Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick tunnel toll rip-off

Options
  • 01-04-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭

Motorbikes__________€0.90
    Cars_______________€1.80
    Buses______________€3.20
    Commercial <3.5t____€3.20
    >3.5t 2/3 axle_______€4.50
    >3.5t 4+ axle________€5.70

OK, Slane is full of lorries avoiding the toll on the M1 Drogheda bypass, so how many trucks will pay €5.70 to get across the Shannon?

Why do motorbikes have to pay 90c when they never needed the bypass as they can just buzz through traffic? How many will bother stopping, having to pull off their helmet and gloves to fish out 90c for this?

In other words, cars will use this, no one else will bother. Too expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

if it takes a load of cares outta the city its worth it. i wont be using it because i have no need to use it. simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your entitled to your opinion but as a car driver €1.80 is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

It'll really depend on the actual journey the trucks are doing, once all the connecting motorways are open I can see too many trucks meandering around the city to save €6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Berty wrote: »
    Your entitled to your opinion but as a car driver €1.80 is perfectly acceptable.

Justify this to me Berty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It allows you get across town in 6-7 minutes. Have an engineer friend working on it who drove from annacotty to the gaelic grounds via it in about 8-10 minutes. well worth it.
    PLUS even if you dont use it, many many people will, so traffic in the city will be reduced for you considerably, at no extra cost to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Can motorbikes use the new road? or is it just the mopeds/bikes under 50ccs that will be banned. Reasonable enough prices for the tolls I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I've posted elsewhere about this.

If it was €1 for cars then twice as many would use it.

Plus, all of the .90 and .80 prices are a con.......if you root around for change like that then it'll slow you up, so they're obviously hoping that people will chuck in a €2 coin.

I'll probably use it once out of curiosity, but I'm paying enough in road tax and petrol tax already, and I've no interest in adding €3.60 to the price of a round trip to Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cheaper that the Dublin Port tunnel @ €10 for a car, recently reduced from €12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Sure but its 18 euros per week extra if you are working in Shannon. That works out at over 800 per year (less four weeks holidays!). With the ridiculous MOTOR tax we are paying, there is no way I would be willing to pay that.
    zuroph wrote: »
    PLUS even if you dont use it, many many people will, so traffic in the city will be reduced for you considerably, at no extra cost to yourself.

Fingers crossed zuroph :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Cheaper that the Dublin Port tunnel @ €10 for a car, recently reduced from €12

It's not comparable. The toll is deliberately high on the port tunnel to keep cars out, whereas it's free for HGVs.

The Limerick tunnel should be free for commercial vehicles and motorbikes. €1.80 for cars isn't too bad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

If you're travelling to Ennis from Castleconnell, or Castletroy, then with the (hopefully) quieter roads, you can just get off at the dock road, which should be relatively quiet, out the condell road and rejoin the N18, IF it takes the amount of cars off the road that they're saying it will, doing that won't be too different (time wise) from taking the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i think the question to ask yourself is this

1/ would i spend 3.60 or close to it going the long way round - on petrol

2/ do i value my time enough to want to save some of it ?

say you save 20 - 30 mins a day -
    thats about two hours a week -
    100 hours a year
    - 4000 hours in a 40 year working life
    = 166 days or nearly 6 months of your life saved .

at a cost of 30000 euro over 40 years.

30000 euro for 6 months of your life - is it worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

There's no such thing as road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

It will come down to stuck in traffic and ease of passage, if you feel by paying the relevant toll that you will get to your destination quicker then I think the toll will be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think a big factor will be how much traffic gets off of the new system at the new roundabout on the Dock road.

If a sizeable amount is getting out there each day, then there will be large tailbacks on the slip road to that roundabout from the motorway and also on the Dock road, plus having the old Cement factory roundabout in such close proximity will slow the traffic flow further there.

