Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 02-04-2010 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

My youngest dog, a JRT cross, had a lump removed from her hind leg last week (it turned out to be a harmless fatty lump) and had the bandage removed last Saturday. Because the stitches were still in, the vet put a lamp shade on to stop her chewing at them and this was a disaster. She's a nervous little thing and the lampshade terrified her. When we got her home she literally stood where she was placed and whined continually. The only time she stopped was when the lampshade was removed to let her eat or drink (she couldn't get her nose into the dish with it on) and cowered away from us whimpering when we put it back on.

On Monday disaster struck. I took the lampshade off to give her her breakfast and she hightailed it out of the room into the bedroom and under the bed where she remained for half an hour. When we eventually got her out she had chewed the stitches out. I took her back to the vet who restitched the wound and bandaged it up again. All was well until today when she started nibbling at the bandage while I was out.

A lot of the problem is that because she's not allowed out with the other two (the wound is near the knee and the vet has forbidden the long walks and chasing balls which all three usually have) and she's bored without company while we're out. A friend suggested that I put the lampshade back on while we're out but she was so terrified by it before that I'm reluctant to put her through the torture again, but I may have to if she keeps chewing at the bandage. The vet has said that because it's a restitching the stitches must stay in until next Monday week. I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to ensure she leaves the bandage alone without having to resort to the lampshade again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

You could try putting mustard on it ,a lot of dogs hate the taste of it.You'll have to apply it every couple of hours as they will have a go at licking it off but it does seem to deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Unfortunately, the dog will keep chewing at her bandages without the lampshade. I know it's tough seeing them morph personalities but I think the lampshade is necessary. Here's a link that may be useful for you.

http://www.freedogtraininginfo.com/109/lampshades-on-dogs-elizabethan-collar/

Also, can someone else bring your other two dogs out for the few days? or can someone stay behind with your dog. i think they're meant to be supervised while wearing the lampshade and by distracting her when the other two are out, it won't be as bad. I hope she gets better soon. Breaks my heart when my dogs have problems :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

KaiserMc wrote: »
    You could try putting mustard on it ,a lot of dogs hate the taste of it.You'll have to apply it every couple of hours as they will have a go at licking it off but it does seem to deter them.

+1, the mustard trick often works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ooh I forgot, there are also new inflatable neck-collars, (look like neck pillows) out that might also work. Check your petshop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll try the mustard and will have a look for an inflatable thingy for her. Unfortunately it's not possible for anyone to look after her while we're out as my daughter is at work and the rest of the family live on the other side of the city. Next week I think I'll just give the three of them short walks on the lead - it won't do the other two any harm for a short while.

Once again, thanks for all the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I've heard about the mustard thing too but my daughter's dog actually loves mustard (you'd have to know this dog to understand:D)! But I heard Pete the Vet on TV3 recently saying that the one thing a dog will not touch is pineapple - that might be worth a try?
    You can also get a soft texture grooming muzzle that might stop being able to chew at the stitches, although they don't like muzzels very much either if they're not used to them.
    None of this is probably any help to you at all but I wish you well with your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No offence, but mustard on a healing wound is a pretty stupid idea.
    So is leaving a dog unsupervised while it is wearing a collar (lampshade or otherwise). They can get themselves entangled in these yokes, trying to get them off and even strangulate themselves.

Time off work or leaving the dog with someone else is the only safe solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

You put the mustard on the Bandage not the wound ..it stops them tearing off the bandage to get at the wound.Common sense would tell you Not to put mustard on a bare wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ghost_ie wrote: »
    ... had the bandage removed last Saturday.
    KaiserMc wrote: »
    You could try putting mustard on it

:D

peasant wrote: »
    :D

Think Kaiser might be right about the common sense bit there! Surely nobody would think the mustard goes directly onto the wound??? Would they???:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Had to go to a family gathering tonight so I put some mustard around the top and bottom of the bandage (the bits Daisy usually chews at) and it worked brilliantly. I came home to find the bandage untouched. :) Thanks everyone :)

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Had to go to a family gathering tonight so I put some mustard around the top and bottom of the bandage (the bits Daisy usually chews at) and it worked brilliantly. I came home to find the bandage untouched. :) Thanks everyone :)

Great stuff! And good girl Daisy - you're on the mend!;)

Advertisement