Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick tunnel toll rip-off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I tried hanging out the window with it last night. No luck. Maybe the speed issue I think I was doing about 60 or 70km/h.
    You are right about the slowing down to a dead stop I try to slow down as much as possible but am awafe that as I am in the passing lane that this could result in me being rear ended! It also defeats the purpose of an express lane if you have to stop before entering it!
    I wonder if maybe their signs for the express lane are blocking the camera view of cars coming up to the lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

was behind a Cork reg car today, guys going to the match, who threw their money into the basket and it caused all kinds of consternation with the operator at the window shouting at them they weren't supposed to do that, but in in fairness to the driver, I don't think it says anywhere at the baskets don't work. But why don't they work. The Operator is usually ready to take the money but a visitor wouldn't be expected to know that. Operator had to phone "the boss" and sort it out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

was behind a Cork reg car today, guys going to the match, who threw their money into the basket and it caused all kinds of consternation with the operator at the window shouting at them they weren't supposed to do that, but in in fairness to the driver, I don't think it says anywhere at the baskets don't work. But why don't they work. The Operator is usually ready to take the money but a visitor wouldn't be expected to know that. Operator had to phone "the boss" and sort it out :(

Shocking stuff.

Lately when I go through the toll plaza in Limerick and some others around the country, I will go through the express lane, my tag will beep but the barrier wont open, so i have to go to the booth, then my tag will beep again but still no barrier will open so i have to pay the toll with cash.

That happened once on the Limerick toll plaza at clonmacken.

When I was on the M4 Enfield last night heading wesht, the express lane was closed, so i went into the coin basket only barrier, however this lane also has the etoll sign, so i presumed it would open for me, my tag did beep but nothing, so i had to rummage through my wallet and car for the 2.90 toll.

When I went through it again this morning heading back to Dublin, the express lane was open, my tag beeped three times in quick succession and the barrier didnt lift so I again had to go through the coin basket lane and the same thing happened as above.

Does anyone know why this is happening, I thought I may not have enough credit on my toll account but im pretty sure its meant to top up with 45 euro automatically if i am running low and take it from my bank account. Am I being charged more than once? (when my tag beeps yet i still have to pay cash to lift the barrier)

Very frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I got into an argument at the Clonmacken one earlier on heading Thomond park bound. The Express lane didnt work and the, typical Irish drivers, then refused to allow me to merge into the LONG queue.

I got to the front and my tag beeped and the barrier didnt open. I said "Umm whats up"

"Oh this one is working."
    "Why are you not using the other lane so if this one isnt working"
    "Hardly my problem is it"

It worked, sort of, on the way back through the other plaza heading home. It beeped and didnt open "Tag not read". I went to reverse back to pay and suddenly the barrier lifted. Odd.

Nice :rolleyes:

I never ever have any issues with ANY other Toll Plaza in Ireland.

Was checking my statment from www.tolltag.ie this morning. Much to my surprise I have discovered at least four trips that I havent been charged for. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
    Also wondering could I suddenly find that I am back charged for these?

• Advertisement

kiwipower wrote: »
    Was checking my statment from www.tolltag.ie this morning. Much to my surprise I have discovered at least four trips that I havent been charged for. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
    Also wondering could I suddenly find that I am back charged for these?

I used it twice over the weekend and was not charged. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Was heading home fromt he ennis side through the express lane, think it was Friday. Some one had skidded through the barrier, barrier was smashed, and 2 nice rubber tracks acroos the line...:)

Braking down to 50kph is ludacris in the express lane, 70 would do the job....not sure you have to break down so slow on other tolls...

Things i've noticed with it...

