Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance

• 02-04-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Is there a Boards.ie sub-forum or anywhere to discuss insurance options etc. or is that allowed on the boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

By option what do you mean?

Optional extras & all that or first time insurance recommendations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Yes I mean first time to be insured. I have a learner permit and I am doing the Leaving Cert at the moment so I plan to get insured after it and learn to drive. What I'd like to know is what companies are out there I guess, are there any that are renowned for good prices or are they all around the same? (For my age group and sex they are probably all sky high!).
    Is there any negotiating with insurance companies at all? It might seem like a stupid question, but could I say for instance, I will get 10 Simulator lessons before hitting the road for some lessons would they be willing to lower the premium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Take out the golden pages, or go to their website and look up car insurance. Plenty of insurance companies and brokers there. The best thing to do is to ring up as many as you can and get the best deal. It's a pain but it's the only way you'll get the best quote.
    It's going to be expensive, there's no escaping that, but you may as well look for the best quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Quinn will give you a decent quote but they're dodgy people...
    I got my first time insurance from Aviva.

All the mainstream/big insurance companies should insure you.
    The smaller ones like FBD, 123.ie and the likes will not insure you first time.

Aviva has this thing where you get free insurance on a car for 6 months if you book 10 driving lessons with them. Though you need to find someone who's already got insurance with Aviva for that to work. http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/benefits/young-drivers/

Depending on the car you're looking to insure, you're looking for something around 1900eur for a 1l Nissan Micra like car to about 2500eur for a 1.4l car.

I'm 22, prov license and I just paid 2500eur for my 1999 1.4 Ford Puma. Quite pricey but I preferred Aviva as they're much better to deal with than Quinn (who I think gave me about 100eur cheaper quote). And they have this ignition course thing you can do after you get your full license which will reduce your premium significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

FBD, 123.ie, hooper dolan, insure.ie are all brokers. They do not insure you directly, they will just go off to one of the insurers and try to get you the best quote.
    By the way, online quoting systems are very bad for under 25 year olds. Trust me, i know from experience. Best bet is to ring around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thanks for the replies :)
    I will call around on Tuesday to get a few quotes, the ball-park figures you mention here are serious. Its terrible being a sterotype and statistic! Avivia seems to be the only company welcoming inexperienced drivers with incentives which is good. The other companies might try and sell me something tuesday too though, all will be revealed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

When you've narrowed it down to the last few there's no harm in letting one know that another has quoted you a cheaper price...some of them really want the business & might surprise you by coming down a bit..Quinn did this for a few people I know..things might have changed in the last few months but it's worth a shot:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,950 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I found the online quotes mental.

Bearing in mind I'm an oul' one on a learner permit and was looking for cover on a munchkin car Micra, I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Wrong.

Quinn quoted 1100, one of those 'laydees only' ones wouldn't quote at all.
    In the end I got fully comp through a trade union scheme for 550. So it absolutely pays to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

spurious wrote: »
    I found the online quotes mental.

Bearing in mind I'm an oul' one on a learner permit and was looking for cover on a munchkin car Micra, I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Wrong.

Quinn quoted 1100, one of those 'laydees only' ones wouldn't quote at all.
    In the end I got fully comp through a trade union scheme for 550. So it absolutely pays to shop around.

:eek: 550 for a micra!!! Nah I'd have abandoned the car if it wasn't for the online ones, every where I rang wanted 1200-2200, I got fully comp online quote from a broker, for just over 600 included everything except breakdown cover & I can drive anyone elses car lol I love that bit :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement