Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault Double Scrappage Extended.

• 01-04-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

You'll see the ads this weekend but the Renault double scrappage is back on until May 31st. As a Renault salesman this makes me very happy indeed :D It will also make all the people who called our dealership today to see if they could still get the mega offer very happy.

The one catch is that you have to order something that Renault can deliver in these months and not just pick a random car with a host of extras that might not show up for 12 weeks. Anyway its good news all round :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You'll see the ads this weekend but the Renault double scrappage is back on until May 31st. As a Renault salesman this makes me very happy indeed :D It will also make all the people who called our dealership today to see if they could still get the mega offer very happy.

The one catch is that you have to order something that Renault can deliver in these months and not just pick a random car with a host of extras that might not show up for 12 weeks. Anyway its good news all round :)

Cant say Im overly surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

The one catch is that you have to order

...a Renault

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Volvo have marginally increased their corporate support for Q2 over what it was in Q1. Not being pushed anywhere near as hard as Renault, but I'd say there is a deal to be had in your local (if there is one anywhere near you) Volvo dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

LOL
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869532

Anyhow, glad to hear it's being extended. Any changes to it? I'd be happy if they increased the discounts on the Laguna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

I don't get it. Surely if you order the car when the scheme is open that's enough? The punter has no control over how long it takes to get here.

Saab Ed, how long roughly would it take to deliver a Grand Scenic 1.5dCi Royale or Dynamique?

Thanks,
    /M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

As a very loyal Renault customer (six Renaults in the past 20 years), I wouldn't take another one even if was for free. The quality of renaults decreased markedly since the previous generation of Clio, megane, scenic, and lagunas were introduced.

My first megane bought in 96 gave me trouble free motoring for nine years and 130,000 miles. My current megane hatch has just 50,000km on it and the drivers electric window has failed twice, an ignition coil failed, a front suspension bushing failed and the car has more rattles and squeaks than a room full of baby toys (2005 model btw). My wifes grand scenic has electrical problems with lights coming on by themselves and draining the battery and it has even mire rattles than my car. My fathers megane saloon (2005) has had both front electric windows fail, engine faults and gearbox trouble. My mothers Clio (2006) has had central locking faults and electrical problems.

Renault didn't want to know when we sought to have these issues fixed even though they were widely reported faults with these models and the response of their customer service was basically f off. I was a Renault fanboy but I'd never touch another one and neither will my parents.

I'm genuinely surprised to hear that as Renault folk on here claim that from 2005 on there was no bother at all with them. Apparently the current crop are bulletproof though so if you traded up you should enjoy troublefree motoring with a 2010 car.

So the Renault dudes who kept quoting repeat delivery times of two weeks, two weeks, two weeks which turned into months will have to be up front about the cars real delivery time ? I know you aren't like that but some posters have mentioned frustrations from that sort of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Manuel wrote: »
    I don't get it. Surely if you order the car when the scheme is open that's enough? The punter has no control over how long it takes to get here.

Saab Ed, how long roughly would it take to deliver a Grand Scenic 1.5dCi Royale or Dynamique?

Thanks,
    /M.

No , it must be delivered within those months of April or May, so if the salesman cant see the car that the punter wants as free stock on their computer screen then they'll have to call Renault to make sure it will turn up on time.

Its a push by the manufacturer to turn the sales into registrations for these two months. Market share is all that counts as the 30 day March sales figures show : http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/stats/?y=2010&from=3&to=3&cat=1 ......Nissan seemed to have won the race for most sales with the Qashqai but infact these weren't sales at all but were infact hire cars registered at the end of the month to make it look like the Qashqai is flying.

Renault have said that we'll be able to deliver just about everything within the time scale they've given so unless its the strangest of strange request , I'd say anything ordered will turn up on time. Plus my guess is they'll extend it till the end of June anyway :) .....( Only guessing mind you, dont take that as fact ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jaysus Rover James, I'm convinced a Renault salesman wiped your eye at some stage, Saab Ed, know anything about that ?

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    Jaysus Rover James, I'm convinced a Renault salesman wiped your eye at some stage, Saab Ed, know anything about that ?

What did I do now Jup :confused:
    Saab Ed is a splendid chap in my estimations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not again lads, have mercy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Does that mean it is essentially limited to stock and cancelled orders? I was quoted 12 - 16 wks the other day for a Grand Megane TomTom.

Also, is the 'trade in discount' staying the same too - on some cars this was worth far more than the scrappage!

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised to hear that as Renault folk on here claim that from 2005 on there was no bother at all with them. Apparently the current crop are bulletproof though so if you traded up you should enjoy troublefree motoring with a 2010 car.

I used to defend renaults reputation to the death as my previous renaults were excellent cars but my current car is an almighty piece of junk, my fathers is as bad and my mother wants to get rid of her Clio asap.

Renaults built from 2005 onwards are awful cars, built cheaply and with poor reliability.

What's really p!sard me off though is renaults attitude to looking after their customers post sale. They refuse to admit that their cars from 2005 onwards have design faults and at best will do a quick fix to get you out of warranty and then they tell you to f off when the problem reoccurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Renaults built from 2005 onwards are awful cars, built cheaply and with poor reliability.

What's really p!sard me off though is renaults attitude to looking after their customers post sale. They refuse to admit that their cars from 2005 onwards have design faults and at best will do a quick fix to get you out of warranty and then they tell you to f off when the problem reoccurs.

In fairness its the cars post 2005 ( well 2006 really ) that are the strongest. New models introduced from 2001 -2004 were the problem i.e Lagunas, 2nd generation Megane and Scenic and Vel Satis. There isn't a single honest Renault person out there who would suggest otherwise but most of the Renault generalisations are based on this era of cars.

In 2005 there was a complete over haul about the way Renault do things and there has been a marked improvment in every car launched after this. The problem with the Megane of that era is that it still had some of the hang overs from the early 00's and not everything was sorted till it was replace in 2008.

Now I cant dismiss what you're saying , you've obviously had your problems and from what you're saying the dealer didnt exactly cover theselves in glory either. What I will say is from what I see day to day, the current range are very relaible. 06 Clios forward, new model Lagunas and even the current van range is very strong.

Like I posted previously, I had a megane from 1996 to 2005 and apart from routine servicing, absolutely NOTHING went wrong with that brilliant car. My mistake was changing it for the second generation megane hatch which I hate at this point. Perhaps the current model range are much improved but that's cold comfort to us eejits stuck with the previous model generation. Renault are aware of these problems which might explain the reluctance I experienced at several Renault dealerships when I wanted to trade this crap car in last year for the new model megane. Basically they didn't want to take it as a trade in despite it having a full service history, low milage, excellent condition etc. They know full well that they'd spend their profit margin fixing the design faults on this car.

Maybe you've been unlucky, maybe I've been lucky, but with all the warranty work required to our Megane has always been done without quibble in a very professional manner, and this on a UK car as as well. Renault have also extended the window reg warranty to 4 years, i don't see other makes doing similar with known problems, VW doorlock, BMW turbos, etc.

but with all the warranty work required to our Megane has always been done without quibble in a very professional manner, and this on a UK car as as well.

You make it sound like it was in more than once or twice for warranty work.

You make it sound like it was in more than once or twice for warranty work.

2006 facelift. 2 window regs, an AC pipe re-call, rear window element went (new screen) and strut top mount. Not great I agree, but Renault did whatever was needed without issue.

Only small things, I wouldn't hold the window regulator against any car to be honest, they seem to be made from cheese in many cases.

• Advertisement

Only small things, I wouldn't hold the window regulator against any car to be honest, they seem to be made from cheese in many cases.

Well I bloody would as it's a pain in the ass when you can't open the window and Renault want 460 euro to fix the same window that was supposedly "fixed" 11 months ago. Ba$tards

Well I bloody would as it's a pain in the ass when you can't open the window and Renault want 460 euro to fix the same window that was supposedly "fixed" 11 months ago. Ba$tards

True. I've been there (not a Renault though).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Coming off 4 Renaults I have to agree with Dave, they'd have to give it to me for free after the grief I had with mine, when one needs to get to work, have transport for kids and reliability when out and about then Renault failed me.

Aren't OEM parts not guaranteed for at least a year? The window reg issue is a well known design flaw and should be viewed as unfit for purpose, I understand the design was never modified either, they really should be replaced FOC for the life of the car.

Apparently the Laguna 11 was unfit for purpose :D

Aren't OEM parts not guaranteed for at least a year? The window reg issue is a well known design flaw and should be viewed as unfit for purpose, I understand the design was never modified either, they really should be replaced FOC for the life of the car.

That's how I see it as it's a very common fault on the megane and scenics of 2005 - 2006 era which unfortunately includes my car, my wifes, my dads and my mothers. Even with all this anecdotal evidence, Renault don't give a fcuk. Back on the original topic, the scrappage scheme, Renault should extend it to allow us poor unfortunates who bought their pitiful earlier offerings to scrap our crap cars and get big discounts off the next car. I won't hold my breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Normally I'd agree however when it comes to the Window Regulator I feel it's something that should be essential in a car.

I have a 1999 Lancer and the Regulator lasted 10 years before popping. I gladly paid the 180 to have it replaced and it lasted again!

And I agree with Prosperous Dave - it's a nuisance when it goes..especially when the window's down and won't go back up!

Just as an aside Holts Rubber and Nylon lubricant applied to the window rubbers sparingly makes window regulators lives much easier. A tidy application lasts a few months, well worth doing if the car you have has potentially weak regulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In fairness its the cars post 2005 ( well 2006 really ) that are the strongest. ..........In 2005 there was a complete over haul about the way Renault do things and there has been a marked improvment in every car launched after this.

Hmm, I'm afraid I disagree. I've had Renaults, and normally row in to defend them, but I'm afraid you have the above 100% the wrong way around. Cars from 05 onwards are the ones to avoid.

The problem with the Megane of that era is that it still had some of the hang overs from the early 00's and not everything was sorted till it was replace in 2008.
    I personally think the facelift Scenic of 00-03 is in fact the best version. The newer ones are worse, slower.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just as an aside Holts Rubber and Nylon lubricant applied to the window rubbers sparingly makes window regulators lives much easier. A tidy application lasts a few months, well worth doing if the car you have has potentially weak regulators.

Would you pick that up at a regular motor factors? Had a look in Halfraud's yesterday but no sign. My windows are squeaking a bit and my car is French so a bit of preventative maintenance may be in order!

Would you pick that up at a regular motor factors? Had a look in Halfraud's yesterday but no sign. My windows are squeaking a bit and my car is French so a bit of preventative maintenance may be in order!

Yep, I can't remember where I got my little aerosol of it but my Dad bought a can recently in a local factors. I have a feeling that the like of Woodies and Atlantic homecare stock it too, it's on ebay as well. It's great stuff, won't attract dust or anything and it keeps the seals nice and supple too, you may notice a reduction in cabin noise as it will swell shrunken ones a bit too.

It comes in quite a small can
    http://www.holtsauto.com/products/group/repair-and-maintenance/maintenance#holts-rubber-and-nylon-lubricant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm afraid I disagree. I've had Renaults, and normally row in to defend them, but I'm afraid you have the above 100% the wrong way around. Cars from 05 onwards are the ones to avoid.

? You reckon the 01-05 Laguna II is the one to have over the fcelifted 05- one? tinternet disagrees . lifted straight from honestjohn (his caps, not mine :) ) "QUALITY VASTLY IMPROVED FROM 2005 FACELIFT AND LAGUNAS SINCE THEN HAVE HAD LITTLE TROUBLE"

Early Scenic II's and Megane II's were the ones with the issues.
    Obviously you could have an early built one sitting around and registered after 05 but going on build dates, 05 on are a step up.
    You sure your not getting your thinking backwards?

Advertisement