Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milanos opening soon

• 01-04-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to their other restaurants? Good food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

been there a few times and liked it, basically pizza pasta and salads

menu here
    http://www.milano.ie/pdfs/files/PEX_216_MainMenu_MILANO_LR_2010022-215540.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Where is it opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

http://www.clareherald.com/local-news/regional/722-may-opening-for-new-ennis-restaurant.html

The new 100-seater Milano restaurant in Ennis is scheduled to open in May, the company has confirmed.

Milano, which recently announced plans to open the new restaurant on O’Connell Street, Ennis, has also confirmed the appointment of Morag Kelly as the restaurant’s General Manager.

Ms. Kelly began her restaurant career as a waitress in Milano in Galway in 2001. With a passion for the food and service industry she slowly worked her way up to Assistant Manager and then Manager in Milano, Galway.

She has had the experience of a wide selection of foods from all over the world from her time spent travelling, only to come back and re-join her Milano team by helping set up the Killarney restaurant in 2008. She is now acting Assistant Manager in Milano Limerick and is currently preparing to establish Milano Ennis with the help of her 25 member team.

Milano already has restaurants located in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Killarney and Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ya it's really good.

Good news for Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Too expensive !

Current economic climate cannot support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

its opening where Sasha used to be. that menu is a bit expensive alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Too expensive !

agree kind of...
    myself and the missus went to the one in Kilarney about a month ago, service was great, lovely place, and the pizza was excellent, they are gourmet pizza's unlike the muck pumped out by the likes of dominos, all fresh ingredients etc, the pizzas are cooked in an open kitchen which can be viewed by you, its was pricey tho, we had 2 pizza's a small kiddie dinner for the small fella, glass of vino and a beer, and deserts with a tenner tip it came to 70 which is a bit much for what it was

Now if you can get take away gourmet pizza for E15, that would be awesome !

eta just looked at the menu, i got the Calabrese, if ya like a bit of hot'n'spicy 10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

I have eaten in 4 of them and think the standard is very good. It is slightly expensive but you get what you pay for in service and quality. I think it will fill a market in the current times not necessarily for people upgrading from a cheaper pizza meal but downgrading from a more expensive night out.

Anything that adds diversity to the eating choice in Ennis is to be welcomed, especially at the mid to higher end of the market - the mid to lower is already well served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

Keep an eye on their website - they do offers regularly. The offer for the end of March was starter, main course and glass of wine for €15. The 2 weeks before that was 2 main courses for €15. All of these offers are Sunday to Thursday! None at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Milano is ok, never been madly keen on their pizza. I'll still be sticking with The Sicilian for my pizza fix, I think.

• Advertisement

Milano is ok, never been madly keen on their pizza. I'll still be sticking with The Sicilian for my pizza fix, I think.
    is the Sicilian still run by middle eastern folks ?

BOBBY wrote: »

No idea where they're from. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It is. Then again across the street 'The Alamo Steakhouse' is owned and operated by Chinese. Go figure.

Too expensive !

I'd say their prices are normal. That being said its basically a fancy pizza place - and there are how many pizza places now in Ennis?

For years ago I used to complain about how there were only two pizza places, and both were mediocre and over priced.

Today we have seven or so in town and they are opening more.

I do like the selection and the fact the competition keeps down the prices at many, but it boggles the mind that no one is opening anything original here, food wise.

CptSternn wrote: »
    It is. Then again across the street 'The Alamo Steakhouse' is owned and operated by Chinese. Go figure.
    thats right, and thats the reason the menu is sh1te there, ffs you cant get a proper fillet anywhere bar s52 and the old ground, and you pay for it in those places, steak house should have large fillets, all you get in that place is a feckin 8oz, my 2 year old would eat that,
    disgrace and doomed for failure like the rest of them

thats right, and thats the reason the menu is sh1te there

Sounds like the Thai place right up the road. Don't get me wrong, Thai Palace is not bad to eat at, however, 95% of whats on the menu is CHINESE and not Thai food. They have maybe one or two Thai dishes, the rest are all Chinese, and available on all the Chinese menus on the other seven or eight Chinese restaurants in town.

I just wish they had real Thai food, proper Thai dishes. I mean, where is the tom kha gai? Moo ping? I mean, they have no traditional Thai dishes like gyow grob, and one of my favourites gai pad gra pow. They also have no proper Thai style fresh spring rolls, which normally are served raw, not fried, with shrimp and mint inside special rice paper.

Again, not a bad place to grab dinner, BUT, it is just a Chinese place with two Thai dishes on the menu.

