Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick tunnel toll rip-off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Berty wrote: »
    I noticed the sign about the express lane with the speed limit is gone. My tag still did not work though. At this stage, I couldnt care less because i just expect it not to work now.

Who did you receive your toll tag from ?

I got mine from Direct Route and i say it works about 7 times out of 10 on the limerick tunnell toll plaza.

Works all the time on all the other toll plaza's across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Who did you receive your toll tag from ?

I got mine from Direct Route and i say it works about 7 times out of 10 on the limerick tunnell toll plaza.

E Trip. It works when it wants to basically in Limerick but works everywhere else perfectly.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Still haven't replied to my complaint either.

Tolltag.ie did reply and stated that they've had numerous issues with Limerick tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Hi
    I go through the Limerick Toll Plaza every day going towards Caherdavin and the tag works every time. The trick is to go through at 50k. I know its mad and every other road does not have this set up but 50k (30 MPH) works for me all the time. Somebody said it did not work at 40k but that is too slow. believe it or not going too slow on the express lane is a problem also. stick to 50kph and it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

My TollTag.ie is always having problems, didn't work again this morning on the fast lane, beeped. But gate wouldn't open, so drove to cashier and the gate opened. Getting very annoyed with this, the Limerick Tunnel is the only toll in Ireland that has this problem with my tag.

On that note, the traffic at Clonmacken Road before the traffic lights at Ivans is getting very bad at peak times, was stuck there for over 10 minutes this morning, got through once the traffic lights changed for the third time.

This type of delay is really reducing the benefit of using the tunnel for me. Limerick City and County Councils haven't optimized traffic flows in the city to suit people who are paying to use the tunnel.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    Access in castletroy is fine, the roundabout is much quieter now, another access point would be ridiculous.

Drive from Monaleen to Finnegans at 08:30 and tell me how long it takes, going past Castletroy College or via Kilmurry Roundabout takes 15 minutes due to school and UL traffic.

No need for another access point, just a need to upgrade the N24 junction to dual carriageway to allow traffic to access the M7 with ease, and also link the Golf Links Road with Groody Road to make access easier. That link is in the plans but nothing happening due to property collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

lukejr wrote: »
    Limerick City and County Councils haven't optimized traffic flows in the city to suit people who are paying to use the tunnel.

They're too busy hamstringing the alternative routes, they don't have time to worry about traffic optimisation..

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I rang the Limerick Tunnel last thursday after they failed to answer my Email. I was put onto an Technitian who arranged for me to come into the carpart next to their offices by the toll plaza. He looked at my tag location, and checked if my Reg or Tag number was on some list that they are sent a couple of times a day from the corporation in Dublin that co-ordinates all the toll tags and tolls around the country. It seems my details are only intermitently coming through to their network. They are going to further investiage and try to sort it out.

He did explain why tags dont beep sometimes. This happens when the cashier lets you through without charging, assuming there is some problem with your tag. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lukejr wrote: »
    Drive from Monaleen to Finnegans at 08:30 and tell me how long it takes, going past Castletroy College or via Kilmurry Roundabout takes 15 minutes due to school and UL traffic.

No need for another access point, just a need to upgrade the N24 junction to dual carriageway to allow traffic to access the M7 with ease, and also link the Golf Links Road with Groody Road to make access easier. That link is in the plans but nothing happening due to property collapse.

sure drive through town and tell me how that takes you? Its rush hour traffic, fine its a bit of a delay, but its better than the alternative. An access point directly into a residential area would be a disaster, it would turn monaleen into a rat race.
    a golfs links to groody connection would be better option alright.

sure drive through town and tell me how that takes you? Its rush hour traffic, fine its a bit of a delay, but its better than the alternative. An access point directly into a residential area would be a disaster, it would turn monaleen into a rat race.
    a golfs links to groody connection would be better option alright.

Golf Links to Groody is in the Castletroy development plan. You can see the temporary junction sign on the Golf Links road, was due to open next year but doesn't look like it will be built until the next boon. This would provide easier access to the M7 via the N24, as you'd be travelling against traffic to get onto the M7, it should be quicker than currently.

Driving through town at peak times takes between 25-30 minutes, getting onto the M7, using the tunnel and then getting past traffic lights at Ivans at Ennis road takes about 25-30 minutes. There is less stress using the tunnel briefly.

I'm all for the tunnel, just wished the roads were designed better so people can access it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

One of my major complaints is that you cant access the mainline toll plaza from the new roundabout at the Raddison. I thought it would be glaringly obvious to put an onramp there. (What I mean is if you wish to access it coming from the Raddison say)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

One of my major complaints is that you cant access the mainline toll plaza from the new roundabout at the Raddison. I thought it would be glaringly obvious to put an onramp there. (What I mean is if you wish to access it coming from the Raddison say)

If you coming from the Radisson then you travel in toward the Clondell Road and enter at the Clonmacken Roundabout junction.

If you coming from the Radisson then you travel in toward the Clondell Road and enter at the Clonmacken Roundabout junction.

Yes I know you can go via the condell road, but it adds to the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I made that mistake this morning coming from Raheen to the Radisson. I forgot you could not exit or didnt think of it and had to go to Setrights to turn back. :mad:

I was coming down from Ennis one day. Decided to go through the city, pulled off at the Clondell Road, as I came off the slip way Traffic was VERY heavely built up, heading for the city. I was in a hurry so I slipped around the Raddison Roundabout back on the the N18 heading West and took the next exit off the N18 (the R462) crossed over the fly over and back down on the the N18 and through the tunnel. This only took me a few extra minutes. I would recommend it if comming out of the Raddison during heavy traffic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

kiwipower wrote: »
    I was coming down from Ennis one day. Decided to go through the city, pulled off at the Clondell Road, as I came off the slip way Traffic was VERY heavely built up, heading for the city. I was in a hurry so I slipped around the Raddison Roundabout back on the the N18 heading West and took the next exit off the N18 (the R462) crossed over the fly over and back down on the the N18 and through the tunnel. This only took me a few extra minutes. I would recommend it if comming out of the Raddison during heavy traffic!

What?:confused:

Sorry to be pedantic but its the Condell road ;)

Here is the google maps directions for my suggestion on how to get from the Radisson to the tunnel if traffic is bad on Condel road.

icon_greenA.pngRadisson Blu Hotel & Spa
    Ennis Road, Not Specified
    Limerick, Co. Limerick

061 456 200

transparent.png

1. Head southwest on Ennis Rd

170 m

2. Turn left toward N18

81 m

3. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto N18

2.7 km

4. Exit onto R462

400 m

5. Turn right to merge onto N18 Destination will be on the left

400 m

icon_greenB.pngN18

Keep going for the tunnel

Here is the google maps directions for my suggestion on how to get from the Radisson to the tunnel if traffic is bad on Condel road.

icon_greenA.pngRadisson Blu Hotel & Spa
    Ennis Road, Not Specified
    Limerick, Co. Limerick

061 456 200

transparent.png

1. Head southwest on Ennis Rd

170 m

2. Turn left toward N18

81 m

3. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto N18

2.7 km

4. Exit onto R462

400 m

5. Turn right to merge onto N18 Destination will be on the left

400 m

icon_greenB.pngN18

Keep going for the tunnel

So that's head out towards Shannon/Galway on the dual carriage way until you get to the flyover near Cratloe and come back in again staying on the dual carriage way until you get to the tunnel.

Why didn't the NRA planners just design a junction near the Radisson that would allow traffic exit and join coming from and heading to the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

not to be pedantic (again) but its the Ennis Road that would have heavy traffic at this point. Condel Road doesn't start until the Coonagh Roundabout, and traffic on Condel Road is non-existant nowadays. Although with the threat of the speed camera vans, its a bit slow moving and tedious - its a road that can easily handle more than 60km/50km. Coming in the Condel Road the other morning in very heavy fog the guy in van heading out the road didn't fancy staying behind the car doing the limit so he overtook on the continuous white line with no lights on and came face to face to my car :eek:. He was clearly in the wrong but it can be very frustrating sticking to 50km on that road.

• Advertisement

not to be pedantic (again) but its the Ennis Road that would have heavy traffic at this point. Condel Road doesn't start until the Coonagh Roundabout, and traffic on Condel Road is non-existant nowadays. Although with the threat of the speed camera vans, its a bit slow moving and tedious - its a road that can easily handle more than 60km/50km. Coming in the Condel Road the other morning in very heavy fog the guy in van heading out the road didn't fancy staying behind the car doing the limit so he overtook on the continuous white line with no lights on and came face to face to my car :eek:. He was clearly in the wrong but it can be very frustrating sticking to 50km on that road.

Imagine if you were going quicker and had less time to react ;)

Sorry to be pedantic but its the Condell road ;)

Previous posters have refered to this as the clondell road as well. I dont know the roads name, just went by what ever was written in earlier posts or on google maps. Also spell checker does not work on the www.boards.ie website when using it at work, and I have a problem with spelling! So please give me a break about spelling errors! Same goes for Insect Overlord !!!
    phog wrote: »
    So that's head out towards Shannon/Galway on the dual carriage way until you get to the flyover near Cratloe and come back in again staying on the dual carriage way until you get to the tunnel.

Why didn't the NRA planners just design a junction near the Radisson that would allow traffic exit and join coming from and heading to the tunnel.

I agree it would make a world more sense!!! :D But still if they wont build it to suit me... I'll make it work some how! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same goes for Insect Overlord !!!

Ooh you are in trouble now :D

Previous posters have refered to this as the clondell road as well. I dont know the roads name, just went by what ever was written in earlier posts or on google maps. Also spell checker does not work on the www.boards.ie website when using it at work, and I have a problem with spelling! So please give me a break about spelling errors! Same goes for Insect Overlord !!!

I agree it would make a world more sense!!! :D But still if they wont build it to suit me... I'll make it work some how! :p

Not having a go at you, just pointing it out now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I seem to remember this thread containing something about the tunnel being closed due to a truck blocking the entrance (many weeks/months ago).

Anyhow I was in court yesterday (different story) and there was a guy up for refusing to move his truck from the tunnel, and taking the keys away so that a garda qualified to drive the truck wasn't able to move it.

When he was called, he was asked if he pleaded guilty or not guilty, and he replied that he didn't understand the charges. The judge read them out again, and he finally said 'innocent'. The judge told him that such a plea doesn't exist, and asked him if he wouldn't rather a solicitor appointed to represent him. He said that he was 'confident I can administer my own affairs', and the judge replied, 'oh yeah? Well fair play to you.'

When he was directed to ask any questions of the garda, he asked the judge if the judge had read the case file. The judge was replying that this wasn't how things work at all, and that he doesn't read each file before the case comes to court.....

I had to leave the room at this stage, as I was laughing so much.

(Mods: is it ok to post this stuff here? Apologies if it's not)

I've a feeling this might have been the same fella with the stick above the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

That Express lane is a joke!!!! It always seems to be closed OR else it is under repairs.
    "A small electronic Limerick Tunnel Tag is placed on the inside of your windscreen. As you approach the toll booth, sensors in the lane will detect your tag, deduct the appropriate toll from your pre-paid account, the traffic light will turn green and the barrier will lift. It is as simple as that! In the Express Lane, you will be able to negotiate the lane at a speed of up to 50kph, leaving a distance of at least 30m from the vehicle in front, without stopping"

thats total Crap.the express lane is always closed.(bad Luck) There is always problems in limerick with the tags for everyone. only place in the country that there is problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I've a feeling this might have been the same fella with the stick above the height.

it is him. the sensors were faulty.

faulty how?

• Advertisement

The express lanes on the toll is working way better now, you can go through at 80km/h now and it has scanned each time I've used it over the past two weeks.

What ever they did it's now working much better.

Advertisement