Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three years away - what's changed??

Options
  • 01-04-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Myself and herself will be spending this weekend in Cork. I lived and worked in Ballincollig for almost three years and she worked for a year in the city centre. We both really enjoyed our time there and are looking forward to going back and seeing the old sights.

But we've been away for three years. I'm wondering what's changed in that time? Has anything of interest closed down, restaurants, pubs, etc? Anything new popped up that would be worth a look?

Also need a recomendation for a nice restaurant in the city for Saturday night and somewhere good to watch the Man U v Chelsea match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Myself and herself will be spending this weekend in Cork. I lived and worked in Ballincollig for almost three years and she worked for a year in the city centre. We both really enjoyed our time there and are looking forward to going back and seeing the old sights.

But we've been away for three years. I'm wondering what's changed in that time? Has anything of interest closed down, restaurants, pubs, etc? Anything new popped up that would be worth a look?
    Quite a bit actually - the completion of the docklands development down past Connolly Hall. Looking really nice, if a bit flash.
    The completion of the disaster that is the Elysian.
    New shops on Academy Street (where the Examiner office was), a new street called Opera Lane (lame name) which was once just a super-narrow alley, now with a rake of new shops. A number of new shops around that area in general - and more to come. A new Dunnes on Patrick Street - ok, doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's really nice.

Changes in Ballincollig too: by the shopping centre a load of new houses and apartments and shops and other businesses just keep springing up, and lots of resurfacing going on - except on the main street, where it really needs it.
    Also need a recomendation for a nice restaurant in the city for Saturday night and somewhere good to watch the Man U v Chelsea match.
    I find the mid-priced restaurants in Cork to be the nicest - maybe they have the most to prove or something. I recommend Isaac's or Fenn's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Thanks Dudess. Looks like there has been plenty going on in Cork. Unlike Waterford where everything seems to be closing down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's strange all right Jonny. Cork's being hit the same as anywhere else by the recession, yet it doesn't appear that way. Scratch the surface though and it's a different story.

Oh yeah, there's a totally new Bodega now, if you used to drink there. As for what pub to recommend for the match: well I suppose it depends on what type of place you like to drink in. I'd personally go for Tom Barry's, which is a little bit out of town (Barrack Street) - it's kinda an "old man" looking place, with a fire and whatnot. And a really nice beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

welcome home guys.

hardwood kinda across the river from the gate cinema does a mean steak, the bierhaus is next door, great bar should probably show the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Les gourmandises is fantastic and they do 3 courses for 40euro. Best restaurant in cork in my opinion. Also i think i read on here that Reardens have the United Chelsea game in 3d on Sat as one of the Sky promos to market the new technology best to get there early though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Dudess wrote: »
    As for what pub to recommend for the match: well I suppose it depends on what type of place you like to drink in. I'd personally go for Tom Barry's, which is a little bit out of town (Barrack Street) - it's kinda an "old man" looking place, with a fire and whatnot. And a really nice beer garden.

I used to frequent Tom Barry's quite a bit. But it looks like we'll be visiting family in Glanmire just before the match so I might have to watch it somewhere out there.
    Les gourmandises is fantastic and they do 3 courses for 40euro. Best restaurant in cork in my opinion. Also i think i read on here that Reardens have the United Chelsea game in 3d on Sat as one of the Sky promos to market the new technology best to get there early though!

I would like to see it in 3D but again I probably won't make it in to Reardens in time. It would probably be packed too.

I had booked a weekend away in Cork staying in the Kingsley and a table at Les Gourmandises a few months back. Unfortunately that was the week of the flood so the hotel was underwater! Tried booking just there but they're closed for Good Friday. Will try and give them a ring tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Was walking down North Main St last night and noticed how many buildings had been torn down and how many places have been closed for bloody ages.

Advertisement