Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I need to ring Eircom's retentions dep to cancel my account?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 10:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

At around 6pm today I phoned up Eircom and -- after getting messed around for a while because the automated system could not understand me, even when I entered the info on the keypad -- was told the accounts department could not cancel my account. I'd have to ring somebody else and they would not be open until Tuesday because of the bank holiday.

I suspected I was being put on to their customer retention dep, what is known as their Winback team, so they could try and sell me on the idea of staying with Eircom etc. This was pretty much confirmed by @eircomconnect, who told me:
    "I believe the account department deal with the money side of things. You need to talk to retentions. You can call them on 01-7011538"

I rang Eircom again just before 7pm and asked straight away to speak to a supervisor, was told he was in a meeting and would ring me back, as I'd expected, I never got a call back.
    Can anybody let me know of what's the best way of cancelling my account in writing?

And why do I need to ring Eircom's retentions dep to cancel my account?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dotsyx

Short answer: because this is the department that deals with account cancellations. I understand your frustrations, but if you just play the game, ring that department, and insist they cancel your account, you'll have a lot less hassle than phoning supervisors etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

...because the billing department don't have the rights to cancel an account only the cancelations department can, standard enough really

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cabaal wrote: »
    ...because the billing department don't have the rights to cancel an account only the cancelations department can, standard enough really

That would be fine if it was just an actually cancellations department, but it's not. Even the eircom rep on twitter called it the retentions department.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Pretty much every ISP calls the cancellation dept "Retention" as it's thier last chance to try and keep the customer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

johnciall wrote: »
    Pretty much every ISP calls the cancellation dept "Retention" as it's thier last chance to try and keep the customer

And why exactly should consumers have to put up with sales pitches when all they want is to cancel their accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

johnciall wrote: »

And the reps get paid comission to retain customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Just hum tunes loudly in their ears until they cancel it.......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

monument wrote: »
    That would be fine if it was just an actually cancellations department, but it's not. Even the eircom rep on twitter called it the retentions department.

Its just a different name for the same type of department, its still a cancellations department

And why exactly should consumers have to put up with sales pitches when all they want is to cancel their accounts?

You don't have to,
    I want to cancel, no I won't be staying please cancel

If you don't entertain them you don't give them a chance to make their pitch, its not hard

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

You don't. Write them a firm letter stating that you are quitting them. That's it. Or if you're switching to another provider on the same phone line, just deal with the new provider and they'll sort it out for you. You may receive a begging letter from Eircom but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

Dotsyx wrote: »
    Short answer: because this is the department that deals with account cancellations. I understand your frustrations, but if you just play the game, ring that department, and insist they cancel your account, you'll have a lot less hassle than phoning supervisors etc.

+1 to that. I had a similar experience. When the Eircom rep starts the persuasion, just cut them off and state - "I am cancelling my account today so don't waste my time - so now let's get started" - state this repeatedly until they give up. Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Just tell whoever you are talking to that you are cancelling and let him notify whatever department he wants. Also mention the fact that you will be cancelling your direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

In any case you will probably have to notify them in writing. That might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet for some reason....

That is the department that deals with it, only they can put through the paper work needed to cancel. Even if you make a complaint it gets sent to the retentions people.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

In most cases retentions and cancellations are two seperate but very closely linked departments. Sometimes the person you are talking to is working in both but only wears the cancellation hat if the retention hat fails.

The process is something like this.
    1 Customer rings account dept to cancel.
    2. Account department pass you to retentions.
    3. Retentions attempt to sell you their unborn children so that you stay.
    4. You manage to survive retentions brainwashing attempts and your account is then marked for cancellation and the cancellation dept take over.

The job of retentions is to offer you whatever it takes to stop you leaving and usually consists of about five times as many workers as cancellations.

However, as soon as you begin talking to the retention rep, simply say that you are cancelling your account, you are not prepared to discuss the reasons and you are not interested in any deals or special offers they have, you simply want to cancel your account immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Joeyjoejo

Hey Monument,

get a fax number for the retention department and send in your cancellation request directly to them. At least then you will have proof with date & time of cancellation that you can provide at a later date should anything go wrong.

Also take names of everyone you speak to, just so you can go back to them.

It's bit of a pain in the ass, but it's just the quickest and most sure way of getting it cancelled.

Advertisement