Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not booting

Options
  • 01-04-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions for the following...

I have a PC which won't boot up at all. When I switch it on, the case lights come on and all the fans spin up but the PC doesn't show the POST screen or give any error beeps. It automatically switches off after about 10 seconds and then restarts after about another 5 seconds. It just keeps doing this endlessly without any change.

I have tried disconnecting the HDs, RAM and Graphics card but these have no effect so it seems to be caused by either the motherboard or the powersupply. The motherboard is an MSI P45 Neo2-FR, Intel P45, ATX and the PSU is a Corsair 550VX. The case is an Antec 900 if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately I don't have another compatible motherboard or PSU to test with. Short of buying another motherboard or PSU, does anyone have any suggestions for finding out what might be causing this?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

-check your pc speaker is connected correctly for beeps
    -check there is not a second power connector on your mobo for the CPU.
    -try disconnecting the PSU from the mains power for a few minutes to discharge capicitors.
    -motherboard needs some ram to start, try removing 1 module, then the other... and so on.
    -if available try video card in another slot.
    -check your mobo's manual for a startup trouble shooters guide.

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

MOBO could be grounding on the case. Have you just built the computer of has it just randomly stopped working?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try taking it apart and seeing if it'll start as a testbench (i.e. CPU+mobo, one RAM stick, GPU if neccessary and PSU all outside the case) before testing it inside the case again.

And one more thing: In every build the first thing you should do before any power-on testing is reset the CMOS first! Do so before you try powering anything up again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Solitaire wrote: »
    Try taking it apart and seeing if it'll start as a testbench (i.e. CPU+mobo, one RAM stick, GPU if neccessary and PSU all outside the case) before testing it inside the case again.

And one more thing: In every build the first thing you should do before any power-on testing is reset the CMOS first! Do so before you try powering anything up again! :)
    reset the CMOS first! is the answer.

:)

Advertisement