Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick tunnel toll rip-off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    Figured out today / easiest answer (whichever :rolleyes:).

My Ford Focus has a heated windscreen and this "can" cause issues with tag readers and GPS systems so I tested it by holding the tag out the window and boom the barrier lifted for me.

It still doesnt answer why it opens outside of the express lane through the windscreen.

Driving without due care and attention :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

Traveled the tunnel for the first time today crossing over to LIT. Its worth the money if I have an early 9am start. It took 10-15mins off my journey! Thats extra time to sleep in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cocomk1 wrote: »
    Traveled the tunnel for the first time today crossing over to LIT. Its worth the money if I have an early 9am start. It took 10-15mins off my journey! Thats extra time to sleep in :D

And for people coming in from further afield the last section of the M7 from Birdhill to the Newport Roundabout is open on Tuesday so no more long queues coming in from the Dublin side onto that roundabout.

I know a person living in Nenagh working in Shannon who is calculating a saving of 1hour 15 minutes each day in traffic saving time because of the Motorway and Tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have used the tunnel numerous times already - its such a pleasure not having to drive the condell road/go through town!

There wouldnt be any traffic problems in the city if people actually werent too tight with their measly 1.80 and use the tunnel!

Mc Love wrote: »
    There wouldnt be any traffic problems in the city if people actually werent too tight with their measly 1.80 and use the tunnel!

I totally agree BUT for car drivers only. Imagine driving a truck and paying €4.50 or €5.70.

Also a vanette which is smaller than a saloon can be charged €3.20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I have used the tunnel numerous times already - its such a pleasure not having to drive the condell road/go through town!

Patronising and offensive bull****.

1.80 x 2 trips per day x 21 days work a month x 12 months = approx €900 a year, or €850 if you allow for holidays.

Avoiding paying that is NOT "tight" by any means.

The ones who are responsible for people objecting to the toll are those who set the charge too high.

As I said before, if the toll was €1, twice as many cars would probably use it, and that would kill two birds with one stone while still giving Direct Route or whoever roughly the same (even more) income.

Liam you are forgetting what has happened in other parts of the country.

People boycotted the Toll for their own reasons but eventually realised the potential of the Toll and started using it.

€1 or €1.80, patience will show the benefit of such an expensive piece of infrastructure.

This is not like being charged €12 to park on Gravel at the cliffs of moher. This costs millions upon millions of Euro to build and the cost must be recouped by the operator during the 30 year contract they have.

Take away maintenance, utilities, wages and god knows what else during that time including the LTA they have to pay to the NRA/Government then if they did charge €1 they probably would not break even after their 30 year "lease".

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Patronising and offensive bull****.

1.80 x 2 trips per day x 21 days work a month x 12 months = approx €900 a year, or €850 if you allow for holidays.

Avoiding paying that is NOT "tight" by any means.

The ones who are responsible for people objecting to the toll are those who set the charge too high.

As I said before, if the toll was €1, twice as many cars would probably use it, and that would kill two birds with one stone while still giving Direct Route or whoever roughly the same (even more) income.

Think about how much money you will spend on drink/cigarettes etc if you do consume such luxuries?

Think about how less stress you will have for paying €900 a year so that
    1. you can get home quicker
    2. less road rage because you can simply overtake slow incompetent drivers whereas sometimes you wont on places like the condell road (when busy)

There are prob many others I cant think of the mo.

Just to add by your reckoning if the toll was 1 euro, you think more people would use it if it was 80c less - you sir are having a laugh!

Take away maintenance, utilities, wages and god knows what else during that time including the LTA they have to pay to the NRA/Government then if they did charge €1 they probably would not break even after their 30 year "lease".

That statement might make sense if there were no increase in usage based on the price decrease to a reasonable level, however - as I stated clearly - if twice as many people use it (and I know LOADS of people who won't / couldn't afford to use it daily because it would add €850 - €900 to their annual car bill) then there would be absolutely no decrease in income.

So the above statement by you is, quite frankly, rubbish. Twice as many people using it @ €1 = MORE income than the current €1.80 will bring in.

Just to add by your reckoning if the toll was 1 euro, you think more people would use it if it was 80c less - you sir are having a laugh!

No, I'm not having a laugh.

80c less SOUNDS LIKE feck-all until you double it (two-way trip) and then do it every day.

It's €400 a year. That's the price of a decent holiday to cope with stress.

• Advertisement

So the above statement by you is, quite frankly, rubbish.

Liam,

It is perfectly acceptable for you to disagree with me or challenge my opinion. It is not polite for you to call my statement "Rubbish".

Let us agree to disagree.

Liam,

It is perfectly acceptable for you to disagree with me or challenge my opinion. It is not acceptable for you to call my statement "Rubbish".

Let us agree to disagree.

I pointed out that twice as many people would use it, meaning that they would have the same income.

