Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Question

Options
  • 01-04-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

About me:
    I've owned a .22 rifle and have been a member of a gun club for a few years now and i am filling out the new firearms application form. I am an experienced target shooter and have recently been invited to shoot rabbits at the end of the summer on private property. I have a couple of questions:

In section 4.2 (Reason why this type of firearm is required), i normally tick 'Authorised Pistol/rifle club' - am i legally allowed to shoot vermin if tick this again?

Do i need to tick the 'Hunting' box in Section 4.2 in order to hunt vermin?

If i tick this box, do i then need to provide two land owners if i do this?

Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hi,

About me:
    I've owned a .22 rifle and have been a member of a gun club for a few years now and i am filling out the new firearms application form. I am an experienced target shooter and have recently been invited to shoot rabbits at the end of the summer on private property. I have a couple of questions:

In section 4.2 (Reason why this type of firearm is required), i normally tick 'Authorised Pistol/rifle club' - am i legally allowed to shoot vermin if tick this again?

Simon

just tick hunting and your gun club membership covers you.thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

About me:

Simple as this all could be,
    it is fair to say it is not in the least bit simple.

The unfortunate answer to this is,
    neither the people that drafted the application form,
    the DOJ or the Garda have a clue what information they need from a shooter that takes part in more than one type of shooting with a particular firearm.

Or if a person that applies for a licence for hunting then goes target shooting on an authorised range is in breach of their licence.

Or if a target shooter that applies for a licence for target shooting as a member of an Authorised Pistol/rifle club and then goes hunting with permission is in breach of their licence.

Added to this the fact that the new licence does not incorporate a licence to hunt game in the same way as the old format, it is a total disaster.

belt and braces yes tick it also.

Yes, belt and braces, cover yourself just in case.

Also if you don't already have insurance that covers shooting vermin/hunting,
    please get some before doing so.

countryside alliance include insurance with their membership.
    http://www.caireland.org/Support_Us/join_us/Republic_of_Ireland_-_Full_Membership/

Regards,
    Dvs.

just tick hunting and your gun club membership covers you.thats it

Not if it's a target shooting club instead of a district game club.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dvs wrote: »
    Simple as this all could be,
    it is fair to say it is not in the least bit simple.

The unfortunate answer to this is,
    neither the people that drafted the application form,
    the DOJ or the Garda have a clue what information they need from a shooter that takes part in more than one type of shooting with a particular firearm.

Or if a person that applies for a licence for hunting then goes target shooting on an authorised range is in breach of their licence.

Or if a target shooter that applies for a licence for target shooting as a member of an Authorised Pistol/rifle club and then goes hunting with permission is in breach of their licence.

Added to this the fact that the new licence does not incorporate a licence to hunt game in the same way as the old format, it is a total disaster.

belt and braces yes tick it also.

Yes, belt and braces, cover yourself just in case.

Also if you don't already have insurance that covers shooting vermin/hunting,
    please get some before doing so.

countryside alliance include insurance with their membership.
    http://www.caireland.org/Support_Us/join_us/Republic_of_Ireland_-_Full_Membership/

Regards,
    Dvs.

I ticked all, I put in a cover letter stating my rifles andshotgun were for hunting, and targets!
    My Pistol for Targets only.
    simple, Problem solved.

hence i can shoot Targets with my .308 and .223 and hunt with both.
    I can also break clays with my shotgun and hunt.

Tick all and you have all.
    a long time ago my mother dearest went to the motortaxation office, her dad said tick all the boxes.
    Now she has a licence for up to and including a Bus!
    She had to pass a medical @ 60 to retain and still has the licence.
    Moral, if you don't ask you will not recieve

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard, Simon.

The best advice i was given and it worked for me was to tick the box that most closely matched the primary use of the firearm. For me, like yourself, it was all target work. I did however use one or two of them for hunting. As you generally pick one i went for the "Authorised Range, Pistol/Rifle club", but was told that it does not limit me to only target work. I can use it for both, however my reason for requesting the license for the firearm was first and foremost target work.

Simon

I didn't and got all my licenses without issues. As the lads said above, if unsure tick all, but personally you may do a bit of hunting here and there but your primary use of the firearm is target work on a range so i'd go with that. If you decide to go this route then there is no need to tick the "hunting" box or supply land permissions etc. All you need is a copy of your range/club membership ID to accompany your application.

Do whatever feels right, but as mentioned before there seems to be no "right" or "wrong" answer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 simonmurphyeire

Firstly, thanks for the responses.

I remember when submitting the firearms application to the FAO previously, i said i wanted to hunt (as well as target shooting) and he said fine provide two land owners... (at the moment i can only get 1 permissions) Note: i am in a club.

So, if i get the license renewed on the basis of me being a member of a gun club does that mean i cannot hunt? i.e i did not tick the 'hunting' box because the FAO wanted two land owner addresses i could not provide?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........ i said i wanted to hunt (as well as target shooting) and he said fine provide two land owners... (at the moment i can only get 1 permissions) Note: i am in a club.

Recently i got a license for a .223 rifle for the purpose of vermin control on lands i shoot as a member of a gun club. I provided all the other details and where it asked for 2 land permissions, i inserted my gun club membership card (photocopy) and name of the club and that sufficed. Got the license no problems. This was only a month ago.
    So, if i get the license renewed on the basis of me being a member of a gun club does that mean i cannot hunt? i.e i did not tick the 'hunting' box because the FAO wanted two land owner addresses i could not provide?

No, you can hunt away. Just tick the hunting box (if you still have the application) and supply a copy of your gun club membership ID/badge and the name of the club. That is all thats required, as any lands owned/used by the club will be kept on record by the NARGC and can by verified by the same.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Not if it's a target shooting club instead of a district game club.

Dvs.

well as the OP states he s a member of a gun club, im presuming its not a target shooting club , the term gun club in Ireland is common phraseology for the local parochial based game shooting club:rolleyes:

well as the OP states he s a member of a gun club, im presuming its not a target shooting club , the term gun club in Ireland is common phraseology for the local parochial based game shooting club:rolleyes:

Notwithstanding your presumptions,
    :rolleyes:
    the OP states this:
    Hi,

About me:
    I've owned a .22 rifle and have been a member of a gun club for a few years now and i am filling out the new firearms application form. I am an experienced target shooter and have recently been invited to shoot rabbits at the end of the summer on private property.
    I have a couple of questions:

And the term "local gun club" or "the gun club"
    in Ireland is common phraseology for the local parochial based game shooting club .

:D

IF in fact the OP is only a member of a local gun club then target shooting as reason won't fly.

Dvs.

Notwithstanding your presumptions,
    :rolleyes:
    the OP states this:

And the term "local gun club" or "the gun club"
    in Ireland is common phraseology for the local parochial based game shooting club .

:D

IF in fact the OP is only a member of a local gun club then target shooting as reason won't fly.

Dvs.

This crap is too tiresome to contemplate:confused:

• Advertisement

This crap is too tiresome to contemplate:confused:

You posted using a :rolleyes: indicating sarcasm,
    I responded with the same and a grin,
    to indicate having a joke.

If you can't take it as that,
    there's not much more I can say.

Dvs.

Advertisement