Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up using wrong tile adhesive

• 01-04-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

Hi first time posting here need some advice on how to proceed revamping bathroom at moment had put down marmox boards and shower tray with underfloor heating mat on top. These were put down with a flexible grey adhesive, joins and to wall tanked with mira safecoat. So far no problem next step not so. Wrongly assumed all the adhesive the tile shop had given me was flexible and yesterday brought in the two bags of white adhesive for my father in law to start laying the floor tiles. Was in a rush for work so didn't check the bags correctly only twigged it today when I went to change the grout in the tile shop. So the tiles were laid on the heating mat with Evo-Stik T88 white adhesive and all advice says underfloor heating should be layed with flexible adhesive.
    So my dilemma do I chance it will be ok or how long before tiles start popping up or cracking prob should say the tiles are 60*40 porcelain. Or do I bite the bullet and try and fix it now almost certainly will need a new heating mat hopefully only around €150 and another €150 of tiles and hoping I won't damage the marmox boards taking the tiles up only consolation mosaics are not laid on the showertray yet so at least that can't get damaged. Will delay the work probably by at least another week as it would at would be tue or wed before I got new mat delivered and I hate to put more work on my father in law.
    Thanks for any advice you can give guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its not flex it will crack and the tiles will come loose. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks Joey have read alot of your posts and respect your advice. Do you reckon its possible to take the tiles up with out damaging the marmox? The tiler working with my father in law seems to think it may be ok that he's tilled on wooden floors with non flexible with no problem. Would it probably be just the odd tile coming loose or would they all eventually come up?

Ryath wrote: »
    Thanks Joey have read alot of your posts and respect your advice. Do you reckon its possible to take the tiles up with out damaging the marmox? The tiler working with my father in law seems to think it may be ok that he's tilled on wooden floors with non flexible with no problem. Would it probably be just the odd tile coming loose or would they all eventually come up?

I dont know tbh. Honestly. I made my mistakes on smaller surfaces and have never done this yet.. Additionally I dont suppy or fit much underfloor and I use all flex adhesive just in case. Its a little more expensive but not worth the risk.

Where the tiles will come loose. I dont want you remembering me for the bad things but the tiles usually start to come loose at certain areas like door entry points around kitchen sinks and around the table. Any where there is loads of traffic(doors) and movement(tables and chairs)

You did it now whats the point in loosing sleep. You may get away with it but i very much doubt it. In fact in my professional opinion you will not.

But as a diyer....Meh.

Ryath... I sent you a PM....

Advertisement