You claimed that they wouldn't break even.

That doesn't make sense - ergo it is rubbish. I mean no disrespect but you completely ignored the fact that twice as many people would use it. I know at least 30 people who have explicitly said that they couldn't afford / justify €850 a year extra, and I've used it a couple of times if I'm really, really stuck / late, but there's no way I'd use it every day (or even every weekend).

But I would if it were €1.

Those are the facts.

So claiming that "they wouldn't break even" is ridiculous.

I would even acknowledge that there could be an argument for a higher charge at peak times (when presumably some of the toll charge would be offset against increased fuel costs/wear and tear) but at other times it simply does not make sense to use the tunnel, despite Limerick City Council's best efforts to make using the new bridge and Condell Rd unappealing in order to encourage tunnel use.

Liam. You SAID twice the amount would use it. I didn't say that.

Who can say this for sure?

So, Im sure they have calculated the amount they require by estimated use is €1.80 per car.

What you perceive to be rubbish has nothing to do with me. You're putting words in my mouth/keyboard.

You're putting words in my mouth/keyboard.

No. I stated an opinion of mine based on fact and personal experience with friends working in Shannon, etc, and we discussed it one night where they said they'd use it if it were €1 but they can't justify €850 a year.

You chose to ignore or even acknowledge that as even a possibility when claiming that they wouldn't even break even.

No. I stated an opinion of mine based on fact and personal experience with friends working in Shannon, etc, and we discussed it one night where they said they'd use it if it were €1 but they can't justify €850 a year.

You chose to ignore or even acknowledge that as even a possibility when claiming that they wouldn't even break even.

I know people working in shannon who use it twice daily and they love the fact they dont have to go near the dock road etc and only have to pay 1.80 e/w for the privilege of being home 10-20 mins before the joe soaps who are too tight to pay the 1.80

Plus it will get to the stage where people will use it because they couldnt be bothered to go through town (i already know a lot of people like this) try the M50 for example, its tolled and its one of the busiest roads in the country and then there are people like Liam, who try and dodge the toll

I know people working in shannon who use it twice daily and they love the fact they dont have to go near the dock road etc and only have to pay 1.80 e/w for the privilege of being home 10-20 mins before the joe soaps who are too tight to pay the 1.80

That's the second time you've phrased it as "too tight", and it's objectionable; there's certainly nothing "tight" about not wanting to fork out €850 a year.

You're entitled to your opinion about whether or not the toll is worth it TO YOU, but the slur about being "tight" (which, incidentally, has echoes of the reason Ireland in this mess where people who were prudent and considered their options before forking out cash left, right and centre without looking at it objectively as to what something was worth were condescendingly sneered at) is out of line.
    ......and then there are people like Liam, who try and dodge the toll

I object to the attempted slur (although not to the "people like Liam" attempt at one, since if there were more people like me we would never have had rip-off Ireland and paid €450,000 for houses worth €150,000, or sites that suddenly lost 70% of their supposed "value") and object to the description as "dodge the toll"; I simply choose not to be ripped off and I use an alternate route.....I certainly do not "dodge the toll".

Post reported due to both slurs.

You have reported me for calling you too tight??? And the second "slur" as you call it, is just a broad generalisation of people being "irish" and trying to avoid paying for something said people were crying out for, for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

I have a house in Cluain Dubh which is a mini-estate inside Cragaun on Fr Russell Road. Does anyone think that the opening of the new tunnel / road / motorway so close to the house will increase its value???

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Think about how less stress you will have for paying €900 a year so that
    1. you can get home quicker
    2. less road rage because you can simply overtake slow incompetent drivers whereas sometimes you wont on places like the condell road (when busy)

Perhaps the "slow incompetent drivers" you refer to, are simply obeying the rules of the road and observing the speed limit.

jbkenn

You have reported me for calling you too tight???

For doing so twice and for personalising the comment.
    And the second "slur" as you call it, is just a broad generalisation of people being "irish" and trying to avoid paying for something said people were crying out for, for years!

I'm not "trying to avoid paying for" anything. Someone who doesn't go to a restaurant can't be accused of "trying to avoid paying for" their meal!

I'm simply using the old route regularly because the charge on the tunnel is too high to justify regular use, especially if it's not at rush hour.

Someone could "cry out for years" for lots of things, but unless they are priced realistically, fairly and sustainably they won't - or shouldn't - be sold / used.

And in terms of a view of cash, well there's probably a sliding scale :

miser -> tight -> sensible -> careless -> flaithulach -> reckless

I've no problem being labelled "sensible" - as I said if more people had cop-on then we wouldn't be in this recession to the extent that we are - but "tight" is inaccurate and offensive.

I guess it's all relative to where you are on the scale; after all an optimist would slur a realist as a pessimist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ok time for both Mc Love and Liam Byrne to take a step back and calm down.

