Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way for desktop to go wireless

Options
  • 02-04-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

So the parents just bought a Compaq PC package for an office in the garage.

The eircom router is in the house and there is no wireless capability on the new PC. There is provision to add a wireless antenna, but I haven't been able to find a Compaq model to suit.

So, do I need a USB wireless adaptor or a router to go wireless (it can be either)? Given that the signal has quite a distance to travel (around 60 ft, through a number of walls), can anyone recommend something that will do the job adequately?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This is not going to be much help to you really but it is virtually impossible to predict the performance of any wireless equipement in advance and especially when it has to go through walls as in your case.

In the ordinary course of things the easiest thing to do would be just buy a usb dongle with an an ordinary usb extension lead to give a bit of flexibility.

When you say there is is provision to add an aerial what do you mean? If there is no wireless card in the pc an aerial is irrelevant.

Do you know if by any chance the garage electricity is on the same ciruit as the house? If it was the case a plug solution might be the best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If at all possible run a cat5 cable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

dub45 wrote: »
    In the ordinary course of things the easiest thing to do would be just buy a usb dongle with an an ordinary usb extension lead to give a bit of flexibility.

Like this?

http://adverts.ie/201983

or this

http://adverts.ie/204291
    When you say there is is provision to add an aerial what do you mean? If there is no wireless card in the pc an aerial is irrelevant.

On the setup instructions, there was a section on connecting to the internet, with CAT5 and wireless (via adding an antenna to the tower) options detailed. I'm afraid I don't have the model number, so can't check the spec from here.
    Do you know if by any chance the garage electricity is on the same circuit as the house? If it was the case a plug solution might be the best way to go.

Good point-the garage is not connected to the house-there is a space of around 5-7 metres. I'm not sure how I can check if it is on the same circuit?
    PogMoThoin wrote:
    If at all possible run a cat5 cable

Possible, but not likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

well hello there i have just had the same problem with my desktop i got it sorted by getting myself a linksys wireless usb adaptor it works a treat at 20 meters now thats me i am on the ntl 20meg deal you said you were eircom so the best thing to do is run a cat 6 cable not a cat 5 a cat 6 is the best for running cable out doors as the cold does not mess with it as much as the cat 5 trust me i know get yourself 25 meters tack it to the wall up to the garage and away you go if you are haveing trouble with pm me and i will sort it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Running CAT cable outdoors ideally requires specific cable with a tough outer jacket to hold upto the elements and is UV resistant.

You can of course run normal CAT cable but it will beakdown and deteriorate over time & will have to be replaced.

Wireless is handy...when it works. Otherwise it can be a nightmare, so even if it means a small amount of extra work, a cable just works!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement