Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighting Games - Online Irish Player List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Bloody everyone always picking Ken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I quite like that everyone picks Ken. I am quite used to playing him, and I think that gouken fairs very well against him (at least at the level I play)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

lol, my SF fighter genuinely is Ken, always has been, since SF2.

from SFa3 I liked Guy, so if I get back into things, I might use him instead. I don't want to end up using the "Law/Alisa" of SF, I was online on tekken, the last day, and I swear 70% of the people I played against was Law or Alisa

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Are you on XBL or PSN? If you're on XBL add me: GorySnake and I might play some Tekken. I havent played since release though, I used to be able to play a few characters well but now I just play Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Silver Steeez

Sup , yeah i just found streetfighter.ie so i thought id add my Gamertag to the list id usually be on ssf4 most days of the week when I'm not busy doind other things like playing Halo.

Gamertag -- "Silver Steeez" , boards.ie is the same thing.

And its xbl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Welcome to the scene.

I went online in SSF4 and there was no one around

hop onto IRC and see if anyones up for a game next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

yeah happening more often....
    Technical question. I just picked up the Wireless N Adapter for my 360 cos im no longer able to connect directly to my router (about 8 foot away) yet i cant get a decent connection. Im getting as far a 10 secs into a match and then it hangs and sometimes disconnects me entirely. I have 4 green bars and can do everything else fine. Im gettin a **** rep and no doubt being being avoided by most people, which is frustating enough but having also picked up a TE stick just makes it worse. Any advice guys?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

daltronica wrote: »
    Any advice guys?
    cheers

My advice? Get a longer wire. Wireless connections are really crap for online gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Add more players from the player list!! I probably would've been on

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Yreval wrote: »
    My advice? Get a longer wire. Wireless connections are really crap for online gaming.

Yeah i take your point but i can get a game of tekken 6 running fairly smoothly over this wireless, seems specific to SF4. im buggin out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

daltronica wrote: »
    Yeah i take your point but i can get a game of tekken 6 running fairly smoothly over this wireless, seems specific to SF4. im buggin out..

SF4 is a nightmare if there's any congestion at all on the network, many a fight for me has lagged out because the sisters was looking at funny cat videos ar whatever

dont get me started on "sisters" and "cat videos" and they're non stop complaining about "brothers" and "online games" :rolleyes:

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster, congrats on what you guys have accomplished getting the fighting games board set up. Some of you will know me from SRK, and i've played a few of you in HDR and some of you in SSFIV too.

I'm looking for some competition that's around my level in SSFIV, i have about 18 years street fighter playing behind me, since the arcade in the Dundrum Bowl (RIP) was open, mainly in Hyper fighting, Super Turbo, And Alpha 2&3. My main game is ST/HDR, i have a pretty serious dictator when i'm not rusty, but these days i'm looking to transition over to SSFIV, purely for the availability of competition, and am having a frustrating time of doing it because of lack of evenly matched players on my friends list and the crap skill matching system in ranked.

I'm still not fantastic in IV, it's a big change for me from ST. I'm a C+ looking for a B with Ryu (my main at the moment) and Deejay, and can hold my own with Ken, and Dictator, but i'd really appreciate a chance to add a few friends who i could learn some of the more SFIV specific skills from (focus stuff, cancel combos, etc) and just get more used to the whole style of the game and learn the matchups, because my play style is still rooted in the classic, no frills SF2 era, a lot of which doesn't work too well in IV. I don't mind losing, long as i learn something in the process.

XBL gamertag = Mackdaddi, add me and we can set up some games in endless, hope to play some of you soon. Go easy on me:D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Greetings fellow Dictator, never played you but I have heared your a pretty sharp ST/HDR player and seen a few of your posts over on shoryuken.

I'll add you to my friends list, we can try a few games.

My advice is to log on to our IRC channel #irishfightinggames

Most of the community hangs around in there.

If your not familar with IRC log on via our website here
    http://streetfighter.ie/?page_id=116
    Just put in a username and your set.

