook with SSD drive.

There is a lot to be said for "if it's ain't broke, don't fix it" as long as you get the security patches.

A lot of people just use Google docs / Browsing and don't need anything fancy.

Don't forget that if you upgrade OEM windows on old machine near the end of it's life, the new Windows 7 license will die with the old machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Doesn't that table say until 2014 (albeit 'extended' support)? Mainstream support for SP3 does indeed end on April 21st, 2010. Hmm, that's the day I fly back home to Ireland for my bro's wedding. Hopefully ATC aren't running XP (I'm joking... ... :P ).

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I would be using Windows XP before SP1 if I could. Sadly my laptops hardware needs at least SP2 so Im running SP3.

I love it. I prefer it to Windows 7 for my line of work though Windows 7 is very good. I have it on my netbook, tis quicker then XP ever so slightly which is impressive considering the aesthetics of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

bbk wrote: »
    I would be using Windows XP before SP1 if I could. Sadly my laptops hardware needs at least SP2 so Im running SP3.

I love it. I prefer it to Windows 7 for my line of work though Windows 7 is very good. I have it on my netbook, tis quicker then XP ever so slightly which is impressive considering the aesthetics of it.
    That could be due to the machines running Windows 7 requiring a 64-bit data bus. XP machines only requir a 32-bit data bus. In reality, I imagine that Windows 7 uses substantially more memory and processing power.

I love XP though. It's been the best Windows OS I have ever used, and I've used them all. I never upgraded to service pack III, but instead just downloaded all of the security updates individually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I wonder whats the story with registering XP.
    I fix machines for friends and sometimes they need to re-install XP and get it validated again.
    (You can do this after a three month period gap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can't fault xp
    i still use it on my home machines and have 7 in work
    i will probably put 7 on my next build but theres nothing that grabs me to want install 7

Advertisement