Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving in Rio de Janeiro?

• 02-04-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

:confused:Heading to Rio de Janeiro for 2 weeks in May and want to get in some diving. Anyone have any advice on...
    -good dive shops?
    -good dive sites in or near Rio?
    -conditions for diving in Rio (in May) ?
    -variety of aquatic lifewhere to surf in the city or nearby?
    -costs?
    -tips/recommendations?

(Lonely Planet guidebook is useless, and all dive shop websites I can find are in Portugese!). I have about 15 dives logged, and have my advanced and rescue diver from PADI

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

I have no personal experience of tis centre, but it looks as though it might do the job:

http://www.divepoint.com.br/Default.aspx?codidioma=2

If I were diving Brazil, Rio would not be on my wishlist. Better diving up north.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Woofer wrote: »
    :confused:Heading to Rio de Janeiro for 2 weeks in May and want to get in some diving. Anyone have any advice on...
    -good dive shops?
    -good dive sites in or near Rio?
    -conditions for diving in Rio (in May) ?
    -variety of aquatic lifewhere to surf in the city or nearby?
    -costs?
    -tips/recommendations?

(Lonely Planet guidebook is useless, and all dive shop websites I can find are in Portugese!). I have about 15 dives logged, and have my advanced and rescue diver from PADI

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I know nothing about Rio. But I wish you luck. Enjoy yourself.

However:
    PADI OW = 4 dives
    PADI AOW = 5 dives
    PADI Rescue Diver = 4 dives
    so that's 13 of your 15 logged dives were instructional dives.
    Can I make a suggestion?: leave off the training certs for a wee while and get yourself some more experience.
    ( I apologise if you already know this: for all I know, it could be the reason you're going to Rio)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

Hi there, I am not a diver but my partner is and we have just come back for a three week trip to brazil. He did 2 days diving in a town called Buzios which is about 3 hours by bus north of rio and 2 days on ilha grande which is to the south of rio. Going by the water in and around the city itself I don't think that you would be able to see anything. On ilha grande he used a company called elite diving and one of the staff spoke english. hope that helps enjoy your holiday, brazil was great but it could be handy to learn a little portuguse before you go as very few people speak english.

Advertisement