Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone recommend an external monitor for my laptop please?

• 02-04-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I have a 2009 MacBook pro 13" running Leopard.

I'm looking for an external monitor for use at home ... it has to be reasonably cheap and around 24". I was looking at the Dell ST2410 (approx E230 ... this is my max budget), and some stuff from LG but I'm a bit lost to be honest.

Can anyone recommend something that might suit please? Could you also include the cable I'll need to hook the MacBook to the monitor please.

Thanks in advance ... ToadVine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ToadVine wrote: »
    I have a 2009 MacBook pro 13" running Leopard.

I'm looking for an external monitor for use at home ... it has to be reasonably cheap and around 24". I was looking at the Dell ST2410 (approx E230 ... this is my max budget), and some stuff from LG but I'm a bit lost to be honest.

Can anyone recommend something that might suit please? Could you also include the cable I'll need to hook the MacBook to the monitor please.

Thanks in advance ... ToadVine

I have an ST2210 and I'm very happy with it. As for the adaptor (Mac-DVI)or(Mac-VGA) I dont know, IIRC they arent cheap.

This is what you need:
    mdportdvi.jpg
    You'll also need a straigh DVI to DVI(Male Male) to connect the adaptor to the screen.

Thats the screen + ~40 for cabling:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I recommend lg, get a 22inch widescreen with dvi,and vga if you wanna use it for a console too.
    SEE here http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3408794/art/lg/w2261vp-pf-22-wide-tft-sc.html,
    2ms response time is good.
    I see no point in getting 24 unless you are doing photo editing,or 3dvideo design.it HAS DVI,VGA ,HDMI for movies or consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

OK ... thanks for the replies.

I've decided on the Dell ST2410 24" Monitor. I'm still confused about the adapters I'll need. The monitor comes with a VGA cable, but not a DVI cable.

So what cables and adapters do I need to get this monitor connected to my MacBook Pro 13"?

If the mac has only dvi out, get a dvi to vga adaptor, maplins 7 euro approx.
    OR get a mac interface to vga cable.
    ie mAC-VGA cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I would also say connect it to your TV. Thats what I have and its the best solution. In fact my TV is no longer the Main TV as I use it for the PC exclusively :D

• Advertisement

MONITOR cable is vga male, you,ll need a mac to vga female connector.
    SAY mac has dvi ,thats a dvi to, vga female connector,maplins should have 1.

Advertisement