Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough guide to cost of self build

Options
  • 01-04-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi new member looking for some help and advice. Looking at building in wexford 2782 sq foot two storey with conservatory. Does anyone have an idea of cost per sq ft for builders finish.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated

Jsix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jsix wrote: »
    Hi new member looking for some help and advice. Looking at building in wexford 2782 sq foot two storey with conservatory. Does anyone have an idea of cost per sq ft for builders finish.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated

Jsix

I'd also like to know how long is a piece of string. :p

seriously though OP. Can you answer some basic questions first.

How much of the work are you likely to do yourself?
    Are you looking to self build or get a contractor in for the whole job?
    What standard of house do you hope to achieve? C1 A1 etc
    Whats your basic layout? Bungalow? Storey and a half? Two storey? Rectangular? L-shape? etc

As you can see there are many factors that influence what price it will cost you but reallistically you can aim for somewhere between €65/sqft (doing most work yourself on a basic build) all the way up to €120 sqft (good spec with you just getting handed the keys at the end)

This probably is no help to you but answering these questions might help you get a better answer

P.S Welcome to the site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Hey, I was looking at a post from askaboutmoney.com which has a lot of info on this, but I think the line about how long a piece of string was mentioned there too; what sort of materials you're going to use really impacts cost.

Figures varied from €65 per sq metre to €140 or so, depending on spec.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=63385

Also,
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/advice/improving/building-tools/self-build-estimating-your-building-costs-2379

The SCS figures are for an insurance re-build cost in 2007 (peak), but helpfully they have a lamenting article about tender prices falling by 29% since then. Which is where I've extrapolated my figures.

I was looking at a 120-130 sqm bungalow in Dublin, 150k for the site, 180k for the build, which doesn't leave anything for the insides :-/ I reckon that by getting in people directly you could bring that cost down a bit, I'd like to get the cost down to 300k for the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We are approaching the end of our build. It is costing us close to €150 per sq ft for a 2200 sq ft 1.5 storey house (and seperate garage). This cost includes:

All professional, legal, utility and council fees.

Double glazed Alu Timber composite windows.

Vertical source geo thermal heatpump, 300l water cylinder and UFH on both floors (concrete first floor).

Thick granite cills.

Walnut kitchen with quartz worktop.

Pressurised water system.

Murtagh sewage treatment system.

3 ensuites and 1 main bathroom (Mira & Triton showers) - fully tiled.

Walnut/ash stairs with pine skirting/architrave.

High electrical spec.

Kitchen, dining room, sun room, utility room and hall full tiled.

Walnut engineered floor in sitting room.

Fully painted.

55 sq metre cobblelock patio.

Walnut engineered doors with chrome handles.

Man-made fibre cement slates.

Monocouche coloured render.

These are some of the smaller details but they all have a massive impact on the overall cost. The cost totally depends on the level of finish you want. We could have built our house for €100 per sq ft but we wanted a much higher spec.

The most straight forward example is pvc windows for our house would have cost approx €10k. We spent €25k on a vastly superior product.

Don't underestimate the NON BUILDING costs such as engineer/solicitor/council/utilities etc!!!!

You should also be considering the decision with regard to direct labour or fixed price contract. We opted for a fixed price contract. There can significant cash savings to be made if you have the time/knowledge and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I would second MR EDGES comments re costs. On my build which was direct labour,we were garaged, foundations , walls ,roofed plus all the initial costs fees etc 2150sq ft
    under 100k. Did cavity block build 22k materials and labour, priced poroton 55k for the blocks lintels etc alone .
    Windows ,insulation,air tightness,heating system,hrv,floor finishes,carpentry,kitchen plus appliances,bathroom finishes,electrical spec. There can be massive differences in the costs of the above depending what options you take

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Nearing completion of new build storey and a half 2200square feet plus large garage of 600 square feet
    down the country (leinster)

Its going to cost 225,000 approx not including site, that includes
    fees etc and for the interior to be completely finished to a fairly high spec.
    (ie not builders finish but walk in)

All materials bought from local suppliers but we shopped around for quotes

No landscaping or fencing included

Nothing in build was cheap cheap but middle of the road.

Insulation is high spec

Standard heating (Stanley) plus stove

Breakdown is about 75,000 labour and 145,000 materials

By my reckoning thats just over 100 per square foot finished.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

What renewables did you use in relation to your heating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

this is really a question for Mr edge,

what did your internal doors and surrounds, including skirting cost? If you know the breakdown of materials v labour i'd be interested to know.

mendel wrote: »
    this is really a question for Mr edge,

what did your internal doors and surrounds, including skirting cost? If you know the breakdown of materials v labour i'd be interested to know.

sorry mendel, i don't know. we got a fixed price (all in). i know that we got the builder to quote originally for a full oak interior because we knew that would be one of the more expensive options so we could always work back. we felt it was too hard at the quotation stage to decide on what wood we wanted inside.

a few months into a build we saw a house with the ash/walnut stairs with a paint/varnish finish which we loved. we spoke to the builder and told him that we wanted to change the interior from oak to walnut doors, pine skirting, pine/mdf architrave and the stairs as already mentioned and he offset the reduction in costs against the air tightness membrane.

sorry i can't be of any more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

no problem mr edge,

we are intending oak engineered throughout, most;y glass doors. I have budgeted 5000 to purchase and have them fitted including all surrounds and skirting. Hopefully I'm not far off. think its about 16 doors.

stairs separate oak with glass - quoted 3800 at the moment.

......... i'm a way off doors yet unfortunately!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

mendel wrote: »
    no problem mr edge,

we are intending oak engineered throughout, most;y glass doors. I have budgeted 5000 to purchase and have them fitted including all surrounds and skirting. Hopefully I'm not far off. think its about 16 doors.

stairs separate oak with glass - quoted 3800 at the moment.

......... i'm a way off doors yet unfortunately!!!!

just finished my own place and I got 17 solid oak doors and 270m oak skirting and architraves for about €5,000 (incl ironmongery). labour was about €2,000 I think on top, but that would have included a few other odds and ends the chippys did (window boards, attic hatches etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 fairwind

Hi
    Any chance u could let me know cost and name for geothermal?did u price for ufh with it ?and who provided ur windows and cost ?
    F

Advertisement