Thats what your comment about the Alamo reminded me of. A steak house that has everything, except a good selection of steak. Then again, we have that new chicken place in town that serves burgers, fish, and a large selection of things that are not chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I used to go for dinner in Milanos in Cork all the time because it seemed cheaper than a typical restaurant. Things have changed radically in the last couple of years of course. Now there are a ton of places doing main courses less than 15 euros. They tend to do a lot of two for one offer vouches in the Sunday newspapers so that's well worth keeping an eye out for. The decor tends to be pretty slick as well. It's not like they're reallly comparable with the existing fast food style pizza places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 finbarryan

Got A coupon in the door today for The Hot Stop in Lifford today, 2 Pizzas & 2 Cans of Coke for €10, went down there and it did exactly what it said, no strings attached, good pizza too, seem to be constantly doing promotions, got a free cheescake too. haven't eaten yet though, will let ye know how it goes down though! Currently Unemployed so i welcome any good deals to this town!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lord Ennis

I get my lunch there most days, Soup and a hot chicken roll for 5.99 they do good breakfast too, they always have promotions, good 4 d freebies too.;) nice bird working there today:P

Just finished the "Malteeser & Butterscotch" Cheescake:D:D:D:D Second to None. 5 stars *****:D:pac::pac::pac: well done Hot Stop

• Advertisement

I love how you're so subtle about your advertising. Well done.

Are we not allowed talk positive? i have nothing to with the hot stop, i like the food and the service so in this poor economy i just thought i would be positive about something good, enough people just log on to complain. Be happy man, tell us where u get good food???:)

finbarryan wrote: »
    Are we not allowed talk positive? i have nothing to with the hot stop, i like the food and the service so in this poor economy i just thought i would be positive about something good, enough people just log on to complain. Be happy man, tell us where u get good food???:)

See, when you make an account to plug a particular establishment it doesn't look great. Your posts would be marginally more appropriate if the thread were "what eateries would you recommend in Ennis?". But the thread is about Milano. So you're ending up sounding like a TV ad or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lets review Finbar Ryan's Boards history, shall we?

Post 1: 31/3/2010 - Good Food in Ennis thread. "Just ate a pizza in Hot Stop...." (Deleted as SPAM)

Post 2: 8/4/2010 - Deli/Takeaway Food in Limerick/Clare. "Hot Stop, very good selection..."

Post 3/4/6 - 8/4/2010 - This thread. Guess what establishment he is plugging? (Hint - its not Milanos, which is the TOPIC OF THIS THREAD)

You're as transparent as a sheet of glass, Finbar.

Don't post about it again please, or you'll be taking a break from the Clare forum for a month.

georgem25 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on their website - they do offers regularly. The offer for the end of March was starter, main course and glass of wine for €15. The 2 weeks before that was 2 main courses for €15. All of these offers are Sunday to Thursday! None at the moment

Website to keep an eye on is www.milanooffers.ie If there are no current offers it will revert back to the milano.ie site so it will be very obvious. I'm in Dublin but I have never eaten in Milano without one of the vouchers! Pizza express (which is the UK version of Milano) currently have an offer of any pizza for the price of a margherita so that will make its way over here in the next fortnight. Not the best deal they've had but better than paying full price :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Website to keep an eye on is www.milanooffers.ie If there are no current offers it will revert back to the milano.ie site so it will be very obvious. I'm in Dublin but I have never eaten in Milano without one of the vouchers! Pizza express (which is the UK version of Milano) currently have an offer of any pizza for the price of a margherita so that will make its way over here in the next fortnight. Not the best deal they've had but better than paying full price :)
    Welcome to the Clare forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I've been in Belfast last week and stumbled upon PizzaExpress, as Milano is called up North and in the UK. It was slightly cheaper than here but it was the best pizza/pasta place in this price range I've ever came across in Ireland.

I'm not really a pizza fan but give me pasta and salads any day. All the stuff was really delicious and fresh (the cannelloni are a treat!), the place stylish but laid-back, the service excellent, and for a great eating out experience the price was right, compared to other restaurants.

Considering that you have to pay in a pub or "traditional" restaurant around 12 to 14 Euro for chips, meat and overcooked vegetables or "side salat" consisting of coleslaw and half a tomato, Milano is really worth the money and affordable for the quality.

I'm looking forward to the opening in Ennis and hope that they keep the quality as high as experienced up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1_Tyreman

Hi Locals,

Interesting posting so far, never knew about Millanos offers or where to find them..... that post was worth its weight in dough (excuse the pun).
    I'm delighted they eventually got their planning permission through for the change of use. Notable names like that coming to town will help overall trade and give choice to tourists so everyone benefits....more money more jobs.

Never ate in one of their restaurants but I guess its like Brannigans used to be on Mill road for those of you in town long enough to remember that one.

What about Millanos location? would a site like the old Kielys Electrical shop not be better?

As for Pizza in town (without advertising but defo no connections to me) I like Henry's Pizza in the market. I sometimes bring my kids in there for a treat on a special occasion. Great value, personally like a thin base pizza with loads of toppings, oh and I don't know what he cooks his chips in but they are addictive. Definitely not a high end venue but I find it hard to beat the food or the value especially with kids to cater to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

1_Tyreman wrote: »

As for Pizza in town (without advertising but defo no connections to me) I like Henry's Pizza in the market. I sometimes bring my kids in there for a treat on a special occasion. Great value, personally like a thin base pizza with loads of toppings, oh and I don't know what he cooks his chips in but they are addictive. Definitely not a high end venue but I find it hard to beat the food or the value especially with kids to cater to.

I'm with you on that one, only ate in there once but the pizza was out of this world - just perfect.

Never eaten at Milanos myself but looking forward to trying out some of their stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

Anyone been in to the new one in Ennis yet ?

Advertisement