Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question for humanists

• 02-04-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

what's your opinion on the idea that Jesus died for our sins on this day?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A useful fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

branie wrote: »
    It's as far fetched as believing some scientist invented a species in his own image. But, he didn't like what the species were doing so he cloned himself and turned the clone into that species and sent the clone to the species. Then the clone went around telling the species some stories. Some good, some freaky. Then the clone was tortured by some of the species and he chose to die so that the species could be forgiven. For next hundreds and thousands of years the species were then supposed to worship the clone but instead of doing that they had fights with their cousins about what the clone really said. In others cases they killed each other over it.

It's like crazy sci - fic for 8 year olds. Except in your case it's called religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

I think the doctrine of original sin that underpins the Crucifixion story is quite revolting so the idea bothers me.

The fact that the story was the basis for European anti-Semitism for nearly two millennium also makes me uneasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What are these "sins" for which this person supposedly died - and how was that supposed to help? I know (from experience!) that actions have consequences, but I don't believe in "sin" as an abstract concept anyway. If there is good to be done in this world, can you do good by leaving this world?

There was a film a few years ago called Seven Pounds, starring Will Smith as a character who tries to "atone for his sins" in a real-world fashion. His sin was causing a car crash that killed seven people. I haven't seen it, but I read the spoilers, so I know how it ended.
    He donates various organs to other people over the course of the film, then commits suicide in a way that preserves his heart and other organs. Overall, seven lives were saved by his seven "pounds of flesh", each of which represented a debt in the Shakespearean sense (c.f. The Merchant of Venice).

I don't know if I agree with the message of the film, but the point is that it illustrates how "atonement" might look in the real world. I don't see any of that in the Good Friday myth, no means by which any real good could be done by getting nailed up.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Ideas such as this are confining 21st century minds in 12th century imprisonment.

Of course there is never any tangible proof offered to support the idea, which seems closely connected to child abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This particular humanist is very glad that Jesus died on the Cross for our sins(although whether it was 'on this day' is open to question).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    This particular humanist is very glad that Jesus died on the Cross for our sins(although whether it was 'on this day' is open to question).

but but but but but, that's our thing, get your own! :pac:

I'm going to start a new club, the club of no PDNs.

200px-HomertheGreat.png

Contradictory nonsense, most likely a rash attempt of cult members to try and explain (not particularly well) why their "messiah" who had come to lead them to glory had just been executed by the Romans.

Just ask a Jew what they think of Jesus dying for our sins. You will get a similar answer to when you ask a Christian what they think of Mormonism (ie that **** crazy)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Are you boys married or something? Can't one post without the other replying in the very next post? :confused:

Dyflin wrote: »
    Are you boys married or something? Can't one post without the other replying in the very next post? :confused:

What are you, stalking us?

I can't marry him, his religion forbids it. So I'm trying to subtly convert him .... but shhh don't tell him

• Advertisement

I think anyone can die and declare they're doing it for everyone else.
    Well maybe not quite everyone - if this man really did die on a cross and thought of something other than himself when doing so that's pretty admirable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on how you read the original question - is it 'what do you think of the idea' or 'what do you think of the factual basis'?

it would be nice to think that someone up there likes us, but the idea of letting your son die to get a message across seems a bit extreme - probably nothing more than theatre to get peoples' attention.
    like others, i don't actual know how someone else dying affects my sins, or how he can die for my sins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Its a useful tool to justify more killing, thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Wicknight wrote: »
    I'm going to start a new club, the club of no PDNs.
    No PDNs.
    You're allowed to have one.
    :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

He should have taken the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I find the whole concept abhorrent, since I find the concept of sin abhorrent.

Advertisement