If you're over the 50kph, it ain't opening for ya, even if the tag beeps...:(
    Be careful braking down to 50 in the overtaking lane, someone nearly rearended me the other day...
    Even if you do go through at 50kph, if some tool barrells in after you the barrier won't raise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A girl I know went through the barrier in Portlaoise, was on the phone to her mom, she never heard from the people that manage it :D

Berty wrote: »
    I used it twice over the weekend and was not charged. :D
    Mc Love wrote: »
    A girl I know went through the barrier in Portlaoise, was on the phone to her mom, she never heard from the people that manage it :D

I do find this interesting, especially when they are claiming lack of use of the tunnel and are going to claim payment out of the government for lack of traffic volume! Makes you wonder if they are keeping daily figures down by not registering all users so that they can justify charging the government an extremely large fee???? Conspirisy Theory Maybe?????

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

Article in the Limerick Post this week regarding the Limerick Tunnel, currently 13,500 cars are using it each day, below the 17,000 target.

Full Article:
    LimerickTunnel-1.png

The problem with the tunnel is that people living in any of the highlighted areas in the map of Limerick below find it difficult to get onto the Southern Ring Road during peak travel times.

Limerick.png

Until the N24 junction and bridge is upgraded to freeflow and dual-carriageway standard, and access to the Southern Ring Road from Childer Road via Carew Park is built traffic congestion at these junctions won't improve. From Castletroy and Monaleen at peak times the Dublin Road is very busy due to schools and UL, so until they build the Golf Links Road to Grood Road link road and the Golf Links Road is widened access will be slow to the M7 for us to use the Limerick Tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

lukejr wrote: »
    Article in the Limerick Post this week regarding the Limerick Tunnel, currently 13,500 cars are using it each day, below the 17,000 target.

Marie Hobbins reporting old news again. This was already reported by the Leader in September. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-Tunnel-operators-39generally-happy39.6539867.jp The figure of 13,500 was the average for August which was its first month of use. It may be the same now, but it may also be higher or lower as they haven't released any more figures yet for subsequent months.

The problem with the tunnel is that people living in any of the highlighted areas in the map of Limerick below find it difficult to get onto the Southern Ring Road during peak travel times.

Until the N24 junction and bridge is upgraded to freeflow and dual-carriageway standard, and access to the Southern Ring Road from Childer Road via Carew Park is built traffic congestion at these junctions won't improve. From Castletroy and Monaleen at peak times the Dublin Road is very busy due to schools and UL, so until they build the Golf Links Road to Grood Road link road and the Golf Links Road is widened access will be slow to the M7 for us to use the Limerick Tunnel

While I agree that the N24 junction is a disaster, traffic from Childers Road already has a freeflow junction onto the M7, M20 and N18 via the Carew Park Link Road. The only issue with this junction is the loss of the access to Childers Road from the M20.
    As for the residents of Monaleen and Castletroy, wouldn't it be simpler for them to drive out to to Finegans and join the motorway from there? Its not the responsibility of the NRA to build a local access road for residents of this area.

As for the residents of Monaleen and Castletroy, wouldn't it be simpler for them to drive out to to Finegans and join the motorway from there? Its not the responsibility of the NRA to build a local access road for residents of this area.

I assumed so too, it was fine in July/August, very quick to access the M7. But once UL and the schools were back it was a disaster at peak times, clogging up all access around Castletroy at peak times. Due to Castletroy College the road into Newtown is all blocked up, and Kilmurry Roadabout is backed-up past Woodhaven housing estate so it's very slow to access the Dublin road. So using the Finegans roundabout during school/college term is a complete disaster.

How is it difficult for people in Roxborough to get onto the Link Road at Peak Times? They are basically living right next to the quietest on ramps and off ramps the stretch has due to the closure of the M20 access.

I agree that the Tipperary flyover needs upgrading to free flow. Every so often Im sitting in the line of traffic heading out of town and some oddball drives up the hard shoulder and get stuck behind a sign. They assumed it was a free flow lane to access the Motorway. You would think so but nope................

This is something they should do immediately. Except, what will happen? You guessed it. People heading towards Tipperary will head into the left lane and cause more congestion.

Yeah me bad. Roxborough is very easy to get onto the Tunnel.

The N24 junction is a mess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I assumed so too, it was fine in July/August, very quick to access the M7. But once UL and the schools were back it was a disaster at peak times, clogging up all access around Castletroy at peak times. Due to Castletroy College the road into Newtown is all blocked up, and Kilmurry Roadabout is backed-up past Woodhaven housing estate so it's very slow to access the Dublin road. So using the Finegans roundabout during school/college term is a complete disaster.

Again though this isn't the responsibility of the NRA or the tunnel operators, therefore it's not their problem. This is down to bad planning by Limerick County Council. Also the M7 from Finnegans to Roxboro opened to traffic in 2003 and has nothing to do with the design or operation of the tunnel.

Completely agree, it is down to the Limerick County Council, nothing to do with Direct Route. Improving the access via the N24 would encourage people to use the tunnel.

The NRA are responsible for all national roads in the state, so it is there responsibility for the N24.

On the justification of the government subsidising low usage of the Tunnel.

This is nothing new for Toll Operations in Ireland. Many people, living in their cocoon, in Limerick are only hearing about it now and reporting it because it is now only affecting them.

Even though they have been paying for the low usage of other tolls in Ireland for years. :rolleyes:

So for those of you sitting on the dock road refusing to use the Tunnel. You're paying anyway so use it. :D LOL

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

People seem to be missing the point that a great many local motorists are not using the tunnel because it quite simply doesn't suit the journey they're making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

People seem to be missing the point that a great many local motorists are not using the tunnel because it quite simply doesn't suit the journey they're making.

Would agree but some feel that the €1.80 is too expensive regardless of how long they have to queue driving thru' the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

They should have just built a low level bridge with swing for the twice a day boats go up and down and restrict ship movements away from peak times. It would have cost a lot less and the long term maintenance would lower.

• Advertisement

They should have just built a low level bridge with swing for the twice a day boats go up and down and restrict ship movements away from peak times. It would have cost a lot less and the long term maintenance would lower.

Have you ever got caught in the traffic back-up in Waterford after a bridge lift?

If they'd gone with that option and had similar traffic jams afetr a bridge lift we'd have people screaming for a tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tunnel has definitely gotten busier in the last few weeks - wonder what the current figures are if it was 13,500 back in Aug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

access in castletroy is fine, the roundabout is much quieter now, another access point would be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

phog wrote: »
    Would agree but some feel that the €1.80 is too expensive regardless of how long they have to queue driving thru' the city.

I'm wondering what the cost of petrol would be to detour and not use the tunnel? Would it amount to €1.80? Probably..

One thing miffed me the other day. I was heading out to the airport, and went to the coins only barrier, and it wouldn't accept my last 20c, machine kept saying I needed to put in 20c, but I only had an extra euro on me...
    grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the cost of petrol would be to detour and not use the tunnel? Would it amount to €1.80? Probably..

One thing miffed me the other day. I was heading out to the airport, and went to the coins only barrier, and it wouldn't accept my last 20c, machine kept saying I needed to put in 20c, but I only had an extra euro on me...
    grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Check the refund shute as sometimes there are coins there from previous road users and one might work ;)

Still having problems with the tolltag.ie and the express lane. Even at 40kph with the tag out the window it doesnt always work!!! Emailed Limerick Tunnel last week and they still havent replied!!!:mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They still try to charge me 3.20 for my KIA pro'ceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

They still try to charge me 3.20 for my KIA pro'ceed.

Me too. When I go thru the lane with no cashier im fine - detected as a car. But the Cashier sees the tinted windows and assumes commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Opposite with mine, detects it as a commercial vehicle so i've to go to the toll booth. something to do with the way it scans the doors, 2 doors=commercial apparently.

• Advertisement

kiwipower wrote: »
    Still having problems with the tolltag.ie and the express lane. Even at 40kph with the tag out the window it doesnt always work!!! Emailed Limerick Tunnel last week and they still havent replied!!!:mad::(

I noticed the sign about the express lane with the speed limit is gone. My tag still did not work though. At this stage, I couldnt care less because i just expect it not to work now.

Advertisement