Welcome aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Your name seems familiar, I'll add you whenever I'm online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I miss the dundrum bowl. Spent some good times down there.

IRC is a good way to get some games : http://streetfighter.ie/?page_id=116
    Just be aware that a lot of crap will be talked and don't click any links from Kikimari.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Hello and welcome. I think I've played you a few times in HDR. I remember you having a sick Bison.

Azza wrote: »
    Greetings fellow Dictator....I'll add you to my friends list, we can try a few games.Welcome aboard.

Good games games last night azza, thanks for the schooling :D. You have an excellent Bison. Playing and chatting was really useful to get pointers, particularly what to do against him with shotos. I can already tell endless battle and voice chat is the way to go if you want to use XBL to improve in this game. Ranked isn't worth a sh**e...
    Yreval wrote: »
    Hello and welcome. I think I've played you a few times in HDR. I remember you having a sick Bison.

Yeah we've played before, i remember you. Thanks man. I'd like to get my Dictator up to the same standard in SSFIV, i've seen what he can do in the right hands, but i have a feeling it'll be a long slog. He's SO different in the 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Good games games last night azza, thanks for the schooling :D. You have an excellent Bison. Playing and chatting was really useful to get pointers, particularly what to do against him with shotos. I can already tell endless battle and voice chat is the way to go if you want to use XBL to improve in this game. Ranked isn't worth a sh**e...

Yeah we've played before, i remember you. Thanks man. I'd like to get my Dictator up to the same standard in SSFIV, i've seen what he can do in the right hands, but i have a feeling it'll be a long slog. He's SO different in the 2 games.

Hello and welcome, I am the resident Guile that all the Dictators hate. :)

If you really want to learn, you should try to get to casuals/ tournaments. You'll never learn as fast or as much online as in person.

At the moment there's three groups regularly meeting- one in Limerick, one in Dublin and one in Belfast- with rumours of a fourth lost tribe of Street Fighter in Derry. You'll run into people from all three sub- scenes here.

If there's no meet up near you, it might be an idea to see if you can get one going (there's always talk of Cork/ Galway ones starting.)

Hello and welcome, I am the resident Guile that all the Dictators hate. :)

If you really want to learn, you should try to get to casuals/ tournaments. You'll never learn as fast or as much online as in person

Agreed. I am definitely planning to get to some casuals and tourneys, it's one of the main reasons i'm switching to IV, because there's actually some community strength behind the game, but i'm pretty competitive and i know there's so much more i need to learn, so i plan to hone my craft anonymously for a while until i can at least compete on a decent level before making an appearance in the real world :D

There's nothing more demoralising than making the effort of going all the way to a tourney, only to get a beatdown in the first round and be sent home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There's nothing more demoralising than making the effort of going all the way to a tourney, only to get a beatdown in the first round and be sent home.

Come to a casual first, believe me, no matter how much you practice online it won't show you the real holes in your game like sitting next to a guy who simply out classes you and is willing to let you know why.

Secondly, try not to get disheartened, we all have crap tournaments and good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

If it makes it any better, there is always a group stage so you're guaranteed at least 3/4 games. Also, there will casuals going on during a tournament.

I'll add you for some games online.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Hello all,

Hey man, you probably remember me from the SRK HDR/ST Dictator threads. I don't think you're on my friends list anymore (mostly due to me losing interest in HDR , I only play ST casually on ggpo these days) but I'll add you later for some games.

I'd advise dropping ST completely for a while when you're adjusting to SFIV as I found it really awkward switching between the two constantly when sfiv first arrived, especially if you're playing the same character(s) in both.

At SVB I played a lot of ST and HDR and a few of the English guys mentioned you as a quality Irish HDR player, just so you know you're name is known beyond these shores:)

blag wrote: »
    Hey man, you probably remember me from the SRK HDR/ST Dictator threads. I don't think you're on my friends list anymore (mostly due to me losing interest in HDR , I only play ST casually on ggpo these days) but I'll add you later for some games.

