Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbit query

Options
  • 01-04-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

This might be an odd question but thought id put it out there anyway. I have two rabbits. one male and one female. Iv booked in the female to be neutered next thursday as shes mature enought now to have it done. I was just wondering... what if she is already pregnant? would I have to let her go through with the pregnancy or when they are neutering can they do some sort of abortion?? I really cant afford to have little bunnies at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

They can spay her anyway when pregnant. Most vets do it alot for cats, even when people didn't know they were pregnant. Some vets won't do it in the late stages of pregnancy, but some will. Your vet might feel her stomach and be able to tell if she is pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

What age is she? Have you seen them mating?
    Rabbit pregnancies only last a month, so if she is in the late stages they might not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How old are they?
    As said if not too far gone the vet should be able to sort it.
    They should be kept seperate until the op anyway.
    There's info. on my site below on the rabbit section on before and after care of neutered rabbits.

Main thing is don't fast them, let them eat. Keep them warm and seperate them until their stitches are out they may also need buster collars on to stop them getting at their stitches. It's not worth risking them picking at them because they'd have to under go another anesthetic to sew them back up again.

Advertisement