Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping some perspective on the season

Options
  • 01-04-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

It's very possible that we could still miss out on everything.
    Get knocked out of the FA Cup and miss out on Champions League.
    It's even conceivable, although unlikely, that we could miss out on Europe altogether.

If that happens, I'm sure there will be some wanting to sell all of our players and sack the manager.

To do anything like that would be insanity. I don't actually think that our strategy for the future should be drastically affected by the results of this season's FA Cup and CL campaigns. Success or failure should have no effect on the plan, except for the off-chance that some excellent player might be available to us if we qualify for the CL.

If we achieve nothing measurable whatsoever, the right course is to keep going: keep the management team, keep the squad, buy virtually no one, sell virtually no one and above all don't panic.

If we blow it, then all we have proved is that we are not ready yet. The squad is still improving. Keep everyone, keep going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

if that happens then in my opinion we would still have had a great season. im supporting spurs for 15 yrs and this is the best season ever for us i think , even better than the lasagne gate episode. we have something about us this season, a bite, a hunger, a desire to win and lots of passion. i have never seen that in spurs teams before. when im watching games and we go down 1-0, we work out socks off to score cos we want to win, before we wouldnt have cared but this season we expect to win and want to win.

to me that is down to two men, harry redknapp and wilson palacious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Joycee

I totally agree. I am following Spurs for 30 years this year (I was five when Ossie joined us and have been hypnotised by Spurs from there on)

In the Lasagnegate season we only played 40 games in total that season (we were out of both cups at 1st match)

This season has been so much better, even with all the injuries we have had, the players that have come in have all absolutely taken their chance to shine. Well done Redknapp for getting the players he wants playing at our club and thank god the DoF position is dead and gone.

With Levy at the helm the business side of the club looks in safe hands and roll on the new stadium being open for 2012-13

No matter what happens this season I have been enthralled by each game and I look forward to our final push for glory, and if as has been said we dont get what we all desire, we still live by our motto To Dare is to Do...

we have some world class players at our club - defoe, lennon, gomes, modric

we are developing more world class players - dawson, bale, bassong maybe?

we are financially sound

what more can we ask for. well done levy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »

what more can we ask for.

3pts tomorrow will do for a start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Do people want us be in Europe unless it is the Champions League. I wouldn't mind being in the Europa Lague if we won the FA Cup but I think that I would prefer to come 6th rather than 5th. There are just too many games in the Europa League. Am I off the wall??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

WHL wrote: »
    Do people want us be in Europe unless it is the Champions League. I wouldn't mind being in the Europa Lague if we won the FA Cup but I think that I would prefer to come 6th rather than 5th. There are just too many games in the Europa League. Am I off the wall??

Back in August, I'm sure many of us would have been very happy with an FA Cup Final appearance at Wembley and 5th/6th in the League!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

WHL wrote: »

Is it next season or the season after that the final of the Europa is in the Aviva ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Is it next season or the season after that the final of the Europa is in the Aviva ?

next season:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Just one thing...
    obviously i really want us to get 4th but,
    what do you expet to get out of the champions league(if we even get passed the qualifing rounds) im hoping none of you think we will win it!
    yes i want to finish as high as we can and maybe win the cup but id love to see us in the group stages with barca and inter and lose out on goal difference show the world we have a good team and that we will be there again next year:D then make it to the final in the aviva stadium where my friends dad works for the fai so il be able to get some quality tickets:D

too much? i hope not:o

3 points today lads pushes us closer

COYS

getting into the champs league would mean money and especially the ability to attract more top players. all players would prefer to play in champs league than europa cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

what do you expect to get out of the champions league(if we even get passed the qualifing rounds)

Spurs playing in the champions league would be just amazing. We could attract better players when the world cup is over. Also the players we have would improve further and the top players we have would not be looking to move to "bigger" clubs. As a business Spurs would make massive money from being in the champions league.
    The players will believe in themselves that we can now challange the big boys for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

It's very possible that we could still miss out on everything.
    Get knocked out of the FA Cup and miss out on Champions League.
    It's even conceivable, although unlikely, that we could miss out on Europe altogether.

If that happens, I'm sure there will be some wanting to sell all of our players and sack the manager.

Sitting here tonight, Man City are favorites for fourth and while we should get to the final, Chelski will be hard to beat in the Cup. We will probably end up with nothing. Do I want to sack the manager if that happens, Absolutely not. I disagreed with his selection at the time and I couldn't see the point of bringing in a coaching team that came from a team that was more used to battling relegation. I was totally wrong. We were so far ahead of where we were when he joined. Look at where some of the key players were then and now:
    Gomes: From a keeper with absolutely no confidence to one that I would only swap for very few
    Bale: Was a periphery player - now a top left-sided player either in defence or attack
    Dawson: In the past he was a good defender with a senior player beside him but looked terrible otherwise. Now one of the top defenders in the league and has been the main man for most of the season
    Lennon: Was always great at beating a man but had no final product. That changed totally this season and he has been conistently finding team-mates
    All these are the results of good coaching and are making all the differrence. I honestly don't think that this side needs much tweaking to move forward another step and challenge for perhaps thirds place. Am I mad?

Advertisement