Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with TurnItIn?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a first year at the moment and i'm after submitting an end of term paper without references on blackboard. I know turnitin scans and compares it and gives it a percentage but i'm just wondering, does anybody know what percentage it have to be at to be flagged?

Your help is deeply appreciated on the matter as this is frightening the bejesus out of me!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

You don't have to use Turnitit. It violates your ownership of your intellectual property. Next time tell your lecturer you aren't using it.

A report is generated for each item submitted to Turnitin, there is no "flagging" as such, the lecturer will look at the report. The report will indicate how much material appears to be copied and from which sources.

It is the lecturers interpretation of the figures which is the important part of the process. If they see that you have copied a little bit from a lot of sources they may be lenient. If they see you have copied huge chunks from few sources then you are in trouble.

Either way, not referencing is criminal. If you have written down something which someone else came up with first (assuming you knew they came up with it first) then you simply have to put the reference in. Simple as that. I realise that that is usually the last thing to cross your mind, especially with deadlines fast approaching, but you are just going to have to get used to it.

Goodluck

Advertisement