Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel i5 build - graphics card?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

After virtuallly building lots and lots of machines, I think I am finally setting on this one - so I'm in need of yer opinions:

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-27)
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    Casecom 6788 Black Mid Tower Case with Full Black Interior/Exterior 120mm Blue LED Front Fan - No PSU
    120mm Blue LED Fan - 4pin Molex Connection
    Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
    Belkin Anti-Static Wrist Band
    Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer & RAM Burner + LightScribe Black Bare Drive
    All in 1 Internal Card Reader Plus One USB2.0 Port (Black)
    ASUS P7H55D-M EVO Socket 1156 i5/i7 VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard

I'll be using it to video edit and do some effects stuff, along with general use. What do ye think? The i7 is just a bit too pricey for me at the moment.

Also, could ye recommend a graphics card for the build?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

If you're not planning on playing any games you could get away with a 4770/5750 for low power and decent graphics combination. For video editing however you could make use of CUDA on nvidia cards. I believe they come packaged with rendering software which really speeds up video work. You should be able to fit a geforce 260 on that power supply without any issues but if you wait a few weeks word might come out of nvidias new medium tier cards built on their new chip. They will help lower the price on current nvidia cards and if they are any use(Which I doubt) then you could get one of those instead.

That all depends on whether you want to use your graphics card for video rendering. It really is great though and the amount of power in graphics cards that is just being wasted on games is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Cheers for the heads up. I will wait to get the graphics card in that case. What do you think of the rest of the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Looks solid to me. You don't need an anti static wristband though, I've never heard anything about that case before but a quick google doesnt show up anything bad. Looks like a good case. One thing to note would be the power supply. If you plan on getting a new nvidia card you may want to up the power supply to a 550 or 600 just for the sake of having a good amount of head room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Super. Thanks.

Advertisement