Hey man i do indeed remember you. Another irish Bison player. What can i say, we've got good taste :D . Yeah, I clean out my friends list regularly too, the whole maximum 100 friends thing is a real pain for street fighter players. I'm looking forward to some games.
    I'd advise dropping ST completely for a while when you're adjusting to SFIV as I found it really awkward switching between the two constantly when sfiv first arrived, especially if you're playing the same character(s) in both

Yeah, that's what's killing me at the moment, and partly why i switched my main to ryu from dictator moving over to IV. I'm way better in ST/HDR, but for me the two are completely incompatible in my brain, and if i try to play them both i end up sucking at both of them, not because of the actual input command differences etc, but because of the tactics meta game and the major differences in strategies and all the stuff you need to adapt to on the fly in a match. I usually play by instinct, and i need to get my head into a game totally, so i've dropped HDR for SSFIV, and although it's a bit frustrating to feel like i've gone back to the drawing board i'm hoping to stick it out and it will pay off in the long run.
    At SVB I played a lot of ST and HDR and a few of the English guys mentioned you as a quality Irish HDR player, just so you know you're name is known beyond these shores:)

Thanks man, I used to play a lot of very good UK players, and some of the best East coast USA Guys a lot in ST on GGPO and HDR on the 360. Good to know i left an impression.

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster, congrats on what you guys have accomplished getting the fighting games board set up.

Finally he posts!

I've thought back a number of times on our conversation on SRK during discussions on irish players out there who don't get involved in the scene yet love the game. Glad to see you finally gave us a shot:

http://shoryuken.com/members/mackdaddi/irish-ken/

Sisko wrote: »
    Finally he posts!

I've thought back a number of times on our conversation on SRK during discussions on irish players out there who don't get involved in the scene yet love the game. Glad to see you finally gave us a shot:

Hey, the ken with the green Gi right? How's it going? Heheh, yeah i've been putting off joining boards.ie for long enough. I guess i just didn't need one more internet forum to take up my time, but i figured if i was going to switch to SFIV, why not get involved with a local community that i might actually get to meet people from this time, rather than just online play with across the pond. Besides, it looks like the IE street fighter community is stronger than it's been in years with the release of SSFIV and a place to call home online, so no better time than now, right? :D

Am planning to make it to some casuals and stuff in XGC in the coming months if time (and wife) permits. Looking forward to getting some matches in.

Add me for some games, and go easy on me, i'm new at this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I'm looking for some competition that's around my level in SSFIV, i have about 18 years street fighter playing behind me, since the arcade in the Dundrum Bowl (RIP) was open, mainly in Hyper fighting, Super Turbo, And Alpha 2&3.
    I was a big-time SF player in the Dundrum bowl lol!(from Ballinteer)

I used to get a big crowd when I'd finish the game with Vega!

I'd be happy to play you sometime.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster, congrats on what you guys have accomplished getting the fighting games board set up. Some of you will know me from SRK, and i've played a few of you in HDR and some of you in SSFIV too.

I'm looking for some competition that's around my level in SSFIV, i have about 18 years street fighter playing behind me, since the arcade in the Dundrum Bowl (RIP) was open, mainly in Hyper fighting, Super Turbo, And Alpha 2&3. My main game is ST/HDR, i have a pretty serious dictator when i'm not rusty, but these days i'm looking to transition over to SSFIV, purely for the availability of competition, and am having a frustrating time of doing it because of lack of evenly matched players on my friends list and the crap skill matching system in ranked.

I'm still not fantastic in IV, it's a big change for me from ST. I'm a C+ looking for a B with Ryu (my main at the moment) and Deejay, and can hold my own with Ken, and Dictator, but i'd really appreciate a chance to add a few friends who i could learn some of the more SFIV specific skills from (focus stuff, cancel combos, etc) and just get more used to the whole style of the game and learn the matchups, because my play style is still rooted in the classic, no frills SF2 era, a lot of which doesn't work too well in IV. I don't mind losing, long as i learn something in the process.

XBL gamertag = Mackdaddi, add me and we can set up some games in endless, hope to play some of you soon. Go easy on me:D

hey man. we played a few times.ill add you next time we meet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement