Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi, seems the motherboard is gone in my Acer Aspire T660 Desktop.

I have gone through the checks listed in various posts and still have no joy in getting the PC to bootup. I have tried with a different power supply and different RAM would but it appears to have bitten the dust.

It's an Intel RC415T-AM Pentium 4 board. Where would I buy a replacement board? Would I have to buy the same acer motherboard again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

RodVelvet wrote: »
    Hi, seems the motherboard is gone in my Acer Aspire T660 Desktop.

I have gone through the checks listed in various posts and still have no joy in getting the PC to bootup. I have tried with a different power supply and different RAM would but it appears to have bitten the dust.

It's an Intel RC415T-AM Pentium 4 board. Where would I buy a replacement board? Would I have to buy the same acer motherboard again?

Alright, from digging around a bit, its a socket 775 motherboard from what I can see. I cant find a mention of the form factor though, and you need that to determine what motherboard to get. If you could measure the motherboard and get back to me with the measurements, I'll let you know what form factor it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

It could also be your CPU i had a smiller problum last year bought a new board and it turned out to be the cpu

I would sugest going to adverts.ie and trying to pick up a cheap board there if you wanted to go for a cheap upgrade to a dual core cpu and new board i could stick an ad up there that way you rule out the cpu as well you can just use the ram you have on the board and it will fit in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Cheers Deano, I'll measure it up and get back to you. One of my mates has a spare processor, is it worth putting it in to check it. Can I do any damage to the other processor if I try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Cheers Deano, I'll measure it up and get back to you. One of my mates has a spare processor, is it worth putting it in to check it. Can I do any damage to the other processor if I try it?

No, you cant do any damage by putting a processor in a damaged motherboard. Good idea to try it out, narrows your choice of faulty parts down

Tried another processor in the motherboard and it's still not booting up. I'm eager to use the old HDD as I need to use the programs that are on it. I have tried to put the old HDD into another Vista machine but it won't boot up, it just restarts.

This seems to be the same motherboard

In order to use the same programs again would I be as well off to try and get the above motherboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tried another processor in the motherboard and it's still not booting up. I'm eager to use the old HDD as I need to use the programs that are on it. I have tried to put the old HDD into another Vista machine but it won't boot up, it just restarts.

This seems to be the same motherboard

In order to use the same programs again would I be as well off to try and get the above motherboard?
    You shouldn't have any problems just replacing the motherboard, technically you should be able to boot up and just install the proper drivers and your on your way again, there's no need for the motherboard to be the same model. Hopefully the motherboard hasn't taken other bits like the CPU with it.

Even if everything is wrecked you should be able to replace everything bar the Hard drive and still boot up into your existing windows installation. It worked for me, so your programs and data should be safe enough if the hard drives ok.

Hard drive is working fine so I'm just going to get another motherboard. I have measured the motherboard and it's 230mm*250mm. Processor is pentium 4 and it's a socket 775 motherboard. What form factor is this and is there any particular type ?

The case measurements are listed in this link:The case measurements are listed in this link

Can anyone tell me which form factor this casing should take?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think you need an mATX LGA775 mobo. But you may have trouble getting things running again without a full wipe of the HDD as that Acer has a very weird chipset...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Changing of motherboards is tricky; it will depend of OS, chipset and other things. Also, you will (may) have to reactivate Windows.
    If you have access to a different machine, add the HDD as slave and backup your data before.

• Advertisement

Hi, have put in the new motherboard and everything seems to be booting up correctly. Windows just goes into system recovery mode and won't let me do a system restore. Vista is the OS i'm using. I have made a backup of the hard disk. If I click on a complete restore which I assume will delete all my files, if I restore the backup will I be able to access my old programs or will I need to install them again?

Advertisement