Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Revision

Options
  • 01-04-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

How do you guys study for business? Do yee use the textbook/make notes or use one of those revision books? Also,could yee suggest a good revision book for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

coaster93 wrote: »
    How do you guys study for business? Do yee use the textbook/make notes or use one of those revision books? Also,could yee suggest a good revision book for me?
    I generally just read the text books and then do the exam questions accompanying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd generally just read the book, make bullet points of key words and test myself to see if I know them. Then once i've covered a certain amount i'd try the exam questions and then check if i had the right answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

What i did last year was got an A4 hard back...Did every single past paper long question, using the book for the answers, gave them to my teacher to correct, who heavily (but constructively) criticized them, then when i got them back, i studied the answers.

I did around 2/3 questions every 3 days.

Any advice for the exam i could give is :

Define whats being asked in the question.
    (Lets say the question is about the Unfair Dismissals Act, and its "Explain 4 grounds for unfair dismissal).

Even if the question doesnt directly ask for a definition,which this one doesnt, still give the defintion of the Unfair Dismissals act.

Name and explain the 4 grounds.
    Name a reason and explain it fully.Myteacher always said "obviously the examiner knows all this stuff, but you need to show that YOU know it, so treat him/her like hes/shes stupid".

Give examples.
    Give an example for each point.
    They dont have to be real life examples, make them up. Like 'if a member of staff was dismissed for -insert made up scenario- this would be unfair dismissal.

We were give the mock marking sheet when we got our tests back and the marking was structured like this, looking for these.

Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 coaster93

neil_18_ wrote: »
    What i did last year was got an A4 hard back...Did every single past paper long question, using the book for the answers, gave them to my teacher to correct, who heavily (but constructively) criticized them, then when i got them back, i studied the answers.

I did around 2/3 questions every 3 days.

Any advice for the exam i could give is :

Define whats being asked in the question.
    (Lets say the question is about the Unfair Dismissals Act, and its "Explain 4 grounds for unfair dismissal).

Even if the question doesnt directly ask for a definition,which this one doesnt, still give the defintion of the Unfair Dismissals act.

Name and explain the 4 grounds.
    Name a reason and explain it fully.Myteacher always said "obviously the examiner knows all this stuff, but you need to show that YOU know it, so treat him/her like hes/shes stupid".

Give examples.
    Give an example for each point.
    They dont have to be real life examples, make them up. Like 'if a member of staff was dismissed for -insert made up scenario- this would be unfair dismissal.

We were give the mock marking sheet when we got our tests back and the marking was structured like this, looking for these.

Good luck :D

Thanks! what did you get in business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Hi I did my leaving in 2009 and got a B1 in honours (1% off an A2 ****in examiners haha) what I used to do was just read ( I read it a couple of times before my LC exams) and learn my text book I also wrote out all the definitions into a copy so i could learn them off easier I found this helped a lot for the short questions, as well as doing the homework we go got and studying for tests and focusing on the ABQ, I found this way was the best for me anyway .Id also stay away from revision books, I found them to be no help at all, but it could be different for you.. best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

coaster93 wrote: »
    Thanks! what did you get in business?

B1 in honours
    Hi I did my leaving in 2009 and got a B1 in honours (1% off an A2 ****in examiners haha) what I used to do was just read ( I read it a couple of times before my LC exams) and learn my text book I also wrote out all the definitions into a copy so i could learn them off easier I found this helped a lot for the short questions, as well as doing the homework we go got and studying for tests and focusing on the ABQ, I found this way was the best for me anyway .Id also stay away from revision books, I found them to be no help at all, but it could be different for you.. best of luck!

Funny enough, Less Stress saved me tbh. But suppose, my textbook wasnt that great for a few things. Depends really.

Just did my first multi quote:D

Advertisement