Mc. Love I think you have made your point, unless you have anything else to contribute to this thread, then I recommend you stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I have a house in Cluain Dubh which is a mini-estate inside Cragaun on Fr Russell Road. Does anyone think that the opening of the new tunnel / road / motorway so close to the house will increase its value???

If it does, It will be minimal in todays world

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi,
    I am using Express lanes with a Tolltag.ie the length and breadth of the Country BUT on the Limerick Tunnel which I use most days, my tag wont work on the Express Lane, but works on the other lanes.
    I have reported this to Tolltag.ie and have been told that it is because I was going through the lane to fast.
    So I dropped my speed to 50km and tried again (a few times!) BUT still no success!
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks

kiwipower wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am using Express lanes with a Tolltag.ie the length and breadth of the Country BUT on the Limerick Tunnel which I use most days, my tag wont work on the Express Lane, but works on the other lanes.
    I have reported this to Tolltag.ie and have been told that it is because I was going through the lane to fast.
    So I dropped my speed to 50km and tried again (a few times!) BUT still no success!
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks

YES I HAVE.

I have spoken to a guy who is a Technical Manager for the Toll Plaza numerous times and we are still none the wiser.

My Tag works all over the country but not in Limerick.

BTW just so you know the inbound lane from the Clonmacken Road is not working and has not been for around a week.

I have to hold my tag out the window of the car for the Express lanes to recognise my Tag.

I have a Ford Focus with a heated windscreen and "apparently" that causes interference.

You should therefore only install your tag in the black area of the windscreen. This is also in the documentation and mounting guide your Toll provider gives you.

Basically I have been over and over this with The Limerick Tunnell people and Easypass for weeks.

Dont waste your breath. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

my tag wasnt working in the express lanes, but its started working recently. I have lowered my speed considerably now and it regsitered. the other thing is that the barrier raises late on the lanes here IE it doesnt raise immediately, but raises when you get closer. This threw me off once the first time I approached. slow right down, keep an eye on the arrow and see how you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

It will work if you go slow enough. Try 30kph or 20kph. Mien will not work at 50 but will at between 20 and 30

At a guess I would think that what ever reader they are using is underpowered and slow and requires an extended period to read. alternatively it could be a software issue requiring multiple reads.

That's why it works fine when you physically stop in the other lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I've been having the same problems, the toll plaza does not recognise my tag when using the express lane entering from clonmacken, however it does recognise my tag if I am exiting through clonmacken.

My toll tag works all over the country too, its works on the express lanes on the M7/M8 and the M4. It also works on the M50.

I wonder does it have anything to do from where you order your toll tag from? I ordered mine from Direct Route, surely if you ordered the tag from there then it would definetly work on the express lanes for the Limerick tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Never had a problem yet with the express lane, using a eFlow tag though. Usually drive into the lane at 50-60kph. The barrier takes ages to lift alright which can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

YES I HAVE.

I have spoken to a guy who is a Technical Manager for the Toll Plaza numerous times and we are still none the wiser.

My Tag works all over the country but not in Limerick.

BTW just so you know the inbound lane from the Clonmacken Road is not working and has not been for around a week.

I have to hold my tag out the window of the car for the Express lanes to recognise my Tag.

I have a Ford Focus with a heated windscreen and "apparently" that causes interference.

You should therefore only install your tag in the black area of the windscreen. This is also in the documentation and mounting guide your Toll provider gives you.

Basically I have been over and over this with The Limerick Tunnell people and Easypass for weeks.

Dont waste your breath. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.
    Thats interesting about the Focus, as I also have the heated windscreen! (I think all cars should have these in this country! Never had to defrost my windscreen all last winter!)
    I will try hanging out the window this evening! (The card not me!! Haaa HAaa)
    I had also talked to one of the cashiers at the paystation. I was informed that it had something to do with the video cameras and that they where working on it. As friendly as the Cashier was, I felt this was the company line and let it go.

• Advertisement

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    Thats interesting about the Focus, as I also have the heated windscreen! (I think all cars should have these in this country! Never had to defrost my windscreen all last winter!)
    I will try hanging out the window this evening! (The card not me!! Haaa HAaa)
    I had also talked to one of the cashiers at the paystation. I was informed that it had something to do with the video cameras and that they where working on it. As friendly as the Cashier was, I felt this was the company line and let it go.

I'd say they are looking into it because I was speaking to him many times about this(The Tech Manager) and informed him that it worked in Watergrasshill which is the same camera system and the same company/employer of his so it should work here.

Anyway I discovered by hanging it out the window by seeing another car do it.

Its annoying but thats life at the moment.

Also I saw a car yesterday morningish time nearly stopping dead under the scanner and then proceeding through. This WILL cause a pile up if people keep doing this.

Advertisement