Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the ageing process

• 01-04-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ladies. today I want to ask a few questions about growing old and the ageing process.

I hear that women get lines on their faces etc mainly due to facial expressions over the years. This may be a stupid question but if you were to go around and not move your face much, not frown so much etc, would you be much older when you get wrinkles or will you get wrinkles at the same age no matter what. Like is there any point in me trying not to make expressions? Or will my face naturally just get wrinkled at the same time anyway?

Secondly, i know everyone is differnet but what would be the average age women would start to age- i.e. get lines/wrinkles?

Should women in their 20s be using anti wrinkle creams?

What is a good moisturiser to use that contains spf that wont break the bank?

Also do you think botox is a good idea for a 29 yr old? Are there going to be long term damages? Would a face lift be better? please help me. preferably women who are older and know what works!! I'd really like to just stay young looking naturally. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Worrying about it will give you wrinkles, plus going around straight faced when you should be smiling and having a laugh will just make you look miserable.

Life is a terminal illness, we all get older. Use a moisturiser with sunscreen, laugh, smile, enjoy your life.

I'd prefer to have a few laugh lines than not laugh at all.

Hi saraasull

Welcome to Boards :)

There are a number of factors which may determine how young your skin will stay looking. Mainly;

Smoking - if you want to look young for longer - don't smoke
    Sun - Keep your skin healthy with an SPF
    Water - keep your skin hydrated by drinking lots of water
    Diet - Lots of Fruit and Veg, Fish, seeds, a good balanced diet
    Skin care regime - a decent skin care regime will help

Unfortunately, your genes play a big part in how young you will look. Take a look at your mum/granny they will give you a general idea of what to expect from your skin.

Your expressions aren't going to play much of a part unless you have very very strong expressions. What fun would life be if you were too concerned about wrinkled to laugh?

I am going to say absolutely no to botox, and as for a facelift, at 29 - absolutely not, you couldn't possibly need a facelift that young. Personally, I'm all for a bit of nip tuck if it's going to make you feel better, but I would never touch my face unless there was a very very good reason to do so.

I don't think there is any harm in beginning to use a light anti wrinkle cream in your 20's. Aldi do a day and nigh cream with q10, they are 2.99 each and the "experts" raved about them when they came out. Personally, I love la roche posay, I really should work for them! They have a range for every skin type and are relatively inexpensive.

Definitely though, no smoking, diet, water and no sun damage are the most important thing when it comes to healthy young skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

^^probably a more sensible reply!

Giselle wrote: »
    ^^probably a more sensible reply!

I thought the same about yours :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saraasull

thank you ladies.
    when you say that worrying about it will give me wrinkles what do you mean? do you mean the face i make when i worry or what?

also, i dont smoke which is good but i don't have any moisturiser with a sunscreen in it.

i actualy have la roche posay moisturising cream, it was €17 and i bought it last week. is it any good seeing as ya know all about it? i read the back and it doesnt say anything about having sunscreen? should i go for one with sunscreen in it?
    up until last week i was using a moisturiser that was meant for my body on my face, would this do damage?
    its just i find the moisturisers very expensive for such a small tube that doesnt last very long! is it morning and night i should use it? like under my makeup?

also is a good cleanser important or would any do?
    thx alot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

saraasull wrote: »
    thank you ladies.
    when you say that worrying about it will give me wrinkles what do you mean? do you mean the face i make when i worry or what?

also, i dont smoke which is good but i don't have any moisturiser with a sunscreen in it.

i actualy have la roche posay moisturising cream, it was €17 and i bought it last week. is it any good seeing as ya know all about it? i read the back and it doesnt say anything about having sunscreen? should i go for one with sunscreen in it?
    up until last week i was using a moisturiser that was meant for my body on my face, would this do damage?
    its just i find the moisturisers very expensive for such a small tube that doesnt last very long! is it morning and night i should use it? like under my makeup?

also is a good cleanser important or would any do?
    thx alot

If your moisturiser has sunscreen it will say SPF 15 or SPF 25 or whatever on it.I find your last statement about the cost of moisturiser a bit contradictory to your first post asking about botox and facelifts tbh, botox and facelifts cost far more than moisturiser long term.

Anyway, if I were you I'd invest in a good skincare routine, maybe go to a counter in one of the big stores and get feedback from them, in my opinion it's well worth it.

You should use moisturiser morning and night times. Beauty products don't have to be expensive to be good, I've very sensitive skin and use E45 as a base moisturiser then add in one with an spf that I'm not allergic too.

Also the more expensive products are often bigger and last longer.

