Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city - where to buy good SDHC memory cards and USB SD reader?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭

As the title says - where to buy a decent SDHC card, say 8Gb, and a fairly small USB reader? I'd have a look around myself only I need to get it straight after work, so I'm basically relying on someone else having recently done the hard work of comparing prices in shops.

I'll pay a reasonable price for the card, just don't want to be completely bent over just because I got short notice of having to buy it!
    Had a quick google around last night, tidy sized SD specific USB readers seem to be thin on the ground.
    It's for someone who's going back packing, so the less gear the better - a usb key sized SD reader is all they need, not a 56-in-1 reader.

Maybe this should be in a electronics/photography forum but it's very Limerick specific - with the traffic for the match this evening I have time to make one trip into town and then I have to get the hell out of Dodge..

thanks in advance oh wise ones :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Call Maplins (061 423769), PC World (061 431188), Currys (061 431392), and check www.argos.ie. That'll give you a good starting point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Cool, Argos is out of the equation unless I'm really stuck - pretty expensive for memory cards - seem to be twice the Komplett price for Sandisk Ultra (I know I'm not including postage, and I'm willing to pay a certain amount for convenience of being able to pick it up after work but still...)

Maplin website is in sterling only, but at least I can get a specific model number and inquire about price of it over the phone.

I hate ringing some shops without very specific questions - I always seem to get the monkey that prices the first cheap product he can see, without taking any of my requirements into consideration...

Haven't been into any of the camera/photo shops round the city, any recommendations? If I can do the job on lunch I can plunge straight into the russian-roulette of amber flashing traffic lights straight after work...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Didn't they have them a couple of weeks ago in aldi? You can also try the mobile phone shops, but I reckon if you go to the parkway retail park, they've got PC World and Curry's, both of which should have what you need.

PC World isn't that bad for pricing of flash drives these days. No idea about their SDHC cards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Cheers boys, looks like Currys is the cheapest and the handiest.
    34.99 for lexar premium 8gb - seems like a suspiciously low markup versus 29.99sterling! That's a over the phone price, hopefully not a mistake..

Bad day for ringing around, the places that aren't closed for good friday are busy I'd say.

Other prices - 39.99 for a fuji card, local limerick shop
    "around 50euro" - hardly normal
    Maplin and Argos are way off the mark too.

Was in Portugal recently - significantly cheaper! should have stocked up!

Advertisement