Plus the changing of some of the other routes once the tunnel opens, will cause a build up of traffic in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

zuroph wrote: »
    It allows you get across town in 6-7 minutes. Have an engineer friend working on it who drove from annacotty to the gaelic grounds via it in about 8-10 minutes. well worth it.

sher when the tunnel opens you shouold if the planners are right still be able to make it from annacotty to the galic grounds in 8-10 mins without using the tunnel..

Sitting on the Condell Road in rush hour traffic, sitting on the dock road in traffic both ways is a chore and to pay €1.80 to avoid that is fantastic.

Simply put by the middle of 2011 I can drive from the Newport Roundabout onto a Motorway and get to Galway in around 75-80 minutes is perfect and worth the €1.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

pity it wasn't 1.50e as you could then have a bag of 50c coins and throw them in handy. 1.80 means a collection of different coins - more time wasting. Anyone know if the toll booths are manned or auto or a combination of both.

The plaza will have manned toll, toll bins and and Tag Scanners.

People, just get a toll tag. THEY ARE FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't do much business out that side so using the tunnel will be a rarety for me but if I am in a hurry (catch a flight, etc) then I will pay the €1.80, other than that I will continue to take the current route.

Either way the choice is there to use it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't do much business out that side so using the tunnel will be a rarety for me but if I am in a hurry (catch a flight, etc) then I will pay the €1.80, other than that I will continue to take the current route.

Either way the choice is there to use it or not.

Handy for the airport alright.. usually takes me 19-23 mins depending on hour of day dooradoyle-shannon... so seeing as though i live v near the bypass this side i should be there in 16-19!! yes! For the few times i go to shannon a year and since the airport will be either closing or getting suicide bombed soon due to the DAA/AL queda (:D) it does not make much of a difference if we even have a tunnel to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'd prefer to throw by €3.60 into the Shannon on either the outward or return journey than support this cynical effort to further incrementally tax the already ripped-off car-driving population which only benefits and serves to increase the fortunes of what are already super wealthy Business People.....

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

1.80 seems reasonable to me, if you dont want to use it you dont have to.

When is it due to open?

Raiser wrote: »
    I'd prefer to throw by €3.60 into the Shannon on either the outward or return journey than support this cynical effort to further incrementally tax the already ripped-off car-driving population which only benefits to increase the fortunes of the what are already super wealthy Business People.....
    no1s stopping ya! :pac:

I'd prefer to throw by €3.60 into the Shannon on either the outward or return journey than support this cynical effort to further incrementally tax the already ripped-off car-driving population which only benefits to increase the fortunes of the what are already super wealthy Business People.....

Its a privately built road. There is no Tax involved other than VAT. The contractor Direct Route will take the profit for 20 years THEN the government will get it just like the M50.

c_k_m wrote: »
    1.80 seems reasonable to me, if you dont want to use it you dont have to.

When is it due to open?

September apparently. They are ahead of schedule afaik the Nenagh Guardian is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its a privately built road. There is no Tax involved other than VAT. The contractor Direct Route will take the profit for 20 years THEN the government will get it just like the M50.

Are you sure?

- Had thought it was PPP.......

its finished, they're slowing it up due to a lack of follow on jobs. also, the annacotty to nenagh road is done but sinking. :p should have neneagh to birdhill open soon though.

Are you sure?

- Had thought it was PPP.......

PPP Yes but only in consultation. I worked for this company on the Fermoy Motorway Bypass and, rather like the M7, the contractor is responsible for everything only being responsible and reporting to the council and the NRA.

Lagan will then look after the Motorway for the forseable future until the Government get their greasy mits on it.

On Jobs.ie they are even hiring staff for the Tunnel to work in the control room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

PPP Yes but only in consultation. I worked for this company on the Fermoy Motorway Bypass and, rather like the M7, the contractor is responsible for everything only being responsible and reporting to the council and the NRA.

Can't imagine it being that simple ?

What about the planning & CPO stages ?
    And you're telling us that the state paid absolutely ZERO to date for the project ?

Advertisement