Genetics does play a huge part, I look 5-6 years younger than I am, despite smoking and until recently having a crap diet. I have always tended to have a good skincare routine and avoid the sun like the plague though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

nouggatti wrote: »
    If your moisturiser has sunscreen it will say SPF 15 or SPF 25 or whatever on it.I find your last statement about the cost of moisturiser a bit contradictory to your first post asking about botox and facelifts tbh, botox and facelifts cost far more than moisturiser long term.

Anyway, if I were you I'd invest in a good skincare routine, maybe go to a counter in one of the big stores and get feedback from them, in my opinion it's well worth it.

You should use moisturiser morning and night times. Beauty products don't have to be expensive to be good, I've very sensitive skin and use E45 as a base moisturiser then add in one with an spf that I'm not allergic too.

Also the more expensive products are often bigger and last longer.

Genetics does play a huge part, I look 5-6 years younger than I am, despite smoking and until recently having a crap diet. I have always tended to have a good skincare routine and avoid the sun like the plague though :)

Also, a tip my mam got me onto (think it was a Joanna Woodward thing) was after cleaning/washing your face you should splash your face with tepid water (just below warm) 10 times before moisturising at night. I know it sounds like waffle and I never usually buy into these things, but my skin has never looked better. ;)

Invest in a good eye cream too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mojesius wrote: »
    Also, a tip my mam got me onto (think it was a Joanna Woodward thing) was after cleaning/washing your face you should splash your face with tepid water (just below warm) 10 times before moisturising at night. I know it sounds like waffle and I never usually buy into these things, but my skin has never looked better. ;)

Invest in a good eye cream too.

Agree with this, I've used eye cream since I was 30, am 36 now, and I've always tended to splash my face with lukewarm water rather than use a toner most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 saraasull

nougatti? you say you have a good skincare routine... would you have many lines and wrinkles at 36? at what age did you notice your first lines?

and also what is a good skincare routine?

basically i put a body moisturiser on my face every morning followed by rimmel/maybelline makeup. at night then i cleanse my face with nivea wash and i put a dab of the body moisturiser on my face afterwards and then go to bed. i repeat this every day.

would my routine be a good one? should i be exfoliating or using a face mask? i never do either of these!
    also, i have never used an eye cream, and my eyes tend to sting at night when i wash them with the nivea cleanser. what eye cream relatively cheap could i use? i think i have a sample clinique one. what does it do for your eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

nougatti? you say you have a good skincare routine... would you have many lines and wrinkles at 36? at what age did you notice your first lines?

basically i put a body moisturiser on my face every morning followed by rimmel/maybelline makeup. at night then i cleanse my face with nivea wash and i put a dab of the body moisturiser on my face afterwards and then go to bed. i repeat this every day.

would my routine be a good one? should i be exfoliating or using a face mask? i never do either of these!
    also, i have never used an eye cream, and my eyes tend to sting at night when i wash them with the nivea cleanser. what eye cream relatively cheap could i use? i think i have a sample clinique one. what does it do for your eyes?

The body moisturiser might be too greasy for prolonged facial use. You don't have to go nuts on price with foundation or facial moisturiser, I think different products suit different people. I use mac because I'm addicted to the stuff by this stage. Moisturisers, I find any boots/generic brands do the job. Facial wash is grand, you should try using an exfoliating face mask once a week (2 birds with one stone). Eye cream, I like lancome. You need to dab it on (not rub) before going to bed. It delays wrinkles. Moisturiser is wayyyy too harsh for the delicate eye area.

• Advertisement

Well I cleanse/tone (usually with water or witch hazel) then moisturise as above in the morning. Then I put on my makeup if I'm working.

Cleanse/tone to remove the makeup in the evening after I get home from work, more moisturiser.

Before bed I use an eye cream and a night cream, a hand treatment and a foot treatment. If you are using eyecream then you dot it around the sockets of your eyes, not into the skin around your eyes.

Once a week I exfoliate my face/neck.

I'd imagine you need to use a toner to close your pores after cleansing or do the lukewarm/tepid water routine. I'd never use a cleanser on my eyes, I've an eye makeup remover I use for that. Exfoliating most products imo are fine, you need to find one that suits you, I use a clinique one.

Tbh I've no really defined lines, if I smile or frown I have lines around my eyes or forehead and mouth, and I kinda like them, they are reflective of me and my life to date :)

I don't know when they first appeared either probably in the last five years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

OP I'm 19 and follow a good skincare regime, I think once you
    eat well and exercise you will look great in your thirties.
    I know it can be daunting for some women but don't worry
    just focus on looking your best and making yourself feel good.

Advertisement